Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ask him to stop?

(22 Posts)
RainbowSparkles Wed 14-Jun-17 20:27:01

My neighbour has just got his hedge trimmer out, he started but is now on his phone. It is loud and directly under DD(7) open bedroom window. It is far too hot to close the window.
She has not long gone to bed and is now moaning that it is too noisy to get to sleep.
I think he is inconsiderate for starting this now so would it be unreasonable to him to stop and do it at a more reasonable hour another day?

19lottie82 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:28:26

It's only 830 and it's Summer. I think YABU, sorry.

NavyandWhite Wed 14-Jun-17 20:28:52

Personally I wouldn't. It's not that late.

Sirzy Wed 14-Jun-17 20:28:59

Yabu.

You can ask him to stop. Might not listen though.
I sympathise though as it's bloody annoying!

icelollycraving Wed 14-Jun-17 20:30:40

I understand why it's not great but the world doesn't stop their noise (sadly wink) for children's bedtimes. It's too early to ask him to stop.

Ginnotgym Wed 14-Jun-17 20:33:39

I wouldn't ask him to stop as am a bit shy of confrontation with neighbours, but I think he's massively inconsiderate to make that much noise after your (and anyone else's) DC is in bed.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 14-Jun-17 20:43:52

It's 8.30, it's summer. Lots of people don't get home til 7 or 8 pm which leaves little time to do garden work.

It's selfish to leave a noisy machine running while it's not in use though.

RainbowSparkles Wed 14-Jun-17 20:45:26

Thanks for the replies, I didn't have to ask him as he put it away.
Are loud garden tools after 8 really ok even if it is summer? What time would you say that it does become unreasonable?

Redsippycup Wed 14-Jun-17 20:52:46

When it gets dark I'm afraid. I'm fairly sure noise limits only apply after 11pm.

There's any number of legitimate reasons why people would be gardening / doing diy in the evenings - it's fairly normal ime.

VWVAN Wed 14-Jun-17 21:07:05

The rest of the world doesn't stop because you have a child. We have a neibour who moans at the sound of my DH motorcycle being started up too early when he leaves for work (6.45am) I'm sure she would think it reasonable if he offered to walk the 25 miles he has to travel each way to get there

frankie001 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:17:55

I felt really old when I was trying to sleep last night, but was being kept awake by kids playing in the street, so it works both ways! (I didn't ask them to be quiet) smile

StillDrivingMeBonkers Wed 14-Jun-17 21:24:11

To say power garden tools 'because its daylight' is perfectly ok, because (a) its day light (b) people commute , I assume you wouldn't mind him using them at 4.40am, or sunrise seeing as it's day light and lots of people get up for work early and do chores before they go?

OP in the real world, no one would use electric garden equipment past around 7pm, 7.30 at a push. And yes, they commute too, but they also realise that other people have children and those without often like to sit outside and unwind. Perhaps my neighbours are just a little more thoughtful?

RainbowSparkles Wed 14-Jun-17 21:55:46

VWVAN going to work at unsociable hours is something that people have to do, hedge trimming at unsociable hours is not. I am a mother and I do realise that the world doesn't stop for my children but sometimes I would like it too, if that makes me unreasonable then so be it.
Bonkers that is how I see things, my whole street has always (until today) been quiet after 8 pm so I must have really considerate neighbours.

ClopySow Wed 14-Jun-17 22:06:40

8.30 is creeping towards the wrong side of unsociable. 9pm is time to stop.

HappyUnicorn Wed 14-Jun-17 22:11:10

I think it is important to be considerate to those around us - we have a neighbour who thinks it's fine to use noisy angle-grinder thing at 8am on a Sunday morningangry. We would definitely not make a noise after 6pm or before 10am at weekends!

PenguinOfDoom Wed 14-Jun-17 22:12:24

Actually, I think 8.30pm on a weeknight with a hedge trimmer is pretty inconsiderate. I don't have DCs but I would be annoyed if my neighbour did that and I'm very tolerant of garden noise, whether it be other people's kids screaming or lawn mowing.

Just because it's still daylight doesn't mean you should do it.

Lovelilies Wed 14-Jun-17 22:26:46

I cut my lawn at 7pm tonight and felt bad!
I'm the only one with young Dc nearby though and had my 1 yo on my back in the sling 😂

RJnomore1 Wed 14-Jun-17 22:33:49

There's no time restriction on noise if it's nuisance.

19lottie82 Sat 17-Jun-17 10:31:01

I don't think trimming a hedge or talking on your phone in your garden counts as "nuiscence noise" when it's light outside!

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Sat 17-Jun-17 10:36:54

That's so rude of him! I can't believe anyone thinks it's ok. I bet he stopped early because someone did have a word with him. Kids need to get to sleep if course, but adults are also trying to wind down at that time. It's after dinner, time for a movie and a glass of wine. No one wants a noisy bloody hedge trimmer interrupting. He should do it after 9am, but before it gets too hot. He is very U.

BewtySkoolDropowt Sat 17-Jun-17 10:44:39

VWVAN, I have sympathy for your neighbour.

We have cars coming and going at all times where I stay, never a problem. I had someone with a motorbike next door for two days only. What a racket. I don't wake up easily, but that would have woken the dead. Really antisocial and tbh seemed to verge on noise for the sake of noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now