Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that DD didn't vote?

(25 Posts)
GeorgesMummy17 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:37:49

She is 18! It was her first election. She couldn't decide between conservatives or labour (aren't they completely different!?) she said she liked points from both, but just couldn't decide overall, so didn't bother.

AIBU to be a bit annoyed?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 13-Jun-17 18:39:21

No YABU - its her decision whether to choose to exercise her right to vote - it isn't compulsory

LedaP Tue 13-Jun-17 18:41:11

Yabu

nosyupnorth Tue 13-Jun-17 18:41:26

I can understand your frustration but at the same time if she doesn't really know what her views are/how they align with what parties stand for, abstaining is probably better than picking something at random. At eighteen if she's not had many opportunities to be politically engaged before I can see how it could be overwhelming.
I would encourage her to form a stronger opinion before the next election comes around though!

everthibkyouvebeenconned Tue 13-Jun-17 18:45:54

Her choice...but in my house you don't vote...you can't complain no matter what

GeorgesMummy17 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:47:05

At the end of the election (that she stayed up all night to watch!! So clearly was interested) said she was a bit disappointed with the result. I rolled my eyes. It's just frustrating!

I do get it's her choice though.

NoLoveofMine Tue 13-Jun-17 18:52:56

I don't think you are. You're not frothing with rage, just a bit annoyed. I wish I'd been able to vote and can't understand why you wouldn't unless you just don't care.

everthibkyouvebeenconned Tue 13-Jun-17 18:53:43

She will probably get another chance soon smile

Maybe she could educate herself on the differences before then so she feels confident to vote the right way for her...and understand how important it is that she votes no matter who she chooses

EngTech Tue 13-Jun-17 18:56:18

Her choice and the freedom to choose not to vote, but she can't complain if she is effected by any changes in the future

DarkFloodRises Tue 13-Jun-17 18:57:46

At least she was engaged in the process to sone degree. That's better than showing no interest at all!

Sandsnake Tue 13-Jun-17 19:03:59

YABU! Sounds like she gave it proper thought and decided against it. TBH I can understand that with this election, as I wanted neither May or Corbyn to win (I voted Lib Dem...). I

Leeds2 Tue 13-Jun-17 19:08:06

I think I would've suggested that she went and spoilt her ballot. Just to take part. But I think it is brilliant that she was sufficiently engaged enough to watch the results come in.

QuiteLikely5 Tue 13-Jun-17 19:12:29

Yabu! If she voted it would not have made any difference

disneykid Tue 13-Jun-17 19:13:14

I'm 18 and didn't vote. I have no idea about politics. No one cared. As long as she isn't sitting their moaning about it all it shouldn't be a problem.

ElleMcElle Tue 13-Jun-17 19:17:31

I'd suggest that every time she complains about anything that you can possibly link to politics, you interrupt her and tell her she lost her right to complain when she didn't turn up to vote. Hopefully, this will be so bloody annoying, she'll vote at the next election (later this year, at this rate!) just to shut you up!

YANBU to feel a bit annoyed. I'm a bit annoyed and she's not even my kid!

ElleMcElle Tue 13-Jun-17 19:19:48

@QuiteLikely5 - Increased turnout in younger demographics made a huge difference! Yes - the Tories are still in, but only just and - crucially - the political conversation has really changed. There's the seeds of a proper leftwing opposition for the first time in a long time...

everthibkyouvebeenconned Tue 13-Jun-17 19:22:02

Quitelikely not true. One seat was won by 2 votes.

Ficklemarket Tue 13-Jun-17 19:58:35

I would've suggested she spoil her ballot. Loads did in the French Presidential election- it got noticed. And some votes here were so tight a spoiled vote would make a very loud noise- dunno about your constituency.
As pp said, no vote no right to complain.

Floofborksnootandboop Tue 13-Jun-17 20:03:03

YAB Really fucking U

NoLoveofMine Tue 13-Jun-17 20:03:31

I dislike May and am not too keen on Corbyn either. You vote for your MP not a Prime Minister and I'd have voted for our excellent Labour MP (though I also far prefer Labour to the Tories anyway, for so many reasons).

everthibkyouvebeenconned Tue 13-Jun-17 20:04:13

Floof. Really

CherryChasingDotMuncher Tue 13-Jun-17 20:04:57

YABU. Nowt to do with you how she does or doesn't use her vote

VestalVirgin Tue 13-Jun-17 20:06:03

Couldn't she have voted for a smaller party?

I approve of people who have no idea about politics not voting, but if she knew enough about those two to know she couldn't decide, why not read up on other parties and vote for one of them.

Also, I don't get how she could be frustrated with the results when she couldn't form an opinion on what she wanted beforehand!

MissionItsPossible Tue 13-Jun-17 21:52:11

Yes YABU it's none of your business, everyone's vote is their own choice or option to vote at all and nothing to do with anybody else. At least she seems engaged and even if she wasn't, that's her choice not to care.

picklemepopcorn Tue 13-Jun-17 21:55:32

I encouraged DS to spoil his ballot rather than fail to send it in (postal). With hindsight, I wish I'd suggested he vote Green, to save them losing their deposit as they often do when people tactically vote labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now