Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to tell DH not to get a Diesel car?

(38 Posts)
Jedimum1 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:31:50

DH needs a new car. Ours is hitting the 100k miles, is 11yo and the exhaust rattles. We've gone to see cars today with the intention to buy. I have no clue about cars and other than colour and space, I'm not too bothered. However, I heard that there is new research on diesel being cancerous, highly toxic and in general a lot worse than claimed years ago. I have also read (ok, Daily Mail and Express, nothing very reputable) that there will be tax charges for diesel cars pre-2015. See for example www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/787133/diesel-tax-cars-fine-pollution-toxic-charge-UK

DH's favourite cars were all diesel from 2014. Very nice and I agree with all choices other than the fact that they are diesel. AIBU to say we cannot get that one and to try to find a petrol one? It seems that there are no petrol ones in our area (second hand, with reasonable mileage and good condition) for those specific models (Ford C-Max is the top choice). DH says out current car is due to break and needs a car asap, as we are only getting £500 for car exchange and fixing the exhaust is a lot more. AIB paranoid about the real first hand consequences of having a diesel car for the next 4-7 years?

Oysterbabe Sat 10-Jun-17 19:35:00

YANBU, there's no way I'd get one.

spanieleyes Sat 10-Jun-17 19:38:06

Me neither. I searched high and low for a low mileage, reasonably priced, second hand, petrol, automatic, MPV! Believe me, these are few and far betweengrin But I found one eventually!

ErrolTheDragon Sat 10-Jun-17 19:39:05

If I was buying a car today for high mileage mostly non urban driving, I'd still consider diesel but only ones conforming to Euro 6 emissions standards.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 10-Jun-17 19:39:06

To "tell him" what car he can buy - YABU. To discuss what you've read, and talk about the best way forward - fine.

LightastheBreeze Sat 10-Jun-17 19:41:58

We bought a 64 reg diesel recently as our old diesel car needed replacing, we don't live in any of the cities listed though and would only maybe make an occasional trip to any of them and if we had to pay £20, we would use my small petrol car, so I guess it mainly depends where you live and where you travel in it. We needed a diesel as they are far better if you go caravaning

PaintingByNumbers Sat 10-Jun-17 19:44:42

I wouldnt worry much over next few years, esp now government is so weak

Buckinghambae Sat 10-Jun-17 19:47:38

As per PP, choose one with Euro6 - understand the differences between NOX and SOX to be informed on the reality of the situation.

Jedimum1 Sat 10-Jun-17 21:32:05

Thanks, we live in a main city, so it might be definitely worth looking into alternatives. There seem to be lots of diesels of that model, fewer in petrol. I wonder if it's because diesel owners are getting rid of them or if it's because more diesel cars were produced / sold.

LightastheBreeze Sat 10-Jun-17 21:43:12

I think diesels are just popular because of the mpg they do, if you don't often travel long distances or tow a caravan they are often not the best car to have as they don't like short journeys, I only do a lot of short journeys in my car so would not consider a diesel whereas we do a lot of long journeys in our main car and also tow a caravan so a diesel is definitely best for that.

BlessYourCottonSocks Sat 10-Jun-17 21:52:54

I live in a rural area and drive 80 miles a day to work (40 miles each way). Driving 400 miles a week would cripple me financially if I had a petrol car. Diesel gets far more mpg.

Fairylea Sat 10-Jun-17 21:55:22

We do a lot of driving and I've seen a huge difference in how much we spend on fuel since we swapped to a similar sized diesel car, so for us I wouldn't want to go back to petrol. But that's not based on health risks etc etc just money!

hennaoj Sat 10-Jun-17 22:10:16

Diesel particulate filters require a long journey once a week or they break. Anyone I know whose ever had a diesel has had problems with the engines, expensive problems.

Corcory Sat 10-Jun-17 22:19:44

Have you thought about looking at a hybrid? That's what we are looking at next. I think diesel cars chuck out something like 100 times more particulates than petrol so no way am I getting another one.

engineersthumb Sat 10-Jun-17 22:20:45

The evidence of diesel pollution is not clear cut. For the time being I would not hesitate to buy a diesel for longer journeys.

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 10-Jun-17 22:46:53

If the only problem is a rattling exhaust on your otherwise completely fine yo 100k+ mile car, I'd keep it going personally!

Sort the exhaust. It'll be cheaper than a new car wink

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 10-Jun-17 22:48:27

Large cause of pollution is people buying new cars and not repairing perfectly fine 'old' ones.

Kokusai Sat 10-Jun-17 22:49:35

My car is diesel, 8 years old.

There is no way on earth I would buy one now knowing what we do about pollution.

They need to be taxed to fuck to encourage people to drive less and move to cleaner cars.

Kursk Sat 10-Jun-17 22:51:20

We have a Diesel, best car we had, we wouldn't go back. It's fuel efficient and can carry so much more.

They are more environmentally friendly than a petrol. But they are worse for human health.

Kokusai Sat 10-Jun-17 22:51:56

Should I clarify - I used to drive hundred of miles of M way driving a week. Now all I do is small urban driving with occasional longer trips.

Tesla has to be where it's at for a new car (keep dreaming)

Kursk Sat 10-Jun-17 22:52:44

I agree Reduce Recycle Reuse

Over the life cycle of a car, most its CO2 is in manufacturing. I would never buy a brand new car.

Schroedingerscatagain Sat 10-Jun-17 23:00:24

DH has a diesel company car that has just passed 100k miles in 3 1/2 years

The car scheme will only provide diesel as they are more fuel efficient, we've been so happy with this particular car (b class merc) that it's being replaced with the same

AdoraBell Sat 10-Jun-17 23:00:39

New Diesel engines are much cleaner, EU6 or later. I still wouldn't buy one at the moment though as it looks like there could be a scrapage scheme. If that happens the some people will not look at the actual emissions and assume all deisels are the same.

YAB a bit U to tell him what to buy/avoid, unless the purchase will impact family finances.

HicDraconis Sun 11-Jun-17 02:02:32

I wouldn't buy a diesel if your mileage is mostly shorter trips, around town driving - the engine needs a decently long run once a week to get up to proper operating temp or you'll run into issues. I would buy a diesel if you do 100 mile runs weekly or so.

I wouldn't replace a 10 year old car that had done 100k miles with a rattly exhaust either. I've just replaced my 17 year old car with 220k km on the clock with a 10 yo car / 68km on the clock, and I'm intending to keep my new one for the next 10+ years. My old one would have gone another 100k km (or more!) but lots of little gremlins creeping in meant it was more economical to replace than fix. If it had just been the exhaust I'd have kept it going. I'm expecting a good 3-400k km on the new one before it gets replaced.

People change cars far too frequently.

Cocklodger Sun 11-Jun-17 04:32:43

I'd keep the old car tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now