Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you voted Tory, would you now change your mind?

(215 Posts)
LongLiveTheChief Sat 10-Jun-17 19:26:00

Hey.

I don't want to start a debate but I am quite worried about DUP being in the position that they are now. I am totally relying on the information from the media with regards to their views etc, but I'm worried about what this holds for us.

I wondered for anyone that voted Tory, now they have a coalition with DUP, would you change your vote?

I'd love to hear everyone's views. I am not politically minded and as I said, a lot of what I read and understand is unfortunately from the media. With 2 little ones, reading the paper online is about as much as I can do!

Please do not come down on me if this is a silly post, I am genuinely interested xx

TheoriginalLEM Sat 10-Jun-17 19:30:18

My friend is from NI although lives here now. She says that whilst the DUP do have questionable ideals re homosexuality and allowing policies to be influenced by religeon they are absolutely not terrorist sympathisers as some fb memes seem to suggest.

Tbh i think me have more to fear from the tories.

purpleangel17 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:30:22

No, I would vote Tory again. I am not happy about the potential coalition but I think a coalition with DUP as minor partners is preferable to a Labour-SNP-Lib Dem-Green coalition headed by PM Corbyn. The fact I disagree with May's strategy doesn't make me any less a Conservative.

Leanback Sat 10-Jun-17 19:33:32

I'm sorry but how are they not terrorist sympathisers???? The unionists set off bombs too.

Bluedabbadee Sat 10-Jun-17 19:34:24

hmm

CrossWordSalad Sat 10-Jun-17 19:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrossWordSalad Sat 10-Jun-17 19:38:51

And perhaps look into some of Jeremy Corbyn's links and some of the organisations the Labour party cosies up with.

user1471453601 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:40:39

The original, what has your friend to say about the Ulster Voluteer Force? The UVF that DUP would like us all to forget about?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 10-Jun-17 19:41:01

It has been confirmed that it isn't a coalition nor a formal agreement but 'supply and confidence' so very much as it is now as they tend to agree with Tories voting wise.

user1471545174 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:41:23

I voted Tory because I liked our MP, who was beaten. I wouldn't vote for a Tory/DUP alliance and will only vote Tory when they are forming the centre ground. I wouldn't vote for another party but have voted LD.

grin at CrossWordSalad grin

CrossWordSalad Sat 10-Jun-17 19:43:20

Sorry, I see you have asked for nice answers. Apologies. I just don't want us to go through what we went through after the referendum again, with 37% of the electorate being treated and talked to as if they are lesser beings. But sorry, my post was ott for your polite OP.

Bejazzled Sat 10-Jun-17 19:43:46

Well said crosswordsalad

The answer btw is no

BandeauSally Sat 10-Jun-17 19:44:40

they are absolutely not terrorist sympathisers as some fb memes seem to suggest.

😂😂😂

Does she get many stand up gigs?

LongLiveTheChief Sat 10-Jun-17 19:45:57

I wasn't meaning to start anything, honestly! We live in a very 'labour' area and it seems to suit. There isn't anyone I know who I can ask this question, hence asking it here.

I am genuinely interested and kind of asked it to be educated about things too I guess so please do not make this something it isn't. X

user1471453601 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:47:43

And Crossworldsalad, how fucking rude. Why the he'll should I be banned from voting because I'm in my 60s? I may be nearer to death than my children and grandchildren ( I hope), but I still care that they should inherit a fair and better world than we have now, and vote accordingly

FinallyThroughTheRoof Sat 10-Jun-17 19:49:43

They will never admit it.

CrossWordSalad Sat 10-Jun-17 19:49:44

I've asked for MNHQ for my first post to be deleted. Sorry - the red haze came over me with flashbacks to 24th June.

I'm going to step away from the internet for a while smile

Chief flowers

CrossWordSalad Sat 10-Jun-17 19:51:18

Oh no, I'm offending everyone now. User It was irony.

leccybill Sat 10-Jun-17 19:54:24

Nobody voted for what we've got- that's what gets me. How is this democracy? Nobody wants this.

user1471453601 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:54:46

Crossworldsalad, for me, that's ok, I understand the red mist thing. Don't step away, shit happens and sometimes we react to it in away that we wouldn't normally do.

FreeNiki Sat 10-Jun-17 19:57:18

No. I wouldn't change it. I will never vote Labour unless Corbyn is no longer leader.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:59:00

Absolutely not. It's not what I expected, but I would not change my vote.

Having Jeremy Corbyn in charge would be far more horrific than the Tories working with the DUP.

ToneDeafHamster Sat 10-Jun-17 20:05:41

Nope. Conservative without a doubt.

All this hysteria after the event is quite frankly ridiculous.

MaQueen Sat 10-Jun-17 20:06:08

If the DUP are merely going to be providing 'support and confidence' to the Tories then actually very, very little (if anything) has changed because they traditionally vote with the Tories anyway.

BrownJenkins Sat 10-Jun-17 20:09:17

To answer the original question.
I voted Conservative and would do so again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: