Talk

Advanced search

To love this country

(18 Posts)
Nationcreationbusstation Fri 09-Jun-17 19:05:49

Even though I hate some of us, overall I love it and the people (not one and the same somehow). That's all, just had to post because it's an overwhelming feeling for me right now... I need a release.

Domino20 Fri 09-Jun-17 19:12:00

I agree, I'm thrilled with the high participation in the democratic process and that we can disagree with our fellow countrymen/women and leaders without fear of violence/imprisonment/death. We are truly lucky.

corythatwas Fri 09-Jun-17 19:25:09

Me too, and I am one of those unregenerate foreigners who insist on going around speaking foreign languages (several of them) and fail to cheer the right team at football (usually because I'm asleep by the time they score), and have been known to wonder what is so particularly British about these British Values we are told about (do people really believe the UK invented democracy?)

But all the same- I bloody love it! The whole election thing, the twitter feeds, Lord Buckethead and his manifesto, the courage and gentleness and grit that have come to the fore during these recent scary times: I love it and I wouldn't be anywhere else.

Even though I do come from an equally democratic system, with equal protection of free speech etc and an arguably better welfare state- I still bloody love it here! (and I haven't even started drinking yet)

swinging Fri 09-Jun-17 19:26:33

I love the spirit that persists through all the bullshit.

DarkFloodRises Fri 09-Jun-17 19:27:14

Me too OP smile

thelikelylass Fri 09-Jun-17 21:03:30

Me too, and think it should be ok to say you are proud to be Welsh/Irish/Scottish or...English. I love talking to friends and colleagues from other countries and asking them what they like about Britain, had some great answers (some very funny) and always moved by how passionate others are about the UK and how they have been (mostly) welcomed.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Jun-17 21:07:34

I do too

I proper welled up at the Evening Standard tonight and its article about how the 48 people who were attacked last Saturday all survived and the work of the trauma teams.

So pleased and proud. #reallynotreeling

And John Olivers last week tonight programme made me happy to be British too

And all the lovely democracy and our utterly nutterliness

lavenderhue Fri 09-Jun-17 21:17:44

I feel the same, the terrorist attacks have only strengthened that love. We'll get through, we have a strong resolve, a bunch of murdering cowards won't beat us.

vichill Fri 09-Jun-17 21:25:48

I've been fairly hateful and misanthropic since the EU ref but the last 3 weeks have stirred some serious national pride in me. I've found myself welling up at the #reeling memes, sobbed at the accounts of the have a go heroes (brits and non brits alike) and last night I burst into tears when "hung parliament" flashed up. We are a good bunch really. Hope is kindled.

paddlingwhenishouldbeworking Fri 09-Jun-17 21:55:05

Me too. Most of all I love the humour and the ability to laugh at ourselves.

Hail, Mr Buckethead, Elmo, Mr Fishfinger and the 'guy with a pint' in the midst of terrorist chaos and tragedy.

Its hard to bring a people down when they don't take themselves too seriously!

(Personal tragedy and hardship notwithstanding ofcourse).

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 09-Jun-17 21:58:14

YANBU. I love the UK and I'm very proud to say so ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง

Vonklump Fri 09-Jun-17 22:00:45

I hadn't heard of the guy with a pint!

Totally agree re Lord Bucket, Elmo (hat on for the reading them off again) and Mr Fishfinger.

So utterly British.

Fauchelevent Fri 09-Jun-17 22:11:28

I'm an immigrant's daughter and i can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I just want to leave and hate the "if you don't like it you can fuck off" attitude. I don't share a huge amount of pride in the history of this country because it doesn't feel like my history and I often feel out of place.

But there are a lot of things I love. How so many people, religions, nationalities can come together respectfully and with love DESPITE there being far right bigotry and awful people committing atrocities. I love British summertime when everyone's feeling good and throwing on a bbq. I love light summer evenings and Christmastime. I love the cultural references. The London Olympics intro made me so happy. I love that for example in London so many people come into their own here. I love the British seaside. I love visiting cities and seeing what makes them special. I love how green it is. I love the London Underground. I love our architecture.

And in my European circle of friends this would get me laughed out of town... but I like British food.
Keep your bloody grana padano and brie. A block of cheddar and I am delighted. I LOVE shepherds pie. Chip shop chips are excellent and even European DP cannot deny the irresistability of teatime treats like scones and victoria sponge.

Oh and I love our accents! Even the ones I can't bear to listen to, I really really love them. I love our self deprecating, dry sense of humour and I also love shitty Britpop from the early 2000.

I may not stay here forever but I'm very glad I grew up here.

Fauchelevent Fri 09-Jun-17 22:13:32

My Mum used to mix very British dishes like Sunday Roasts and shepherds pie, and Irish dishes like Irish stew and so on with our traditional foods and it was such a winning combination. Often meant double carbing but was often also double tasty.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Fri 09-Jun-17 22:23:51

Likewise - I love the landscape and the architecture and the "pitch in and muddle through" attitude (and cheddar and stodgy puddings, Fauch). Don't get me wrong, I love other countries too (have recently fallen in love with Italy, am making slow but determined progress in acquiring "survival Italian") - but here is home. Of course some things piss me off, but on the whole I love Britain.

deadringer Fri 09-Jun-17 22:23:57

I am irish and am proud to be so, i love this crazy, nosy, generous little island. But I also love our British neighbours, i love the humanity, the humour, the keep calm and carry on mentality. The talent that has come from Britain, the music, the literature, the works ot art. My favourite author is british, as is my favourite singer and my favourite actor.Take a bow Britain, you are fabulous!

User12345678912345 Fri 09-Jun-17 22:59:48

Me too OP ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ช๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ซ๐Ÿ’‘๐Ÿ‘จโ€โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ’‹โ€๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ’‹โ€๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‘จโ€โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง

FreeSpiritJen Fri 09-Jun-17 23:07:11

I love the UK too. For all it's flaws, we are fab really! smile

Wouldn't love anywhere else!

And we love you too @deadringer ^ grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now ยป

Already registered? Log in with: