Talk

Advanced search

to be paranoid about DVT and other complications

(9 Posts)
soontobeamum1982 Fri 09-Jun-17 18:42:27

I've posted before about my infuriatingly complicated pregnancy, but here's the latest....

I've had a really bad muscle strain in my right calf, and extreme muscle tightness which makes it hard to walk, since Tuesday. Thought it was probably a pulled muscle but, better safe than sorry, I went to the MAU at the hospital on Wednesday to be checked for a DVT. It had got a little bit less painful at that point. All they did was feel and measure the two legs, and concluded it was just a muscle strain, but warned me to come back if it swelled up or got hot, if i had chest pain etcetc.

While i was there my urine test came back with glucose (has done every time since 16 weeks, had GTT and passed) so they gave me a 48 hour finger pricking test kit, which saw my numbers all over the place. I now have another GTT booked for the week after next.

Now my leg is very sore again. I spoke to them today (to discuss the GTT appointment) and mentioned that my leg hurt more again and they said to give it another week to go off before I come back unless it swells or I have other symptoms.

Now i'm paranoid that my leg was fobbed off because they were more worried about my blood sugars. I'm tempted to go back for further checks tomorrow morning (can't go now, just finished a 14 hour shift at work at 32 weeks pregnant and MUST sleep, plus it doesn't hurt when i'm not walking).

Would a DVT get better and worse over time, like a pulled muscle, or would it just get progressively worse?

Am I being massively paranoid, or should I go back tomorrow? I've already had one doctor have a serious chat to me about anxiety since I've been pregnant. I can no longer tell when I'm doing the sensible thing and when I'm blowing everything out of proportion.

In other news, I cannot WAIT for pregnancy to be over.

soontobeamum1982 Fri 09-Jun-17 18:44:06

Also: online it says that the pain with DVT is worse if you flex your toes upwards towards the knee. My muscle hurts more when I flex the toes downwards to the floor. Does that rule DVT out?

AltCarbon Fri 09-Jun-17 19:19:41

I had several DVTs when I was pregnant with my second child and my leg became twice the size, turned purple and I couldn't walk or even move it without crying in pain. Obviously you should always raise your concerns with your midwive but they're probably right and you've strained a muscle. Keep an eye on the situation and phone the maternity unit if it gets worse or you're still worried. (Also despite the severe DVTs baby was fine and I made a full recovery so the treatment is effective)

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 09-Jun-17 19:37:34

Thing is, I had a DVT a few years back and it didn't become twice the size- slight ankle swelling- and didn't even get red let alone purple. I could barely put my foot on the floor for a couple of days, then it seemed to ease off. I won't go into all the details of the aftermath but yes, get it checked as many times as you think is necessary. I'd add, did you have an accident which caused the strain, or did you assume it was a strain when the pain started and that you must have overdone it at some point without realising? Because I assumed I had an Achilles tendon strain, despite having no accidents or even being sporty in general.

FrauL Fri 09-Jun-17 19:48:41

I got a DVT in my last pregnancy at 30 weeks, and initially thought it was pelvic girdle pain. No swelling in the bad leg. However, it got progressively worse over about ten days to the point it was agonising to walk, even a few steps. Getting in and out of the car or getting dressed was agony. Couldn't stand up in the shower. The only thing that looked different was that the affected leg was slightly more purple than the unaffected one, with some blue veins near where i had the pain, and I thank my GP for being conservative and getting me an ultrasound that found a massive clot in my femoral vein. Like the poster above, I have recovered with no ill effects (had to inject blood thinners for ages though!) If any of this sounds similar, get it checked out again, my doctors were very much of the school "better to be safe than sorry"

goodiegoodieyumyum Fri 09-Jun-17 19:50:18

I had a DVT with my First Child other than a sight swelling of my leg I had no symptoms, I am surprised they didn't scan your leg, if my husband hadn't have noticed my legs were different sizes, I would have no idea that I had a DVT. They didn't think I had a DVT but insisted I stay in hospital until I could have a scan the next day.

sparechange Fri 09-Jun-17 19:55:29

Can you ask if they will consider prescribing you blood thinners?

I have them - it is an injection into my stomach once a day
You have to stop them by your due date though because they don't want to increase your risk of a haemorrhage during labour

notpostedherebefore Fri 09-Jun-17 20:11:07

I haven't posted on mumsnet for years but read this and just need to post. I am a GP and think you need to go and see someone about this ASAP. I have seen DVTs with just a twinge in a muscle and no swelling at all. You are at high risk due to your pregnancy and the fact that it is getting worse and worse is very worrying. Go to an A+E department tonight (not a walk in centre- the quality of staff in them can be quite variable) and say exactly what you have now- and that it is getting worse- and that you are really worried that this could be a DVT. Keep pushing until someone takes you seriously.
Sorry to alarm you (the likelihood is that it isn't a DVT but there are enough symptoms there to merit a scan) but it is getting worse so needs to be seen tonight.

soontobeamum1982 Wed 14-Jun-17 16:15:05

Thanks everyone. It didn;t get better for a few days so i went back and asked for the scan. It was fine and just diagnosed as muscular. I was told off for not getting signed off work immediately to rest the leg (who does that for a painful muscle?)

Anyway, I now only have 2 days of work left thank god as the other calf has decided to give up too. I live at the top of a hill which obviously isn't helping with the extra weight i'm carrying. What with all the extra appointments regarding gestational diabetes etc, i'll be really really glad when this is over. Not sure I can bear being pregnant again, it's been awful from start to finish for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now