Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how on earth Jeremy Corbyn...

(148 Posts)
Dobbyandme Fri 09-Jun-17 10:09:50

...can see this election as a Labour win?

The Tories received a larger percentage of the overall vote. The Tories have come out of the election with a larger number of seats. The map is virtually blue south of Scotland.

What angle is he looking at this from that he thinks Labour have won, and that Theresa should resign when he should not?

I'm not asking for party/leader bashing. Really struggling to see this through his eyes and would like to be enlightened smile

Cherryflamingo Fri 09-Jun-17 10:10:36

biscuit

Dandandandandandandan Fri 09-Jun-17 10:11:19

It's not a win for labour.

It's a massive win for corbyn!

Dobbyandme Fri 09-Jun-17 10:12:11

You can keep that Cherry. It's a genuine question.

McTufty Fri 09-Jun-17 10:12:49

It was expected he would be trounced and he wasn't trounced, plus labour socked it to the tories given the context of the election. Basically he proved people wrong about his election performance and did better than expected. Best vote share for labour since Blair I think?

But I agree, labour don't seem to realise they've lost.

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Jun-17 10:13:40

It is a massive win for Corbyn as he doesn't actually have to deliver his promises.

SaucyJack Fri 09-Jun-17 10:14:57

Nobody won a majority, but the Tories did worse than last time and Labour did better.

The tide is turning.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 09-Jun-17 10:15:03

The Conservatives have lost 12 seats overall, they are 2.4% ahead of Labour.

Labour have gained 29 seats. Share for Labour is up 9.5% and for Conservative 5.5%.

Labour have done well, Conservatives were looking to gain about 60 seats which hasn't happened so if you look at what their aim was it is not a win. They don't have a majority, they wanted to increase the majority they did have.

SpringtoSummer Fri 09-Jun-17 10:15:06

The share of the absolute vote was almost equal and more people voted Labour than in 1997. That's an amazing result after the relentlessly negative press coverage.

TC called this election to get a personal mandate because she didn't like the bit of democracy that meant that those in opposition sometimes opposed. She didn't get it and has a reduced number of MPs now. As she made it personal, resigning seems sensible.

WannaBe Fri 09-Jun-17 10:15:31

I think it's a valid question. Yes they won a huge amount of seats and overall it is a seat win for labour but it's not an election win, and his talk of how they are the winners and essentially are now the party in charge made him look like a complete arse.

And no, I didn't vote Tory

MrsJoyOdell Fri 09-Jun-17 10:16:17

JC destroyed their majority, the majority that the arrogant TM thought she had in the bag. How is that not a win?

Noodledoodledoo Fri 09-Jun-17 10:17:13

Also with a hung parliment there is the chance the lower parties can form a coaliation but I haven't looked at numbers or paid enough attention since 3am to know if a minority government is possible.

ShowOfHands Fri 09-Jun-17 10:18:37

Given their starting points and aims and predicted expectations, Labour are winning in the same way that the Cons are losing. In the FPTP system, it's never as simple as winning or losing based on seats. Not in real terms.

Better campaign, performance, commitment etc? Not always reflected in seats won.

TheNaze73 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:19:04

He's done well from where the party were in 2015. So it's a win of sorts however, I agree with your point OP to a degree. It's a bit like winning the most improved player award.

NavyandWhite Fri 09-Jun-17 10:19:13

He hasn't won the election though MrsJoy. But I guess he's more than happy with the outcome so far.

VIPissArtist Fri 09-Jun-17 10:19:38

I can see why he feels this is a win. If you get right down on the floor - lie on the floor and then look up, thats where he has been and know he is on his knees looking up - its a big leap for him isnt it.

But its still a loose.

OohMavis Fri 09-Jun-17 10:20:51

This is an absolute win for the Labour party. Labour decimated their majority, the majority they arrogantly assumed they would return PLUS more.

She should never have called this election. She messed up royally.

roselondoner Fri 09-Jun-17 10:21:31

Big big win considering the state Labour was in before the election was called. No one had faith in him including those he was responsible for. The fact that they have managed not to allow a Tory majority is a HUGE win for them. Corbyn has proved himself as an incredibly capable leader. Winning isn't about actually coming first because that was nigh on impossible for labour. Winning is causing unrest and the hope of progressive alliance

Fab39ish Fri 09-Jun-17 10:23:00

Hilarious another thread. Yabu

Lweji Fri 09-Jun-17 10:25:31

He didn't win the election, but considering the gap in the polls when the election was called, and that Labour gained 31 seats and Con lost 12, he did well.

Certainly didn't let May get the confirmation she was hoping for.

And if you look at the map on this site, it's not so blue south of Scotland as you say. Scotland has almost as many Labour MPs as Con, and in England/Wales it's also almost 50-50.

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/jun/08/live-uk-election-results-in-full-2017

PuckeredAhole Fri 09-Jun-17 10:25:58

Corbyn clawed back seats based on lies. He could promise the earth and knew he never had to deliver. He is disgusting and has helped to create uncertainty in this country.This imo is worse than Brexit.

Dobbyandme Fri 09-Jun-17 10:26:21

Thank you for the helpful answers. I certainly can see that Labour have done well to make the improvement they have since the last election, and that the Tories didn't get the overall majority they were hoping for.

On that basis the Tories have failed to meet their current targets and Labour have exceeded their previous achievement. But that hasn't lost the election for the Tories or won it for Labour.

The majority doesn't seem as marginal as Corbyn seems to see it as being.

Springto & Noodle but she still has more seats than he does. So to me, regardless of previous elections, if Theresa May should resign then so should Corbyn. Otherwise on that theory surely Sturgeon should also resign as she has lost seats. Notably more than either Tory or Labour to be fair.

WannaBe, that's basically my issue is that he had some real flair during his campaign but now the election is over he seems to not actually comprehend the facts in front of him.

PoppyFleur Fri 09-Jun-17 10:26:45

Let's agree on one overwhelming positive; the electorate delivered a big two fingered salute to UKIP. Lost their only seat in parliament and saw a 10.8% drop in votes.

Now that is a fantastic result.

mumsneedwine Fri 09-Jun-17 10:27:19

I get he did well but why is he saying he should form the government. He lost

Tiredemma Fri 09-Jun-17 10:27:58

Compared to the predictions that were made up until just a month ago (That he would have his own Michael Foot 'moment' where Tories would have landslide victory) this is a massive achievement.

I am a Labour voter and I have spent the past two years feeling as if people think we are a bit of a joke. To see that he has managed to turn voters around AND gain more votes than 1997 is really quite something.

Even though Labour have not 'won' this election in the sense of an overall majority, the fact that they have gained seats when predicted to do terribly is just brilliant.

I think he has been a fantastic campaigner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now