Talk

Advanced search

Tooth extraction tomorrow (today to be specific)...and i'm terrified.

(31 Posts)

I have 3 broken teeth. Too broken to save. Two are coming out tomorrow and the last on Monday.

I am terrified.

MY lovely GP has prescribed diazepam but I'm still scared.

The first 2 teeth were broken 10 years ago eating Galaxy chocolate. I went to my dentist the same day and was physically held down in the chair. Hence the dental anxiety. I have had constant pain since then and have broken and paid for no less than 10 appointments to extract them. I have never fine through with them.

Tomorrow, I have to go, I can't take the pain anymore. I can't take chewing using my front teeth. I've had enough.

GP told me to take 1 5mg tab in the morning and 2 5mg tabs an hour before the appointment.

Please tell me I will be ok?

Ollivander84 Thu 08-Jun-17 01:42:08

I was petrified before an extraction. No joke I contemplated if I crashed my car on the way there I wouldn't have to do it blush
Terrified of dentists - until after the extraction!

Ask for numbing gel before the injections (it's usually bubblegum so don't stick your tongue in it to taste and then panic your tongue is numb) - I do this every time and go "MY TONGUE IS NUMB" and my dentist eye rolls at me
iPod or phone and have some music - I don't like the noise
It's lots of noise and pressure, they actually push back rather than any pulling. No pain for me at all and it was a tooth with a huge root
Rest afterwards, take painkillers but it's done and that's it over with

I went from needing to be dragged into the dentist to voluntarily paying to have whitening treatment which took an hour. My thoughts were that if extraction was the worst thing, it was actually fine

Ollivander84 Thu 08-Jun-17 01:42:45

Oh and tell them you're scared! They will let you put your hand up at any time to stop, you're in complete control

LorLorr2 Thu 08-Jun-17 01:45:24

You will be fine my love!!
I had the same number out when I was younger. I was absolutely terrified beforehand, but I hardly remember it now and of course the dentist let me know what I might feel and when. The only pain you'll have is the injections and from there it's more disgust than anything! grin
I assume your dentist is aware you're a nervous patient? If not then do make it clear when you go in that this is a big deal for you and you need to be treated with extra care.
If it helps to know, you can raise your hand to pause whenever you need a breather.

Keep the end goal in mind constantly- no more pain!!
What time is your appointment?

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 08-Jun-17 01:47:26

I always loved the dentist .
I had 3 operations ( 2 local 1 general) and 2 years of braces.
My teeth were perfect and then I have chipped 3 of my teeth in 24 months ... my old dentist filed them down, the new one said that was wrong.
Ever since my teeth keep chipping. I'd get extra info tbh, I'm 2k down getting them fixed x go private x

leonardthelemming Thu 08-Jun-17 02:38:44

I have had several extractions (never looked after my teeth as a child). The last time though, once I'd had the injection I didn't feel another thing. I could tell that the dentist was poking about in my mouth but it was more like they do for a check-up. No force applied that I could tell. When she told me it was over I literally didn't believe her but it was true. Far less discomfort than something like root canal work.

MaryTheCanary Thu 08-Jun-17 02:48:09

I am pretty dental phobic, and having had an upper-row wisdom tooth out, even I would not be at all nervous of having another tooth out.

Bottom-row wisdom teeth can be a bugger to get out, but most other teeth are easy peasy.

It took seconds, I felt nothing at all, and was like, huh? Is that it?

You will be fine. Honest!

Beyondworried Thu 08-Jun-17 06:13:51

I am TERRIFIED of the dentist. I had a molar extraction that had broken after disastrous root canal and filling by previous dentist. Was in tears as I walked into the room. Over in a flash. Only felt a bit of pressure and that was it.

funmummy48 Thu 08-Jun-17 06:21:12

I'm also terrified of the dentist and as others have said, found listening to an iPod really helpful. I had no pain when my wisdom tooth was removed & it was all done unbelievably quickly. Good luck!

AliCat36 Thu 08-Jun-17 06:27:36

Definitely music to relax you, close your eyes, deep breaths, focus on your breathing to keep it slow & steady. It'll be done really quickly & you'll feel so much better.

SorrelSoup Thu 08-Jun-17 06:28:01

You'll be fine. Concentrate on how you'll feel after the procedure, not the procedure. Take some music and raise your hand immediately if you are in any discomfort. I've had 2 wisdom teeth out recently and one took about ten seconds and the other about 20 seconds. The tablets will make you completely relaxed anyway and will do all the hard work for you. Good luck.

hellokittymania Thu 08-Jun-17 06:33:26

It will be all right. Do you have an iPod with music or anything you can listen to? An audiobook maybe? I always bring something to listen to.

humblesims Thu 08-Jun-17 06:35:52

Good Luck today. Follow through and dont chicken out. You will be Okay I promise. It will be over quickly and wont hurt and then you can get on with the rest of your life. You know it has to be done. Let today be the day and then you dont have to worry about it any more. We're all holding your hand.

Whatsername17 Thu 08-Jun-17 07:07:37

10 years of bulimia led to.me having a tooth extracted. Id had an access answer the pain was worse than labour. The extraction was heavenly. A couple of minutes of mild discomfort filled by overwhelming relief. Good luck!

willman61 Thu 08-Jun-17 07:21:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Marmalady75 Thu 08-Jun-17 07:55:36

If you are that scared can't you get it done under sedation/ga?

emmyrose2000 Thu 08-Jun-17 08:03:40

I don't/didn't like the dentist either, but on two separate occasions I had to suck it up and go as the pain was agonising.

Each time, the dentist gave me an injection (just felt a bit of a sting) and then I lay back waiting for the dentist to start the extractions. Both times I was shocked/surprised to discover they'd already done it and I hadn't even realised. smile Best of all, the pain from the infected tooth/teeth was gone!

Good luck OP! smile

Kokusai Thu 08-Jun-17 08:04:45

You won't be scared after the diazipam, it will help you relax. Feel your pain - I hate dental work!

madasa Thu 08-Jun-17 08:06:41

I hope it went ok....all over now.
I was in the same boat yesterday, extraction and two fillings. With the help of Diazepam and sedation I got through it. Maybe you can find a dentist that offers sedation?

Nikephorus Thu 08-Jun-17 08:07:17

You will be okay. I'd heard terrible things about root canal treatment but when I had one it was fine (the worst bit was having to keep my mouth open so long). So you'll be fine with your extractions. And just think how good you'll feel afterwards.

madasa Thu 08-Jun-17 08:25:28

Sorry, I got the day wrong (after effects of sedation!) you will be fine and the relief when it is over is enormous

judgymoo Thu 08-Jun-17 08:35:13

You will be absolutely fine my lovely. I had a wisdom tooth extracted on Saturday, I had managed to get myself all worked up about it too and now I don't know what all the fuss was about.

Fluffyears Thu 08-Jun-17 09:02:59

It's a really easy thing, even getting my lower wisdoms done surgically wasn't that bad (apart from trying to eat afterwards). Just think a bit of discomfort for no pain anymore.

I feel better after reading your replies. My appointments not until this afternoon. I think I should have made a morning appointment and got it over with. Now I feel like I have all day to think about it. I took my first diazepam this morning and feel no less anxious. Hopefully the top up before the appointment will do the job.

I would go for sedation but I have no friends or family to accompany me as do will have to stay with the boys.

Music is a brilliant idea. I'll definitely be taking my iPod. Thanks for that one.

SorrelSoup Thu 08-Jun-17 12:32:00

Honestly the tablets will work and you'll be completely chilled. They're very powerful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now