Talk

Advanced search

To wonder labour supporters what you are all going to do on Friday

(411 Posts)
thisismeusernameything Wed 07-Jun-17 09:45:00

If you wake up and are still under conservative rule?

Not goady, just genuinely interested in how you intend to make life better for yourself and those around you

gillybeanz Wed 07-Jun-17 09:55:49

I just usually carry on as usual there's not a lot you can do, and nothing changes over night.

Since Thatcher (I'm old) grin I do start to look at ways to change our circumstances to fit in with what they propose.

Like e.g Labour propose 20% fee rise for private schools, this might affect me it might not. So I start looking into ways that would enable me to H.ed again, like giving up work.
Obviously, this is just an example.

Most of the time it is possible to live within the policies of a government and not lose anything, you just have fewer choices if you don't want to lose financially or personally.

I know you asked for conservative, but this is the one that might affect us under a Labour government. They are still my choice though.

TheMonkeyAndThePlywoodViolin Wed 07-Jun-17 09:59:16

think everyone is an idiot

makeourfuture Wed 07-Jun-17 09:59:37

Considering the news that May is now rounding on the citizenry, and doing nothing to boost protection, it will be a more dangerous country to live in.

AccioMerlot Wed 07-Jun-17 09:59:46

Friday is a bad example.
Friday is a day to bang your head off the desk repeatedly going "Fuck, fuck, FUUUUUCK! Another five years of this shit!"

You need to take a couple of days to get readjusted, then move on.

LuchiMangsho Wed 07-Jun-17 10:00:21

Whatever they were doing before this sudden election was called, surely?!

TriJo Wed 07-Jun-17 10:04:09

Eat my weight in chocolate. Carry on as normal afterwards though.

ifyoulikepinacolada Wed 07-Jun-17 10:08:04

Sadly I don't think it's an if but a when. I'll make a large donation to my local foodbank, thank my personal lucky stars, and check my health insurance is up to date.

BlossomCat Wed 07-Jun-17 10:08:22

I'm with Accio in banging my head off the wall.
Saturday is for buying the paper and looking at all the results and looking at the breakdown of voting patterns, and thinking; 'Why?!?'
Sunday is for picking yourself up and making the best of it, and maybe start looking at ways of making your voice heard when the swingeing cuts occur.

Ifailed Wed 07-Jun-17 10:11:18

I have already planned on doing a long walk in the country where no one will hear my screams.

Lj8893 Wed 07-Jun-17 10:12:42

Maybe have a little cry, have a dramatic rant "right that's it we are emigrating", re-consider my career as a midwife working in the NHS and then probably just get over it and get on with life, in the hope that in the next 5 years TM will have made such a shit job that tides will turn for the next election. (In fact I don't have to hope, she's gonna ruin our country).

BaguettesAtMidnight Wed 07-Jun-17 10:12:44

Intensify my plans to emigrate.

Donostia Wed 07-Jun-17 10:12:50

Try and distance myself a little and focus on the EU country I live in. I'll feel sad for my family and friends there and probably wallow a bit on here!

Goldenhandshake Wed 07-Jun-17 10:16:48

Shake my head in wonderment as to how so many people have voted for someone who:

'Lost' the files linking MP's to a paedophile ring.
Wants fox hunting re-introduced.
Supports the unfair 'bedroom tax'.
Reckons she will clamp down on corp tax avoidance, yet proposes to slash corp tax and her husbands livelihood rests on tax avoidance, and thinks people are dumb enough to believe her.
Proposes ripping up the human rights bill on the pretext of making us 'safer' hmm
Precided over savage cuts to disability benefits.
Savage cuts to education.
Savage cuts to police.
Savage cuts to fire services leading to a 17% increase in fire related deaths.
Allowed Jeremy Hunt to continue in post after the shambles of the Junior Dr's contract debacle.
Leader of a party who has seen a vast increase in the national debt, but still claims austerity works and that it's all the Labour party's fault anyway hmm
Says there are 'girl jobs and boy jobs' on national TV with no shame.
Reduced ability to access legal aid.
Reduced ability for employees to take employers to tribunal unless they have the cash to do so up front.

zoemaguire Wed 07-Jun-17 10:18:59

Bang my head on the desk, repeatedly. I know all tories aren't stupid (some are rich and self-interested in a deluded sort of way), but some of the reasons for voting tory that I've read on Facebook are so spectacularly idiotic that it makes you despair for the future of the country. Brainless turkeys voting for Xmas indeed.

gallicgirl Wed 07-Jun-17 10:20:52

Finish my application to be a school governor and put plans in place to get a second job once DS qualifies for some free hours at nursery.

Will also try to support my local food bank more.

As desirable as emigration my seem at times, I think the logistics are almost insurmountable.

IHateUncleJamie Wed 07-Jun-17 10:21:49

Be very disapponted in those people who voted Tory. Especially if they have been sucked in by the Murdoch media's smear campaign. Sigh, be down for a few days, then resignedly carry on.

Anatidae Wed 07-Jun-17 10:23:57

Be glad I emigrated.

...and vaguely sad for an England that seems to be determined to run itself into the floor to enrich a small tranche of the population, when there's a pretty good more social democratic model just across the border in Scotland.

EveningShadows Wed 07-Jun-17 10:24:18

Cry. A lot. Rage against the stupid selfish fuckers that voted Tory.

I've just lost my job as a teacher thanks to the school funding cuts so I will try and find another job.

Hope that the NHS isn't sold off too quickly and there's something left to rescue in 2022.

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 07-Jun-17 10:24:40

I would guess most of them will just think "ahh well the public has spoken" just the same way that everybody does.
Then they will go to work like normal

CaptainBrickbeard Wed 07-Jun-17 10:24:51

This is the second thread I've read since the election was called asking what Labour supporters/Remainers will do when the Tories win. I don't get it. What do you expect us to do? It's horrible. It's frightening. But there isn't anything we can do except carry on and keep working for positive change in our society any way we can. I don't understand why this question is being asked. If a miracle happens and Labour wins, what will Tory voters do? Same thing - regroup, analyse, keep going. What else can you do?

Fernanie Wed 07-Jun-17 10:25:19

Despair that my faith in the UK to stand against the apparent global tide of right-wing extremism was misplaced. Then carry on with my life and keep trying to support the services that are left to pick up the government's slack, like foodbanks.

HappyFlappy Wed 07-Jun-17 10:25:30

Shake my head sadly and stock up on clean water, tinned foods and ballpoint pens to complete my applications to join a (wo)manned mission to one of the outer (and yet strangely still more hospitable) planets.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 07-Jun-17 10:27:21

I don't support any party - both labour and the tories are too extreme at the far end of each side of the spectrum each with some pretty radical and unfair policies. However, I sorely hope the tories don't win. And I say this as someone, who voted Tory in the last election. The Brexit stance Theresa May is taking is frightening and the line on societal responsibility is outrageous. I'll live another day if or probably when they get in. And some of what Jeremy Corbin stands for is perhaps even more frightening. This election really polarises just how divided our nation has now become as the two main parties move further apart recognising there is not longer a pendulum swing, but an all out split. The fabric of society is tearing itself apart.

finnthepink Wed 07-Jun-17 10:27:25

Keep on keeping on.

YY to others who say that Friday is the banging head on wall day.

After that I'll continue with charitable donations, food bank etc etc and maybe look at some other things I can do. I've got young children and work FT so there's not much left over for me or anyone else, but now that the children are slightly older I'm sure there's more I could be doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now