Talk

Advanced search

Mr Tickle

(67 Posts)
Silverthorn Tue 06-Jun-17 20:01:13

Just read this to my 3yo. I vaguely remember it as a fun little story about tickling in a naughty way and with some sort of moral to it. But actually it now reads as sinister and mean. There's no comeuppance for all the chaos he caused.
Also, my sensitive 3yo is gonna have nightmares about inescapable tickle arms tonight. Sigh.
We read Mr Messy the other day. He gets kidnapped by two sinistermen in suits with very poor grammar. Who do unspeakable things to him in the bathroom.
Aibu to think the Mr Men books are pretty rubbish and not the sort of messages I want to read to my ds?
(I guess I could use them as examples to explain the PANTS rules)....

kierenthecommunity Tue 06-Jun-17 20:09:14

There are three basic themes to Mr Men books

- someone being a wrong un and being repremanded by a wizard/giant
- someone going on a long walk on which something happens
- someone trying to find a job

Mr Mean in my son's favourite, he howls when his nose is turned into a carrot grin

Silverthorn Tue 06-Jun-17 20:11:41

Mr Bump was a favorite for a while. Read that quite a few times. I feel sorry for him getting the blame for every accident that happens around him.
I might be over thinking these. grin

BellaGoth Tue 06-Jun-17 20:15:10

They are very dated. My 4 year old loves them though. His favourite is Mr Chatterbox.

He fails to see the irony in this. DS never... Stops... Talking.

angelikacpickles Tue 06-Jun-17 20:16:29

The stories are rubbish and the grammar and punctuation is appalling. My kids like them though.

PollytheDolly Tue 06-Jun-17 20:17:50

Mr Greedy ❤️

OlennasWimple Tue 06-Jun-17 20:19:35

Yes, Mr Tickle clearly has issues with respecting others' personal space

Silverthorn Tue 06-Jun-17 20:21:47

Oh yes. I get the 'Mummy? Mummy?' all day.
I think I need to quietly dispose of these crimes against literature. My brain is turning to mush.
Now 'Room on the Broom' I can happily read everyday but he doesn't want that one.

Allthewaves Tue 06-Jun-17 20:22:06

My asd 6 yr old has been obsessed with them for TWO yrs now. Two books every night. Mr Men must be very fit as they seem to go for lots of long walks that taken me to different countries

Oysterbabe Tue 06-Jun-17 20:22:59

We watched an old episode of Thomas and friends the other day and it was dark as fuck. Percy didn't want to go out in the rain and ruin his paint so the fat controller had builders brick up the tunnel and leave him in there.

Allthewaves Tue 06-Jun-17 20:23:36

What about Mr Nosey nearly getting his nose chopped off after being hit by a hammer etc

KC225 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:27:00

It's got to be Mr Jelly. Always

CheeseQueen Tue 06-Jun-17 20:44:40

Also, my sensitive 3yo is gonna have nightmares about inescapable tickle arms tonight. Sigh.

Oh, good grief. Seriously, give your 3 year old some credit.

EarlessToothlessVagabond Tue 06-Jun-17 20:48:10

Kieren you completely summed up the Mr Men books with your synopsis! They are appalling shit but children appear to like them?!

Cheepandorm Tue 06-Jun-17 20:52:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Silverthorn Tue 06-Jun-17 21:01:08

Yes Thomas is really dark. Why is it so popular? He got really upset when there was some sort of landslide in one and the trains got stuck.
I had to talk him through it and tell him the ending before he would calm down and watch the end.
Thanks CheeseQueen. hmm

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 06-Jun-17 21:22:03

Mr Tickle is my nephew's favourite. I have to read it to him as his bedtime story. Every time he stays over.
I know it word for bloody word.grin

My dd loved Mr Dizzy. grin.

bumpertobumper Tue 06-Jun-17 21:25:27

The Mr Men books are shit, and the new ones written by Roger Hargreaves son are worse. But the thing I object to most is that the female characters are "little" angry

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 06-Jun-17 21:31:57

The mr Men books are amazingly, unbelievably, unutterably, stupendously, fantastically.....

Shite.

WrongShui Tue 06-Jun-17 21:36:36

My DS likes mr impossible. They are definitely far from the worst kids books I've ever read. I like books that rhyme like the gruffalo but they have to rhyme properly. The ones that mostly rhyme but then have some bits that don't scan quite right piss me off.

Steph999999 Tue 06-Jun-17 21:40:12

So when I gave birth my husbands colleagues bought us their favourite childhood books for our baby.

One of these books I had never heard of was called Ant and Bee. It's a book filled with 3 letter words which is supposed to help children learn to read. The words it tries to teach children to read are ant, bee, man, van and even explains that xxx means kisses.

And basically the story goes that ant and bee get caught in the rain and a man offers for them to get in his van until the rain stops. When the rain stops ant and bee get out of the van and blow the man xxx to thank him.

I'm kind of outraged that a children's book with that message has been published and as much as I hate to throw away a present it went straight in the bin.

Interestingly the reviews for the book on Amazon are raving.

mirime Tue 06-Jun-17 21:40:15

Thomas is terrible, apart from the terrible way trains are treated - one was locked in his shed and forgotten about for years, which was better than his friend who had derailed too many times, was turned into a generator and as far we know was left to rust when the line was closed - but the whole message is often that you should know your place and not aspire to anything better. Lots of bullying as well and I think the Fat Controller can be emotionally abusive.

It's possible I may have watched too much Thomas.

PotteringAlong Tue 06-Jun-17 21:43:33

"Mr nonsense was asleep. In boat"

Made me howl as a child, every time grin

QueenArseClangers Tue 06-Jun-17 21:43:33

Whenever I see a custard cream biscuit I'm visually reminded of Mr Men shoes.

SallyAlbrightsCollegeRoomate Tue 06-Jun-17 21:44:18

I found that the Mr Men books make no less sense if you only read every third sentence. Still utter shite, but over a lot quicker.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now