Talk

Advanced search

I WIN MUMSNET WEDDINGS

(269 Posts)
FuckyDuck Tue 06-Jun-17 08:47:16

So we all love a good wedding thread 'it's not a summons, it's an invitation'..
We have been 'invited' to a wedding WEEK in the USA, prices starting from £3k, with 5 organised events, each with their own dress code, and given a link to the Amazon wish list/registry where the cheapest item is >£300! Children are welcome on the holiday but not at the ceremony, and we're to chip in to the brides accommodation the night before the big day to show her our love?!

Total costing is £5,500 for a WEEK.

So, come on, what do I win??

CoolCarrie Tue 06-Jun-17 10:54:44

Texas! That explains it!

KERALA1 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:58:17

Hmm thats good for sure, though a friend (in the super rich international crowd) was invited to a wedding with a gift list to furnish the couples second home. Cheapest thing on it £300.

CoolCarrie Tue 06-Jun-17 11:08:44

What did your friend buy for them?

WorshipTheGourd Tue 06-Jun-17 11:09:42

I would be SO blush to send an invite like that!

How can anyone think they are so important?

beggars belief (though I do believe you, OP).

RuggerHug Tue 06-Jun-17 11:10:59

Since they didn't even go to yours is there any chance you still have their decline card somewhere? I would send that with the names crossed out or arrows switching them so you're declining with whatever reason they gave. Or ask if there's a Skype viewing for those who won't be there. I feel it would be worth a look from your couch with popcorn and booze to laugh

scampimom Tue 06-Jun-17 11:17:57

You do. You win MN weddings, paws down.

Lweji Tue 06-Jun-17 11:20:35

Brides dad is from Texas (not the state they're getting married in)

I bet it IS Maui.

The to go destination of every celebrity and ex-President these days.

Lweji Tue 06-Jun-17 11:22:46

I know.

Tell them your wedding attendance charges, i.e. for the pleasure of having your company, are £3000 per person. Will they please let you know if they accept it.

PS - are they related to the Trump family? They sound just as grabby and profit oriented.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 06-Jun-17 11:22:52

I'm intrigued at the five different events with different dress codes. I realise this shows a lack of imagination on my part.

Do you know anyone else who might be invited? It would be fun to have a chat.

scampimom Tue 06-Jun-17 11:23:51

Ooh ooh, send your "decline" with a grip enclosed. Tell them you went off-list to get them something you thought they really needed.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn Tue 06-Jun-17 11:25:17

I'm saying no win without proof either. Names can be blanked out. I cannot believe there are people that deluded thst they think others will spend 5.5k and a week just for a bloody wedding. Very happy to be proved wrong.

Lweji Tue 06-Jun-17 11:27:11

Why is everyone now demanding photos as 'proof'? Either you believe it or you don't

Good point.
OP, you could draw yourself the invitation and photograph it. wink

On that note, how about sending them hand drawn tickets for Chester Zoo?

shinyredbus Tue 06-Jun-17 11:31:15

So I take it you don't want to go then? grin hehehehe. You win for most ludicrous wedding invite ever! Congratulations! flowers

MadisonAvenue Tue 06-Jun-17 11:41:47

Can't believe how entitled some people are.

Having said that, my husband would be exactly the same as yours! He once had us driving for 3 hours to the wedding of a friend/colleague who he hadn't been in touch with for years and we knew no one else who was going but he felt bad about declining.
It was a really lovely day though and I'm glad we went, and at least we didn't have to spend that much to attend.

NoSquirrels Tue 06-Jun-17 11:44:38

Awesome.

How about:

Dear Not-Yet-Marrieds

Thank you so much for your kind invitation to celebrate your wedding. I'm so sorry we will have to decline, I am afraid we are simply all out of gold bullion, and find ourselves in the embarrassing position of not having more than £7,000 (inc. childcare and other associated costs such as clothing to conform to the dress codes) to spend on a week away with you. I have been looking into the possibility of selling one of the children (as well as the sale price gained this would save us money on both flights, childcare, outfits) but alas I find that eBay will not accept them.

With every wish for a wonderful celebration amongst your nearest and dearest,

FuckyDucky and Family

EeekWhat Tue 06-Jun-17 11:45:17

I love Glitters. 'Who dis?' reply but I think a witty reply would be wasted. I'd go for a simply honest reply.

Dear XXX. Thank you so much for the invitation but we are going to have to give it a miss. We added up the cost of flights and accomadation etc and it comes to over £5,500 and that's not including all the outfits we would require, the child care for the ceremony , the gift and food and entertainment and we can't justify spending that much on your wedding celebrations. I'm sure you understand.
Hope you have a wonderful day, we look forward to seeing photos.
Love OP

OlennasWimple Tue 06-Jun-17 11:45:40

Um, you do know that weddings in America are completely different, right....?

(Not saying that this isn't over the top, but things like a formal rehearsal dinner the night before with a black tie dress code are fairly normal. As is a gift registry)

<waits for drip feed that the B&G are actually British>

OlennasWimple Tue 06-Jun-17 11:47:10

Eeek - you don't have to justify why you are turning down an invitation.

A simple "thank you for your invitation, but sadly we will be unable to share your wedding celebrations with you" is literally all that is required. If asked, then you can say that the cost was too much

Tazerface Tue 06-Jun-17 11:49:05

Olenna does it count as a drip feed if the OP has already clarified that point?!

Who cares if it's different? You might be happy to spend your entire vacation money (and let's not forget Americans also don't have proper annual leave!) to attend enforced wedding japes? Of people that have been together long enough to have TWO children?!

HmmOkay Tue 06-Jun-17 11:49:14

The bride and groom are both British, Olenna.

The OP has already stated that.

SapphireStrange Tue 06-Jun-17 11:50:08

Can't you send that clip of Phoebe saying "oh I'm sorry I can't because...I don't want to"?

I agree with this. grin

You have won the INTERNET, OP, not just MN and not just weddings.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 06-Jun-17 12:04:59

Am I the only one wishing we could have a whip-round to send @FuckyDuck and family to the wedding, in return for live updates of all the celebrations? There must be more than 5500 MNers, so we could do it for a quid apiece. Frankly I'd happily chip in a fiver - I think the entertainment that would be provided by the week of celebrations would be well worth it.

TheBruteSquad Tue 06-Jun-17 12:05:05

Don't RSVP just yet, wait for the Daily Fail to pick this up and then send them the link. They will be ecstatic thinking their wedding is so amazing it's made the papers!!

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 06-Jun-17 12:13:14

expat

"Pics or it didn't happen" is just adding about, in the same vein as "he who smelt it dealt it" etc etc.

Usually used for stories which can be described only as "belters".

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 06-Jun-17 12:35:21

*arsing

Not "adding"'

RuggerHug Tue 06-Jun-17 12:35:28

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius but if she finds out there's a link for the people who can't make it to watch we can all see it in real time!!

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 06-Jun-17 12:42:42

So you barely know them and havent been in touch for years?

So you are tier D guests then after almost everyone from tiers A to C have turned down their invites, or its a gift grab.

I think its probably a mix of the two. Upshot is that they are going to have a handful of people who are sick of the sights of each other after 5 days of enforced "fun".

Send the goat.

Or a bucket of worms.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 06-Jun-17 12:45:32

Yeah I see "pics or it didnt happen" as a "NO WAY!!!!" kind of thing, shock that someone could be so crass not that we dont believe the OP.

WellThatSucks Tue 06-Jun-17 12:50:46

Olenna I've lived here in the USA for more than a decade and I can assure you this is NOT the norm unless your name is Kardashian. Never heard of a 'black tie' rehearsal dinner. It's usually a relatively modest dinner at a local restaurant, more often pizza and beer in a relative's back garden and is confined to the bridal party and close family who are taking part in the wedding itself - i.e. they don't summons the entire guest list. I've never been asked to pay for the bride's hotel, nor given a dress code for 5 separate wedding events. If there's a shower or bachelorette they usually take place a couple of weeks before the wedding and again are restricted to the bride's close friends and family. Sometimes there's a few guests who meet for brunch the day after the wedding if lots of people are staying at the same hotel but again it's come if you want and casual dress.

SnickersWasAHorse Tue 06-Jun-17 12:53:07

Is anyone going to go at that cost?
What if no one comes so they have to cancel?

It reminds me of the Welsh wedding when the price kept going up as more people pulled out.

Gah81 Tue 06-Jun-17 12:58:10

This is hilarious. Thank you. Getting married next year and determined to keep it as low-key as possible because, as one pp has said: no-one really gives a f**k about your special day apart from your very closest friends and I like to bear that in mind 😂

Goodasgoldilox Tue 06-Jun-17 12:58:52

It does sound more likely to be a joke invitation!
Is the old work friend really getting married - or is this a workplace wind up?

In any case - I agree with those above who suggest treating it as an ingenious trick.

heateallthebuns Tue 06-Jun-17 12:58:54

Well you don't need to be told not to go!!!!

Lweji Tue 06-Jun-17 13:05:25

Is anyone going to go at that cost? What if no one comes so they have to cancel?

That may well be what's happening, and they're reaching out for more distant friends, just in case.

LadySalmakia Tue 06-Jun-17 13:26:32

This is fucking hilarious. I'm always so sad that my friends are mostly sane when I see things like this, I'd love to get one.

Response: treat it like a ridiculous work conference.

"Dear Old Acquaintance

How kind of you to think of us! As I'm sure you're aware our jollies wedding budget is tight this year - is there any funding available? Where should I send the application for the studentship?

Alternatively, I'd love to help out as a volunteer to cover the cost of my place - is this available as an option? I am an experienced bridesmaid and my DH has ushed at countless weddings.

Yours totally sincerely,
Baffled OP."

EeekWhat Tue 06-Jun-17 13:26:41

Eeek - you don't have to justify why you are turning down an invitation.

I agree but in this case I would want them to know why.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 06-Jun-17 13:37:39

"SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius but if she finds out there's a link for the people who can't make it to watch we can all see it in real time!!"

An even better idea, @RuggerHug!!

The80sweregreat Tue 06-Jun-17 13:39:48

I wouldn't go.
Couldnt afford it and it sounds like hard work!

BarbarianMum Tue 06-Jun-17 13:40:31

Oh my friends went to a wedding like this in Las Vegas last year (they are minted). It was every bit as awful as it sounds.

Lweji Tue 06-Jun-17 13:40:49

I see it as a new reality show. Just a one off series.

You could make a lot of money out of it, OP.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 06-Jun-17 13:46:11

However you decline, I'd be inclined to send a link to this paper

Though maybe shifting wedding costs onto the guests helps?

AcrossthePond55 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:50:46

Hmmm, I think I'd see
1-is the wedding in a location I'd like to visit?
2-is the hotel/rental car cheaper than I could get on my own?
3-if so, could I accept then bugger off in the rental car to do something fun instead of attending the nuptial extravaganzas?
4-bonus points for being able to sneak into venues to eat the free food.

grin

The first thing I thought when I read the OP was "Well, this is either a Kardashian wedding or they're from Texas".

AcrossthePond55 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:51:59

No matter how you decline please give them an Oxfam goat (or three) for a wedding present.

Rubies12345 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:07:11

You don't have to give a reason just decline!

Destination weddings have an average 15% acceptance rate. So 85% of replies will be declines.

HotelEuphoria Tue 06-Jun-17 14:08:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 06-Jun-17 14:13:41

Dear xxx,

Thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately we will not be able to attend due to not having more money than sense.

Yours sincerely

MrWriter Tue 06-Jun-17 14:22:36

This is fantastic, these wedding stories are just getting crazier and crazier.

I'd send the invite back with a note attached stating it must have been sent to the wrong address as no friend of yours would expect so much.

FuckyDuck Tue 06-Jun-17 14:23:23

So an update from DH, it transpires the brides uncle owns a hotel, which is where the wedding is being held, so the wedding day for them is free, BUT the guests have to pay the full market rates! He called the groom to check whether any of the rest of their old team had been invited (he was debating splitting a villa) grin

I have been belly laughing reading all your creative declines - I'll be sending them an oxfam goat for sure. Honestly can't upload the invite or attached pages without outing myself, as the background of the paper is a photo of the bride, groom and their 2 charming but illegitimate children. (quote - Hugh Grant)

blackteasplease Tue 06-Jun-17 14:27:51

I do feel for you, as I recently spent about £1000 to go to a friend's wedding and multiple hen dos. Lovely friend, lovely events, but perhaps I should have said no to some of it....

But yes, you win!

onalongsabbatical Tue 06-Jun-17 14:28:22

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT!???!! The bride's uncle owns the hotel, and guests have to pay full rates???
It's a fucking moneymaking scam, then?
Good as. The cheeky, cheeky bastards.
Oxfam goats are too good for them.

Willow2017 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:28:46

It just gets better and better!

They are scrabbling around to find some poor saps from his old 'team' who probably havent seen him in years to pay for the hotel etc as everyone else they know has declined to go to the farce.

glitterglitters Tue 06-Jun-17 14:29:03

@FuckyDuck oh gotta love a bit of Grade A Capatalism 😂

Sittinginthesun Tue 06-Jun-17 14:36:27

Two of my friends have been to similar weddings in the States recently, so it is clearly A Thing.

One of them received an invitation that was a message on a brand new iPhone especially personalized for them. Beat that wink

lemonzest123 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:41:12

Just tell them you're banned from the USA following a youthful indiscretion.

I vote for this. To the point with a touch of mystery....

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 06-Jun-17 14:56:07

One of them received an invitation that was a message on a brand new iPhone especially personalized for them

That is impressive! I wouldnt mind going to a wedding if I got paid with an iphone for it!

I agree with Eek about justifying why they are not going. They dont have to but I would want them to know why too. Although the message about not having more money than sense is probably my first choice and following up with an itemised costing if they replied!

SenecaFalls Tue 06-Jun-17 15:05:22

So an update from DH, it transpires the brides uncle owns a hotel

Do any of Donald Trump's siblings have children? grin

ohfourfoxache Tue 06-Jun-17 15:15:53

Cheeky fuckers shock

SapphireStrange Tue 06-Jun-17 15:29:21

it transpires the brides uncle owns a hotel, which is where the wedding is being held, so the wedding day for them is free, BUT the guests have to pay the full market rates!

shock That is GOBSMACKING.

HappyFlappy Tue 06-Jun-17 15:34:28

*I'm intrigued at the five different events with different dress codes. I realise this shows a lack of imagination on my part.

Oh, come on!

Surely you've been to the traditional:-

1) Underwater wedding rehearsal with optional barracuda wrestling (Wet suit, flippers, mask and aqualung)

2) "Slumming it" in the most dangerous and drug-infested part of town (with the opportunity to get "shanked" or shot while trying to make drugs deal). (Hoodie, soiled sneakers, stick-on needle tracks, pee'd-on baggy low-crotch jeans hanging around the hips, and torn tee-shirt with vomit down the front)

3) Steer-roping on a "dude" ranch (blue jeans, cowboy boots, brightly colour checked shirt with contrasting fringes, and over-size stetson- yeeeee-hah!)

4) Benefit dinner for Donald Trump's many charitable interests - diamanté-encrusted ballgown for the li'l lay-dees and tail coats and patent leather dancing shoes for the men

5) Fire-and-Brimstone evangelical church pastor promising you hell and damnation if you don't fund the Bride and Groom's children through college (modest, neck-to-knee-length dresses for the ladies in a variety of depressing crimpeline prints, and sober suits with button-down collar shirts for the men, with a tie (not bootlace)). (You will also be expected to contribute at least$100 dollars to the collection plate for this one.)

Iamastonished Tue 06-Jun-17 15:35:09

You beat me to it Seneca. I was going to ask if it was her uncle Donald.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Tue 06-Jun-17 15:38:47

Holy fuck.

So they have kids together, want to have some fanciful white wedding overseas as if they've not been together for years, and not invite their kids to the ceremony?

And then have the balls to say "We want to have another one and it would be nice if our wedding guests could find this?"

Just, holy fuck.

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jun-17 15:43:09

I can't believe your H even considers going to this shit.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 06-Jun-17 16:04:06

@HappyFlappy
I'm tired, I apologise for my lack of imagination. But have you forgotten the strip club event, with bride and groom pole dancing?

HappyFlappy Tue 06-Jun-17 16:35:48

Oh Bollox, Snorkmaiden. I had forgotten the pole-dancing etc. But as they will be bollock-naked for this, I don't suppose it counts as requiring a different dress code.

grin

Birdsbeesandtrees Tue 06-Jun-17 16:46:04

So revolting. If you want a wedding on this scale you should damn well pay for everything not foist the costs off on your guests. Screams desperate social climbers.

They aren't nearly as good as they think they are.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 06-Jun-17 16:51:05

They aren't nearly as good as they think they are

A fact that will become clear when they have more staff than guests at the wedding!

Birdsbeesandtrees Tue 06-Jun-17 16:53:43

That would be very very funny. I actually think we should all chip in for OP to go. I've got a quid somewhere.

Birdsbeesandtrees Tue 06-Jun-17 16:53:56

I want to hear more about these awful people.

GotToGetMyFingerOut Tue 06-Jun-17 16:59:22

How come if her uncle owns the hotel yous have all to pay for her accommodation there the night before 😅😂 how much is the accomodation the night before that all guests need to donate cash for it.

FruBayerischOla Tue 06-Jun-17 17:33:53

"Unfortunately we will not be able to attend due to not having more money than sense."

Perhaps more succinctly worded as "... not able to attend due to having more sense than money"?!!!!

BabyLedWhining Tue 06-Jun-17 17:38:17

They don't actually expect or want your attendance op. It's just bad form to ask for a £300 gift without an invite.

YouTheCat Tue 06-Jun-17 17:42:23

Reply with a voice mail of maniacal laughter and then 'NO'.

Badweekjustgotworse Tue 06-Jun-17 17:59:02

Dear (inserttwatsnames)

I'm sorry were unable to attend your wedding as we are worming the cat that week.

TidyDancer Tue 06-Jun-17 18:08:20

Did someone say Mumsnet wedding?!

Well fuck me. I thought my gluezilla was bad. Am happy to endorse your win as Mumsnet international wedding champion!

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 06-Jun-17 18:08:48

@HappyFlappy you win grin

Waltermittythesequel Tue 06-Jun-17 18:11:17

Your dh isn't actually going is he??

FruBayerischOla Tue 06-Jun-17 18:17:57

Tidy. I think the OP's 'Zillas have had the last 3 (or is it 4) years now to hone their own Zilla skills since your Gluezillia grin

ConfidentlyUnhinged Tue 06-Jun-17 18:27:10

Voila - a draft rejection!

Oh wow your getting married,
How stunning how sublime,
And oh what a wedding,
I wish that it was mine!

It really is a bargain,
At five and a half k,
So for my response,
I could not delay.

You see there is a problem,
Don't worry - it's quite tiny,
Don't want to make a fuss,
Or to appear quite whiny.

But in my misspent youth,
The USA said no!
You've been a little hallion,
Off home you must go.

And so I cannot come.
Wait, wait that is a lie.
But still I cannot come!
I cannot even try.

You see here comes the truth,
Your invite is quite grabby.
£300 quid minimum gift?
Oh boy that got me stabby.

And where to find the dosh,
To watch this nuptial bliss,
And where to put my children?
You don't half take the piss.

So please accept this poem,
As my answer negative,
Say hi to uncle Donald!
(Who I'd quite like to shiv).

hownowbrowngoat Tue 06-Jun-17 18:40:50

Ah Tidy - I often think of gluezilla. I wonder how she's doing? I think it's nearly 4 years ago as I was reading about it whilst I was in Greece on my own honeymoon grin

SprinklesandIcecream Tue 06-Jun-17 18:47:43

Unhinged

gringringrin

Reow Tue 06-Jun-17 18:49:40

TidyDancer!

<holds out pen for autograph>

MrsHandles Tue 06-Jun-17 18:52:23

Tidy! You were my hero when I was a mere lurker and reading your infamous gluezilla thread. Still think of it now and what the bride might be up to. Perhaps time for an update?

lazycrazyhazy Tue 06-Jun-17 18:54:57

Totally ridiculous. Reminds me of my daughter (who was a penniless actor at the time) ho forked out to go to a wedding in South Africa. The parents are wealthy. The invitation said "you are invited" so she went to the breakfast the day before and the BBQ the day after and was presented with a bill! She wouldn't have gone to either had she known the only "free" day was the wedding day - this after guests have forked out to get to SA.
I have no problem with pay bars or pay as you go but make it clear on the invitation!

PunkAssMoFo Tue 06-Jun-17 18:57:51

I know it's not Christmas, but this is so wonderful that I think it requires a Janet and Roy RSVP. I'd imagine that they'd be made up that at least some randomers may want to attend.

milliemolliemou Tue 06-Jun-17 19:07:29

Dear Bride & Groom

Unfortunately our visa applications have been rejected by the Embassy so won't be able to join you. I didn't realize my husband had xxxx nor that my previous experience as yyyyy would disallow us from joining you. Our mutual misdemeanours might have been excused but my DCs have recently been done for crack cocaine at their nursery.

Have a great time

YouTheCat Tue 06-Jun-17 19:08:07

Tidy, are the bride and groom still married? grin

TidyDancer Tue 06-Jun-17 19:15:09

Haha! Sorry to hijack OP but couldn't help commenting on a good old wedding thread!

Yes gluezilla and mr glue are still married! They have a baby glue now. He has an interesting name but gluezilla seems to only call him the milk pig (vom).

I still see gluezilla's parents every now and then as we live close by to them but they don't look me in the eye! grin

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 06-Jun-17 19:17:43

Ok so basically a link is needed to "Gluezilla" NOW

YouTheCat Tue 06-Jun-17 19:18:23

Lmao at 'milk pig'. grin

They sound delightful as ever.

Lunar1 Tue 06-Jun-17 19:22:23

Dear deluded couple

I didn't spent 5.5k on my wedding so I'm not spending it on yours!

sodablackcurrant Tue 06-Jun-17 19:23:22

WellThatSucks

That is my (limited) experience of US weddings aswell.

I am not from the US, but a couple of years ago we were invited to a wedding in the Hamptons, very posh, out Long Island way. We had been considering a trip to NY anyway, so off we went.

It was absolutely fantastic! The hotel was in Southampton, not too expensive, and it was up to us to choose a place to stay having been given a list.

The church was around the corner from the hotel, so we strolled up. To my amazement not very many people dressed up too much, but however. We are Irish background and love to dazzle at weddings!

Then back to the reception. Free bar for two hours, hic! Then into the meal. Lovely and wine and beer flowing. Was so different to weddings here. No lingering over dinner, scoff it up and get dancing quick!

Everyone got their picture taken going in to the dinner.

There was a rehearsal meal the night before. Was in a local bar/eatery. Great fun and very informal.

After the reception and dancing everyone moved on to a bar in Southampton until the early hours. Great band, and a tab for a couple of hours was paid for by the B and G.

Next day there was a hog roast thing at a beach bar.

OK I can tell you now that we hopped on the "ginty" bus into NY for a few days rest after all that! Happily we combined a great, generous wedding with a trip to NY.

All in all I kinda loved the laid back way they do things over there.

Glad I had the chance to experience it.

It was NOTHING like what OP described. But that may be a North/South divide, I though I read something about Texas earlier. Anyway.

I wouldn't go to any place if I hadn't planned to go there myself anyway. Talking destination weddings here.

HappyFlappy Tue 06-Jun-17 20:29:06

Do I get a prize? If so, I will selflessly donate it to the Duck

SenecaFalls Tue 06-Jun-17 20:31:09

It was NOTHING like what OP described. But that may be a North/South divide

Uh, no. I just calculated that I have been to approximately 90 weddings in the American South over the years (I'm pretty old), including my own. What OP describes is definitely not the done thing, even in Texas. smile

WrongShui Tue 06-Jun-17 20:36:23

Please tell me one of you has them added on some kind of social media? If you do don't piss them off because those photos are going to be amazing ly fucking crazy

BabyLedWhining Tue 06-Jun-17 21:05:44

Definitely not the done thing!

29Palms Tue 06-Jun-17 22:10:34

Have you lot read this one?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2945293-Invited-to-destination-wedding-so-expensive?pg=1

CouldntMakeThisShitUp Tue 06-Jun-17 22:50:34

Send cardboard cut outs of you and dh in the different dress codes grin grin

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 06-Jun-17 23:01:15

@HappyFlappy
"Do I get a prize? If so, I will selflessly donate it to the Duck"

Sure, take your pick from Etsy

SabineUndine Tue 06-Jun-17 23:14:59

Can we do a whip-round and send you? I want the video.

highcastle Wed 07-Jun-17 04:19:36

This sounds like they want a v. small wedding (potentially more of an elopement style thing) abroad and are inviting people to be polite and probably hoping they decline lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »