Talk

Advanced search

Please help.......at my wits end!!

(14 Posts)
AragornsManlyStubble Tue 06-Jun-17 06:05:17

Posting for traffic.

My DS is 7 and has Down Syndrome. He was treated last year for sleep apnoea and signed off by the respiratory team as being well again.

However he still wakes in the night and is causing mayhem. He is wide awake the second he gets up. He will turn on all the lights, go downstairs, move food/drinks all around the house, break things, cause general mess. He got his sister's hamster out the other week and forgot he had. We didn't know for nearly 24 hours, poor thing was nearly eaten by the cat. He's never touched it before. It's so frustrating. I have no idea what's waking him up. The only thing that helps is sleeping next to him so I wake when he moves, but I've got a 13 day old little boy and it's not practical to have them both in the same room. I'm phoning the hospital to chase a appointment he was meant to be having in relation to this but it's been months and they haven't replied to my previous calls so I'll be going through PALS today. They only suggested doing another sleep study even though they agree he's sleep apnoea is fixed. He used to wake me up but now he doesn't usually and I don't always hear him. I've been wondering if there's anything like a baby breathing monitor mat for older children but I can't seem to find one, does anyone have any experience? I just need something to let me know when he gets up so I can keep him safe and stop him doing damage around the house.

Poshtottykins Tue 06-Jun-17 06:17:24

Small contact alarm on his door ?

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 06-Jun-17 06:20:36

I'm probably being dim, but do they need screwing or anything similar as I can't add anything in my rented house?

Geekmama Tue 06-Jun-17 06:21:08

What about one of these? www.amazon.co.uk/Alarm-Children-Wireless-Kitchen-Nursery/dp/B016QROAII?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Justmuddlingalong Tue 06-Jun-17 06:31:41

Could you not just hang chimes or something on the handle of his bedroom door, that might alert you when he gets up? Sorry you're having such a hard time. flowers

MisterDog Tue 06-Jun-17 06:34:53

What about a pressure mat? It would set off an alarm if he stood on it while getting out of bed. Although, I'm not sure about wiring.

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 06-Jun-17 06:44:40

Thank you Geek, I'll try that.

I would hang chimes, but I'm quite a deep sleeper and short of him coming into my room (or a louder alarm) not much stirs me!

Bumdishcloths Tue 06-Jun-17 06:57:05

Can you get a referral to an occupational therapist for a bed leaving alarm? It's a pressure mat that goes under the mattress, plugs in at the wall and a separate handheld device sounds the alarm when there's no pressure for an amount of time. If you can prove it would be beneficial to his health (i.e. You are concerned he will hurt himself if he's up unattended) you should be able to get one?

abbsisspartacus Tue 06-Jun-17 07:01:00

Take the light bulbs out before you go to bed? That actually would work with mine as they would be "confined" to the bedroom with the light on but ds is scared of the dark

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 06-Jun-17 07:03:08

He was discharged from the OT, but I will try and get a re referral, tbh I didn't think of them! Thank you!

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 06-Jun-17 07:04:14

abbsis mine has no such fear, he sometimes doesn't put them on at all, still goes wandering! sad

vjg13 Tue 06-Jun-17 07:04:16

Have you considered a 'safespace' for his room? Google it, it is a secure tent like structure that fits around the bed.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 06-Jun-17 07:15:34

My dh works with learning disabled adults and several of them have bed alarms, so definitely available.

N0tfinished Tue 06-Jun-17 11:34:46

My DS2 has ASD not DS so not sure if this is applicable; but very many kids on the spectrum get prescribed melatonin for sleep issues. My DS had issues similar to what you describe (early waking rather than trouble falling asleep) and a short course of melatonin helped reset his sleep pattern and he now sleeps well.

I'm in Ireland & here melatonin can only be prescribed by a consultant so I'd hustle to the GP for a referral...

If this is just a recent change after the sleep study it might be worth considering a short course of melatonin or phenergan to get him back to a good pattern. The arrival of your little baby might also be a factor?

Would a stair guard at the top of the stairs help in the short term?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now