Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that no one wants to win the election really...

(25 Posts)
Raspberriesaretheonlyfruit Mon 05-Jun-17 16:26:40

So based on the current feeling May will get constant unrelenting criticism whatever she does. Brexit won't ever be done well for half the country.
And Corbyn has to fufuIl his manifesto based on wild policies made when he thought he didn't stand a chance AND he has to deal with Brexit.
Bet secretly they are hoping for a hung Parliment so they can blame another party/ each other for the failed promises/ slow down in the economy.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 05-Jun-17 16:27:31

It is a bit of a poisoned chalice.

BunsBumpBlur Mon 05-Jun-17 16:29:25

It's a shitty situation for sure.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 05-Jun-17 16:31:27

Agreed. What a mess.

Birdsbeesandtrees Mon 05-Jun-17 16:31:58

I agree I don't think either party really wants it - they will have to deal with Brexit and I just don't see how that will end well.

MaidOfStars Mon 05-Jun-17 16:34:22

Is there any precedent anywhere in the world for a voluntary coalition, where there is a majority for one party but they actively seek some unity with the others to best navigate a very difficult time? Just a question from interest.

TearsOnTheGround Mon 05-Jun-17 16:34:26

I wonder if May called the election because secretly she doesn't want to win and has sabotaged her own campaign (tv debates with ther leaders etc) so she doesn't win? She was a remainer after all.

Birdsbeesandtrees Mon 05-Jun-17 16:35:38

I've heard muttering online (hmm) that May doesn't really want to win and she's deliberately sabotaged her campaign.

Not saying I believe it mind.

CrispyBathTowel Mon 05-Jun-17 16:37:54

I have wondered that myself about May the last few days

londonrach Mon 05-Jun-17 16:38:50

Agree!!!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 05-Jun-17 16:39:46

And a hung parliament would be the worst scenario imo. Terrible uncertainty in every way.

The80sweregreat Mon 05-Jun-17 16:40:11

Tears, i said this to a colleague when the election was called. She laughed at me ( in a nice way! ) but i stuck with my thoughts. Brexit is going to be a migraine to deal with. Who really wants to do it? I know i wouldnt. Whoever gets in will have major problems.

Orlantina Mon 05-Jun-17 16:42:49

Is there any precedent anywhere in the world for a voluntary coalition

WW2?

glitterglitters Mon 05-Jun-17 16:43:02

I'm starting to think that neither Labour or the Tories want it. They don't want to "deal with" Brexit or have that to their name and legacy. This plus entirely divisive and borderline random manifestos and U-turns. Ivory, fox hunting, interviews where people continuously fluff figures up etc etc.

TearsOnTheGround Mon 05-Jun-17 16:44:54

It's not something I would want to face. I imagine being PM is a tough job anyway with so much to deal with without Brexit on top of it, Whoever becomes PM is going to get stick and blamed for everything that may or may not go wrong with Brexit.

MovingtoParadise Mon 05-Jun-17 16:45:27

'YOU hold the shitty stick'

'NO, you hold the shitty stick'

'WON'T'

- there's a comedy sketch in there somewhere

Orlantina Mon 05-Jun-17 16:46:43

Theresa May was the one who decided to call the election at the time her polling rate was quite high,

So she's only got herself to blame...

sweetbitter Mon 05-Jun-17 16:47:59

I think if there are party figures whose focus is on the long game, they can't possibly want their party to win this election. It's going to be nigh on impossible to make a short term success out of Brexit, best we can hope for is long term. So by the time of the next election whoever negotiated it will surely lose power as the other party can just say "it's their fault Brexit went so badly, they were in charge".

glitterglitters Mon 05-Jun-17 16:48:28

Agree. The world and country has changed a fair old whack since calling it sadly. It's all a bit of a shittorm

glitterglitters Mon 05-Jun-17 16:48:54

*shitstorm

TearsOnTheGround Mon 05-Jun-17 16:50:35

I do hate how much focus is on the party leaders though. I mean do people not realise you are voting for your LOCAL MP, not TM or JC? People need to look up their local MP and see what they have done/hope to do for their local area.

I mean why would you vote for your local MP, just because he/she is part of particular party or just because TM/JC is the party leader if they are actually a big wet blanket and rubbish for your area? The party leader could change at a moments notice whereas you might be stuck with your rubbish MP for a lot longer.

Abitofaproblem Mon 05-Jun-17 16:50:53

It would be really sad if no one wants to be the PM of this country. I am sure plenty of politicians don't but I really do think both TM and JC wants to win, and I respect them for wanting to take up this tough job.

The80sweregreat Mon 05-Jun-17 16:52:01

If its a hung parliament, there may well be another election next year !
I dont think any of us want that. The cost of this one is a huge amount as it is. Brexit will be on the back burner forever at this rate!

watchingitallagain Mon 05-Jun-17 17:42:09

I don't think May wants to win. She knows that no one is going to be 100% happy with Brexit.

MaidOfStars Mon 05-Jun-17 19:39:28

WW2?
My history is sufficiently terrible that I don't know if this is the case. I was imagining that perhaps it would take a war to create a voluntary coalition, with one party surrendering the right of their majority in order to get all hands on deck.

Having said that, in a war situation, I guess the ruling party might simply invite the other leaders to the appropriate committees etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now