Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Broken eggs from online supermarket

(18 Posts)
Dearlittleflo Mon 05-Jun-17 13:46:14

A (minor) moral dilemma- if you buy a box of eggs from Ocado (or wherever) and realise after the delivery man has left that a few are broken, do you claim a refund?

There doesn't seem to be any way of asking for a partial refund, but I always feel a bit guilty asking for my money back for a box of 12 eggs when most of them are perfectly ok.

tkband3 Mon 05-Jun-17 13:50:19

I get online deliveries from Sainsbury's - the delivery person always checks the eggs and if even one is slightly cracked, the cost is refunded, but I get to keep them anyway.

MiniMum97 Mon 05-Jun-17 13:50:36

Just call them and ask for a refund. The extra eggs are compensation for the inconvenience.

PickAChew Mon 05-Jun-17 13:56:03

I often get 5 free eggs from sainsbury's. I got 11 free cans of coke, once!

ThouShallNotPass Mon 05-Jun-17 14:00:24

Let them know about it. They'll be fine with giving you a refund. They need to know anyway because they can then look at their delivery and storage methods. If eggs are being broken on the journey then they need to make changes. Feedback is important to companies that actually give a shit.

LadySalmakia Mon 05-Jun-17 14:01:48

Yep. Of course! The poor delivery driver is hardly going to stand there whilst all 50 of that day's clients check their eggs, so if there's a problem they'll just refund you instead of messing about replacing one egg, it's cheaper for them that way.

Ocado are generally great about refunds, too, I've never had an issue even when it was something minor like one egg bashed up.

Nice that a PP's delivery person does check though, I always do in the supermarket.

aginghippy Mon 05-Jun-17 14:05:13

I always claim a refund. I ordered 12 eggs and didn't receive what I ordered.

The supermarkets account for a certain proportion of damage when they calculate their prices, as it's impossible to eliminate them entirely. They are still making money from my £80-£100 order even after they refund me £2 for the eggs.

JaneEyre70 Mon 05-Jun-17 14:13:02

I always get at least one broken egg.....which is why I've now stopped ordering them. I always claim a refund though as otherwise they don't make any effort to pack them better. Last time I did order them, I had a bag of baking potatoes shoved on top of them and they were upside down. There were 5 broken.

justkeepswimmingg Mon 05-Jun-17 14:16:44

Yes, I always do. I received an order once where the bag of rice had a small hole in (didn't notice at the time). When I picked it up the pressure ripped the bag more, and the whole bag of rice went over my kitchen floor. I was gutted due to needing to clean it up, and emailed for a refund. Also if we receive broken eggs il email for a refund. We spend up to £90 a week in tesco, for 2 adults and a toddler (I'd give lidl or aldi ago if I could manage to do shopping instore). We don't get many luxuries, so I think it's a waste of money to not ask for a refund for items that aren't delivered as described.

FrenchJunebug Mon 05-Jun-17 14:34:29

yes I would ask for a refund.

MrsD79 Mon 05-Jun-17 14:35:53

Get your refund love. Not your fault.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Mon 05-Jun-17 14:38:37

We check them and the delivery driver puts through the refund there and then

StupidSlimyGit Mon 05-Jun-17 14:39:04

I work in a supermarket that does delivery, if your eggs are broken when received then absolutely claim the refund without guilt. It's one of the reasons the policy is there!

Dearlittleflo Mon 05-Jun-17 20:56:09

Thanks, all!

WildBelle Mon 05-Jun-17 20:57:51

Ocado delivery drivers are supposed to check the eggs on delivery

harderandharder2breathe Mon 05-Jun-17 21:06:31

Yes get a refund

I've had the occasional 5 free eggs when ones been broken. If you or the driver notices they will normally request the refund straight away and you can still keep the eggs. I suspect it's more hassle for them to transport one box of eggs back to the warehouse and they'd only be thrown out so you might as welll keep them and make use of the nonbroken ones

WeAllHaveWings Mon 05-Jun-17 21:51:40

Yes get a refund. I got a whole roast in the bag fresh chicken free at the weekend, they substituted with a different type (butter basted instead of herb) and dh said we didn't want so they refunded and told us to keep it and cook it for the dog 😀. They regularly send mince close to date which if we say we don't want they refund and give us for the dog.

Dog obviously looks like he's never fed!

MinkowskisButterfly Mon 05-Jun-17 22:24:55

Yes, I phoned up Sainsbury's and they refunded my eggs when one was broken (I would happily have returned the eggs for said refund but was told to keep them and given my refund).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now