Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wish people would check their facts

(18 Posts)
Woody67 Sun 04-Jun-17 23:46:56

....before just blindly repeating and sharing absolute bullshit on social media! It drives me mad when people share stuff (often Britain first posts) which is totally inaccurate and a simple cursory check on google would expose it as such. I have a friend who does this a lot. Someone else I know just posted some bollocks quote from the Australian prime minister which has been doing the rounds for years. Why do people do this?!

MrsDustyBusty Sun 04-Jun-17 23:48:43

Because they're stupid and they've read something that panders to what they reckon.

RoseOfSharyn Sun 04-Jun-17 23:50:37

You're telling me Avril Lavigne didnt actually die and get replaced by a body double?!

GirlOnATrainToShite Sun 04-Jun-17 23:52:43

Anyone who posts Britain First posts gets deleted .

Wolfiefan Sun 04-Jun-17 23:54:10

Because people are fuckwits who click before they think.

ALoveWorthKeeping Sun 04-Jun-17 23:55:09

Yes yes yes! I've had to block someone on FB today for a comment on a post so I googled it and totally out of context. It was an old comment by someone but in the context of last night sounded horrific. So ignorant.

IvorHughJarrs Sun 04-Jun-17 23:55:58

People don't engage brain or check what they are re-posting. It drives me mad as it isn't just idiots that do it. I have had some absolute shite about the election from people who are educated enough to know better (not talking about different opinions, talking about stuff which could easily be Googled)

user1482079332 Sun 04-Jun-17 23:56:36

Confirmation bias

Brittbugs80 Sun 04-Jun-17 23:59:25

Because it's on Facebook it must be true.

I actually had a conversation with someone who was adamant that no false posts, memes etc are allowed on Facebook and that all posts are moderated the same as on forums...

Rhayader Mon 05-Jun-17 00:00:43

Happens on both sides of the political spectrum. 5 of my friends today have shared a graph of "corporation tax in g20 countries" showing hat under labour we would have comparatively low corp tax.

But their graph only has 6 of the G20 on it 😂 And even those on the graph are misleading numbers. The number chosen for the USA is the highest possible because all states have wildly different rates.

I don't have any friends who share any Britain first posts except the occasional person who will post it for critique. It's very difficult to police this stuff. Just comment with a link to a factual article (I would avoid anything at extreme ends of the spectrum, guardian and telegraph, and post from something like full fact, a published paper in a journal etc).

Although the last time I posted an article from full fact to a friend of a friend I got called "ignorant".

requestingsunshine Mon 05-Jun-17 00:00:54

I love the ones that quote facts like 30% of all people do such and such to blah blah blah. And people share the hell out of it with oooooo this is sooooo interesting! When it's clearly a load of made up bollocks.

RoseOfSharyn Mon 05-Jun-17 00:03:17

Fact!

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Jun-17 00:04:12

That cat is wise Rose!
grin

gunting Mon 05-Jun-17 00:04:39

My boss keeps sharing Britain First type rubbish and it's really fucking annoying and awkward

CondensedMilkSarnies Mon 05-Jun-17 00:06:39

They're trying to appear clever and well read , unfortunately there posts prove otherwise.

C0untDucku1a Mon 05-Jun-17 00:11:13

You can block Britain first so you won't see anyone reposting it

Tartyflette Mon 05-Jun-17 00:22:02

Is Britain First now called Albion First? A 'friend' posted something from the latter which was similar in style and sentiment to Britain First.

Fluffyears Mon 05-Jun-17 00:27:47

I have one that does this. Drives me mad as she shares blatantly untrue stuff and also all that 'copy and paste' shite that comes up.

What really got my back up was some shite about what happens when you commit suicide to your family. How you have to think about them before doing it. Erm ok considering that when I took an overdose all I could think about was how everyone would be better off without me! YOU HAVE NO IDEA SO STOP POSTING SHITE! And breathe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now