Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think anti-vaxxers are weird to not believe science?

(4 Posts)
DollyPartonsBeard Sun 04-Jun-17 17:07:21

I recently was involved in a conversation with an anti-vaxxer who refuses to believe the scientific findings on herd immunity. (This person has chosen not to vaccinate their PFB because a grandparent had a penicillin allergy which they view as a 'vaccination injury').

As seems to be the case with such folks, they insist they're entitled to this belief. AIBU to think that science is a bit different to Santa or the Tooth Fairy and doesn't actually require belief, just understanding?

Person is now posting things on FB saying 'if herd immunity works like it's meant to, why are you so threatened by my child and my beliefs?' and when helpful folks have linked her to research responds with 'well you're entitled to your beliefs hun'.hmm

I'm not planning to engage further as there's clearly no point, but find this whole 'belief' thing really bizarre (and dangerous, inevitably)

Trifleorbust Sun 04-Jun-17 17:09:33

They are entitled to believe what they like, however implausible.

BunsBumpBlur Sun 04-Jun-17 17:12:26

Lots of people believe a lot of weird shit that has no foundation in science. Like the world was created in 7 days and that there is a devil who lives in hell. Welcome to planet earth.

donquixotedelamancha Sun 04-Jun-17 17:21:54

"They are entitled to believe what they like, however implausible."

Indeed, even idiotic, selfish beliefs are not regulated in our society, but actions are- particularly those that harm others. Anti-vaxxers harm two groups through their action (failure to vaccinate):

1. Their children.
2. Anyone who can't be vaccinated, or isn't vaccinated yet, and has to rely on herd immunity.

The price for being in a (moderately) free society is that people must be allowed to make their own choices and the risk of harm anti-vaxxers cause isn't enough to warrant state intervention.

Fortunately the rest of us are free to make them social pariahs and its everyone's duty to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now