Talk

Advanced search

So is May still using security cooperation as a bargaining chip?

(6 Posts)
abilockhart Sun 04-Jun-17 16:42:47

In her message officially triggering the Brexit process, Theresa May included an extraordinary warning over future security.

In the text, she threatened co-operation on terror investigations would be weakened.

I wonder if May still intends to use security cooperation as a bargaining chip?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/brexit-eu-condemns-mays-blackmail-over-security-cooperation

abilockhart Sun 04-Jun-17 16:45:16

Is Theresa May still prepared to put the safety of British
citizens on the line just so she can deliver her hard Brexit?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/fury-over-theresa-mays-blatant-10121279

someonestolemynick Sun 04-Jun-17 16:52:22

She has mastered the art of sounding tough without making any commitment. She was home secretary and then prime minister while the police budget was slashed and accused the police of "crying wolf" when they warned her this would endanger people.

I don't believe for a moment she will make the safety of Brits a priority.

scaryteacher Sun 04-Jun-17 16:52:51

Given that we provide lots of the intelligence, and with the US via NATO, spend what we should on defending Europe, and the vast majority of NATO Nations, who are also EU Member States are happy to ride on US/UK coattails for their collective defence, then fine. I don't think our safety is in question with Article 5 and NATO, and being a member of the Five Eyes as well.

abilockhart Sun 04-Jun-17 17:02:45

So if Theresa May withdraws security cooperation British citizens will be in more danger.

But that's okay because the rest of the EU will be in even more danger.

hmm

scaryteacher Sun 04-Jun-17 19:45:07

Abi If she withdraws security cooperation with the EU, then it will make little difference to British citizens. Perhaps 'I don't think our safety is in question' isn't clear enough for you.

As for the rest of the EU, they need joined up intelligence and policing which is not there at the moment, and some sort of individual border security, which is not there either. Anyone with a brain cell could see that Schengen wasn't the best idea security wise.

There is pooling and sharing of intelligence outwith the aegis of the EU with bilateral agreements and NATO and the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now