Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to go and kick my neighbour's arse?

(113 Posts)
Springersrock Sun 04-Jun-17 08:46:58

We have an 18 year old cat. She's quite thin, a bit rickety and looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards. Her sight is a bit dodgy and she's doesn't go far these days, just mooches around our house and garden.

We've had some glorious weather lately and her absolute favourite thing ever is to snooze the afternoon away on a manhole cover in our front garden (I assume the sun is warming the manhole cover up for her)

5 times in the last few weeks someone has taken her to the RSPCA as she's being neglected. The cat is chipped and the RSPCA call us and we go and pick her up. After the second time the RSPCA recommended we put a photo of cat in our front window explaining she's elderly and that she lives here and to come and knock if anyone has any concerns. Which we did.

Yesterday I get another call. Someone has taken cat to the RSPCA, can we go and get her.

I was chatting to the man behind the desk and he said it was the same person each time and that the RSPCA have told them 4 times that cat is fine, just old and to stop taking her in. The man described the person and it's my bloody neighbour (5 doors down). Looking back, I've caught my neighbour in my garden a few times but just assumed she was stroking/making a fuss of cat

Cat would have found the whole thing distressing. She's always hated the cat carrier and going in the car (for this reason, we use a mobile vet who comes out to us). Cat always stops eating when she's stressed and her eating is pretty erratic at the moment as it is.

I went over to see neighbour yesterday but she wouldn't speak to me and just shut the door in my face.

So now, my poor old lady is going to have to be confined to the house and I'm fucked right off

Sunnyjac Sun 04-Jun-17 08:49:09

Report neighbour to police (111) for theft?

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sun 04-Jun-17 08:49:12

What a twat! Her not you obviously.

Ive got no advice but flowers and a stroke for the kitty.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 04-Jun-17 08:49:37

If your neighbour won't speak to you, you could try a letter. Pop it through her door. Worth a try!

Afreshstartplease Sun 04-Jun-17 08:50:42

Agree report her

ThomasRichard Sun 04-Jun-17 08:51:08

YANBU, that's awful. Is there a neighbourhood community police surgery you could attend for advice? She's basically harassing you.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 04-Jun-17 08:51:46

Yep, report for theft.

mum11970 Sun 04-Jun-17 08:52:24

Can the RSPCA refuse to take the cat and tell your neighbour that she has been told whose cat it is and to return it immediately?

Maiz7654 Sun 04-Jun-17 08:55:08

Your neighbour is clearly crazy! I have old cats and unfortunately they do tend to look a bit bedraggled when they reach a certain age. I can maybe understand taking the cat once. I can't understand taking it again and again when the RSPCA have told her to stop.

Lostwithinthehills Sun 04-Jun-17 08:58:21

It must be getting on the RSPCAs nerves now. Your neighbour obviously isn't listening to the staff at the animal sanctuary but she might listen to a uniformed RSPCA Inspector if they visited her home to tell her to stop. Liase with the sanctuary to arrange a visit to your neighbour from an Inspector.

SnootBooper Sun 04-Jun-17 08:59:25

I second putting a letter through the door just saying thanks for your concern but your cat is elderly. If that doesn't work I'd involve the police.

rainbowstardrops Sun 04-Jun-17 09:01:07

What a peach your neighbour is hmm
Has she had obvious issues with you previously?
If she won't talk to you then I'd put a note through her door explaining that if she comes into your garden again or touches your cat again then you'll have no choice but to contact the police.
Your poor cat sad

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 04-Jun-17 09:02:03

Yeah I'd report her, she's obviously doing it to be spiteful for whatever reason. Poor cat.

TidyDancer Sun 04-Jun-17 09:05:15

What a completely bizarre thing to keep doing! Have you been able to find out why? Does she think the cat needs help?

Springersrock Sun 04-Jun-17 09:05:47

Thanks all

Yes, I'm going to drop a note through her door in a bit.

I could definitely understand the first time, but she's been told 4 times now to pack it in.

The man at the RSPCA is going to leave a note to say they're to refuse to take the cat next time

Poor old thing should be free to spend her last days snoozing uninterrupted on manhole covers in her own garden if that's what she wants to do

kali110 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:06:58

I'd report her.
I'd worry what she'd do next.
Maybe she's thinks it's shitting in her garden or something.
18 op! We have one old cat he's a skinny thing too grin
Our other old one was a porkie confused

wheresthel1ght Sun 04-Jun-17 09:07:46

I would send the letter recorded delivery so that you have evidence she has received it and be be ry clear that it I an harassment and if she doesn't stop then you will be taking legal action. Hopefully she will get the message!

RochelleGoyle Sun 04-Jun-17 09:08:10

I'd do a polite but assertive letter through the door, thanking her for her concern but stating that any further unauthorised removal of your pet will result in you contacting the police. Horrible woman. And what about a sign on garden gate saying cat is not unwell, just old?
Hope your old girl finds an alternative comfy spot in the garden.

Springersrock Sun 04-Jun-17 09:10:27

Sorry, x-posted

No, never had issues with her. She moved in at Christmas and keeps herself to herself.

We've said good morning when putting the bins out and stuff like that and that's pretty much it.

No idea why. Cat does look bedraggled. She's a bit wobbly on her feet and is quite thin - but RSPCA have told her 4 times that she's fine, just very old

QueenArnica Sun 04-Jun-17 09:10:58

Clearly your neighbour is a twunt but surely you are adding to your cat's stress by allowing it to out to the same place when you know this will happen?

I would pop a note through the door and ask them to have a chat with you, but you can't say they are stealing the cat when they are taking it to an animal charity!

SlatternIsTrying Sun 04-Jun-17 09:13:41

Poor wee cat.

My beautiful girl was really really thin in her last months despite being treated like the princess she was and having better food than the DC! The thought of some busy body distressing her by taking her away from the family she loved makes my blood boil.

If the neighbour refuses to speak to you try explaining in a letter and if that doesn't work I would ask the police to have a word.

Hugs to your cat.

I miss the cuddles.

rizlett Sun 04-Jun-17 09:13:59

Does your neighbour look elderly and frail?

I'd be tempted to find a local daycare centre where I could drop her off?

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 04-Jun-17 09:14:31

Springers

The post you write at 0905 is basically the letter you need to send to her.

First time, honest mistake. Second, maybe just stupidity. 4+?! She needs to fuck massively off.

BeepBeepMOVE Sun 04-Jun-17 09:15:54

I would worry that she'd take the cat elsewhere if RSPCA refuse her or she'd try and rehome.

A lot f cats start looking a bit rough when they age. She's an idiot.

minisoksmakehardwork Sun 04-Jun-17 09:16:25

Is there any way of locking your front gate so if she does come in, it's a 'breaking and entering' type situation.

Your cat should be able to rest their weary bones in their favourite place without fear of being scooped up and carted off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now