Talk

Advanced search

WIBU about disabled space? (A parking one - with diagram!)

(28 Posts)
ifigoup Sat 03-Jun-17 21:29:56

DH and I live on quite a busy road (bus route, lots of cars passing et cetera), but we are lucky enough to have plenty of free parking outside and we can almost always park right outside our house or fairly nearby. On our side of the road there are spaces marked out; on the other side of the road there are no spaces marked out, but also no yellow line, so you can park wherever.

We bought the house from a widow. When her husband was alive, he was a blue badge holder, so the space directly outside our house was marked with 'disabled' written in white on the road (space 5 on the diagram). Two houses along from ours is the same situation: there used to be a blue badge holder who lived there, but doesn't live there any more, and the space outside that house (space 7) also has 'disabled' painted on the road.

When we moved in a neighbour (Roger - really!) told us that the disabled spaces had been decommissioned so now anyone could park there. He said that because the plaques have been taken down from the wall, this meant officially the spaces were no longer in use as blue badge spaces. I assume at some point the council will get around to painting over where it says 'disabled' on the road, but they haven't done yet, and to be honest, it's quite convenient, because we generally can park in the space right outside our house as I think some people (not the neighbours, but randoms – as I say, it's quite a busy road, so people other than the residents regularly park there) do seem to think it is still a disabled space and so obviously don't park there. But all the neighbours freely park in any of the spaces.

The other day, DH and I had been out, and when we came back all the spaces were full apart from the one on the end of the road by the bus stop, which I've marked as space 1 in the diagram. (In reality the spaces don't have numbers on them and aren't assigned to any particular house.) It's a bit further up the road, so we'd never parked there before, and I noticed it was also marked as 'disabled' on the road, but also didn't have a plaque on the wall, so we assumed it was the same situation and it was no longer in use.

The next day, over 24 hours later, I was feeding the baby when the doorbell rang. I went to answer it, and a neighbour I hadn't met before asked me whether I knew who owned the red Ford in the space on the end. I couldn't see the car he was talking about, and had forgotten that we'd parked so far up, but ours is a Peugeot, so I replied honestly that I didn't know who owned the Ford. After he left I went upstairs and looked out the window and realised that he must've been talking about our car after all as it was the only red car in sight. I texted DH, who was coming home from work by bus and was about 15 minutes away. I told him that I thought we'd parked in a disabled space after all, and asked whether as soon as he got home he could please move the car. I was, as I said, feeding the baby, and it would've meant taking baby outside in pyjamas, putting baby in car seat for literally one minute while I moved the car, getting baby back inside again, and generally waking baby up just as baby was getting ready to go to sleep.

I heard DH come back, get the keys and move the car. When I came downstairs I asked DH what had happened. He said the neighbour had been really arsey with him and had been sitting idling in his car waiting for the space to be freed up (even though the neighbour had no way of knowing how long it might be until the owner of the car came back). DH said he'd apologised profusely to the neighbour and told him we'd been informed the space was no longer in use as a blue badge space. The neighbour said crossly, 'Well you were informed wrong, weren't you?'. And of course I do see that if you have a reserved space it must be very annoying and inconvenient not to be able to park in it.

So, two questions:

1. Was I BU not to go out and move the car straight away?

2. Does anyone know whether it is in fact correct that if there is no plaque on the wall then the space is no longer in use as a disabled space? As it is, there is nothing to distinguish space 1 from the disabled space outside our house, or the one further along. If these have in fact been decommissioned, then this suggests space 1 has also been decommissioned, and while I'm sure the neighbour would like to park right outside his house, in that case he needs to take his chances along with everyone else. Also, I thought any blue badge holder could use any blue badge space, in which case presumably any other disabled person could also park in space 1 whenever they liked and he could never guarantee to get it. On the other hand, if the plaque thing is wrong, this suggests we should never park in ANY of spaces 1, 5 or 7 even though everyone else definitely does park freely in 5 and 7.

I already feel guilty and awful. I just want to know whether I should feel even more guilty and awful than I actually do, or whether this amount is fine.

Mysterycat23 Sat 03-Jun-17 21:37:17

Neighbour probably doing the same as you, disabled bay decommissioned and just likes to park outside his own house. People get weirdly territorial about their parking especially on a shared street.

Utterly pointless but hey ho.

Check his car for blue badge?

And get the council to remove any decommissioned disabled bays on the entire street. That would be fair.

Hippee Sat 03-Jun-17 21:39:48

I would check with the council because I think that your neighbour is trying it on. I think that there should be a notice on a wall or lampost to go with the parking space - there are quite a few round us that are no longer current - the painting seems to stay on the road until it wears off.

EggysMom Sat 03-Jun-17 21:43:30

Not all councils put up a plaque/sign by a marked disabled bay outside of a house - we have a bay (disabled son) and there's no sign.

With no sign advising otherwise, a disabled bay is free to be used by anybody with a BB. So yes, another disabled person could park in the bay outside no.1. (In the same way, somebody could park outside our house.)

I don't know about de-commissioning disabled bays - I don't know how to request it, but would presume the council comes along and burns off the paint markings. For as long as the markings are present, they are still 'disabled' bays and shouldn't really be used by those without BB's ... but you can't exactly stop people doing so, all you can do is moan.

ifigoup Sat 03-Jun-17 21:47:35

Might have to check with the council then - I obviously don't want to stop anyone parking in a disabled space who needs to, but it's probably overkill to have three so close together (and we're not near shops or anything like that).

EggysMom Sat 03-Jun-17 21:48:05

Just found the difference (thank you Google).

With a sign - statutory disabled bays, somebody that doesn't have a BB can be prosecuted for parking there.

Without a sign - advisory disabled bays, it is a courtesy that non-BB holders would not park in such bays but preventing their use cannot be enforced.

Twofurrycats Sat 03-Jun-17 21:50:48

My next door neighbour had a disabled space: lines round it, writing on the road and a sign on the wall. A while after she gave up her mobility car another neighbour complained to the council about the space. They took the sign off but left the paint and it was no longer a disabled space. (I thought this was mean as she still had a blue badge and a carer and daughter with cars).

Iamcheeseman Sat 03-Jun-17 21:55:29

What eggsy said.
The spaces that people get painted outside their houses (no signs) are just advisory and anyone can park in one.
Disabled bays with signs are ones you need badges for legally.

jmh740 Sat 03-Jun-17 22:23:52

As others have said a disabled bay without a wall sign is for anyone with a blue badge. A space with a wall sign is for a designated person.

Chloe84 Sat 03-Jun-17 22:34:13

Jmh740 - I don't think that's what others have said?

I've seen disabled bays with wall/post signs that are meant for anyone with a blue badge.

jmh740 Sat 03-Jun-17 23:50:48

Usually the wall posts will have the badge number on so they are specifically for a named person while the ones without a badge on the wall are for anyone with a blue badge. Oh has a blue badge ndn on either side have disabled spaces outside but they have been there for years and are not needed by the people in the houses anymore both the people who needed the spaces have passed away. So oh has never requested a space outside he just uses the disabled spaces on either side of our house.

Casschops Sun 04-Jun-17 06:41:00

I am sure it varies from each area but an accessible space is an accessible space.Where I live there are no plaques on walls in residential areas however the person. Whose house it is outside doesn't"own"the space even if it was put in for them. It can be parked in by any blue badge holder.

FrancisCrawford Sun 04-Jun-17 06:51:49

The Blue Badge scheme guidance makes no reference to any on-street parking allocated to a specific badge.

On the contrary, it is quite clear that any BB holder can use a BB space.

Perhaps the rules used to be different but this is the current position.

TheMonkeyAndThePlywoodViolin Sun 04-Jun-17 07:03:52

It doesn't sound decommissioned.

WateryTart Sun 04-Jun-17 07:17:13

Check with the council. If you were in the wrong it was an honest mistake. But if you weren't then tell the neighbour what the council said.

catsarenice Sun 04-Jun-17 07:19:10

I'd probably 'go for a stroll' and see if their car has a blue badge...

youarenotkiddingme Sun 04-Jun-17 07:25:20

I agree about calling the council for clarification.

You acted on information given to you. But if the space is for disabled it either needs moving if there's no residents requiring it or being left empty for BB holders.

Northgate Sun 04-Jun-17 07:33:30

I'd check with the council.

Coastalcommand Sun 04-Jun-17 08:52:07

Does your neighbour have a blue badge?

BumWad Sun 04-Jun-17 08:55:54

This was the dullest parking thread I have ever read.

RitaMills Sun 04-Jun-17 08:59:20

Phone and check with the council. If you tell them that the person it was originally for isn't there anymore and it is a wasted space then the will remove it. One in my mums street has just been jet washed away so the new owners can park in front of their house.

TheMonkeyAndThePlywoodViolin Sun 04-Jun-17 09:02:47

If he has a blue badge..as it sounds like, because he is trying to enforce it, why report him or ask council to remove it?

Maybe just leave it for him to use hmm

BumWad Sun 04-Jun-17 09:05:28

Korres Wild Rose

RitaMills Sun 04-Jun-17 09:22:59

It does sound like he has a BB, I meant enquire about the other two there seems to be a bit of confusion over. If they aren't needed it's just silly to waste two parking spots (or three if this man doesn't have a BB).

RainbowPastel Sun 04-Jun-17 09:40:04

In my city they burn the paint off the road as soon as the person moves or dies very quickly.

You should have moved your car straight away. Baby could have stayed in your house safely whilst you moved your car a few doors away. No need to take them with you for such a short length of time.

Ypu shouldn't be parking there while the paint is still marking the space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now