Talk

Advanced search

A quick wwyd about seeing the gp

(14 Posts)
Chocolatericekrispiecakes Sat 03-Jun-17 16:42:38

Ds1 9yo is unwell, started Tuesday, he had a high temp, sore throat, headache and feeling shaky. Have been dosing him up with calpol. Thought he'd be better by now but although his temperature is normal now, he's in a lot of pain with his throat. I've looked at it, it's very red with white gunky bits. He's barely moved off the sofa since Tuesday which is not like him.

Thing is ds2 and I have both had this bug this week, we did recover after 3-5 days but my throat did hurt for a week and I needed loads of painkillers. We took ds2 to the doctors because he was crying with a bad throat and they didn't give him anything, and he did eventually get well on his own.

Not sure whether to take ds1 to the walk in centre, usually involves a long wait chances are he'll get better without antibiotics?

NHS website seems to suggest they don't like giving antibiotics for throat even if it's bacterial.

Chocolatericekrispiecakes Sat 03-Jun-17 16:44:32

Tues-Sat seems a long time to be unwell?

onestepforwardtenstepsback Sat 03-Jun-17 16:44:47

If it's white gunk it's bacterial tonsillitis and needs antibiotics. Poor luv hope he's better soon flowers

ijustwannadance Sat 03-Jun-17 16:45:29

Sounds like tonsillitis. I would take him.

Pinkheart5919 Sat 03-Jun-17 16:49:45

I'd give it a full 7 days ( maybe even 10) before I worried tbh. I know you recovered after 3-5 days but different bodies recover at different speeds.

Plenty of rest, fluids, maybe a vitamin tablet, fruit.

I find when my throats is bad cold fizzy water feels lovely!

You can also buy a throat spray which I've felt a help a few times

Kittykatmacbill Sat 03-Jun-17 17:09:08

Check how long you can give calpol for but I am sure after 3 days you are supposed to see your gp. So yes enjoy the wait at the walk in...

Fluffyemenent Sat 03-Jun-17 17:11:53

The 3 days thing is nonsense. Fine to continue for as long as it is needed so long as you/they are not getting rapidly worse, are taking fluids and you are not overly concerned for any other reason.

COI GP

Scribblegirl Sat 03-Jun-17 17:15:36

I think tonsillitis is doing the rounds OP, it certainly is where I am.

As an adult I'd stick it out but at 9yo I think I'd take him. Realistically though I'd prepare for a 'no'!

Haggisfish Sat 03-Jun-17 17:18:10

White gunk always results in antibiotics from gp for me.

Brittbugs80 Sat 03-Jun-17 17:28:04

I've had these exact symptoms in Tenerife last week. They nearly stopped me flying and diagnosed mild glandular fever. I had 6 weeks of antibiotics in two injections and a 3 week course of antibiotics to take here and my symptoms are just easing. Dr here confirmed glandular fever too.

Take him. Why leave him to suffer?

Bingowingslikeashieldofsteel Sat 03-Jun-17 17:42:09

I've got it at the mo too and am debating fighting for an appointment for some antibiotics to see if I can speed my recovery up! If you can get him seen then do, it flipping well hurts and the antibiotics don't take long to kick in so the sooner he can start them the better.

In the meantime I find hot drinks more soothing - hot lemonade is a good one with a spoonful of honey stirred in if he likes it. I often add a nip of brandy too but that's probably not the best suggestion for him!!

Chocolatericekrispiecakes Sat 03-Jun-17 17:42:11

He's fallen asleep atm.

I don't think I'm leaving him to suffer, I'm weighing up whether he's probably got the same bug me and ds2 have had this week, when ds2 was told no need to antibiotics.

Marmalady75 Sat 03-Jun-17 17:44:38

I'd rather take my ds to be checked and possibly waste some time than put it off and have him in unnecessary pain and discomfort.

UnbornMortificado Sat 03-Jun-17 17:57:40

After 5 days I'd get it checked. I have to have something hanging off to get seen myself but I'm more vigilant with my DD's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now