Talk

Advanced search

To find tales of Good Deeds on FB quite unpleasant?

(38 Posts)
GreatWhites Sat 03-Jun-17 16:08:56

I'm on a FB page for teachers and there's a post currently running about a teacher who has made welcome packs for refugees. The poster goes into detail about how all the refugees cried and were so touched by the children's kindness... They even said 'thank you' in English.

I know that it was a kind thing to do- it just smacks of rich Victorians going out to visit the poor as a lesson.

Have Syrians not gone through enough without being used as a tool to get 1.4k FB 'likes'?! Or am I mega cynical?

JuicyStrawberry Sat 03-Jun-17 16:10:50

YANBU. If you're cynical then I am as well.

Sirzy Sat 03-Jun-17 16:10:57

I get you, often the posts are more "look at me" than anything else

MrsJayy Sat 03-Jun-17 16:14:51

Is that not that virtual signaling i read about on mumsnet? Yes it is a bit cringy i guess but folk to like to be melodramatic don't they

brasty Sat 03-Jun-17 16:15:57

I totally agree, just make the welcome packs, no need to shout about it.

HattiesBackpack Sat 03-Jun-17 16:16:07

I get you OP, it's all a bit Lady Bountiful isn't it. Charity work and good deeds are very very important, but they shouldn't be paraded about.

MrsJayy Sat 03-Jun-17 16:16:12

Yanbu though yes refugees have been through enough

hoopdeloop Sat 03-Jun-17 16:19:33

I think I may be on the same FB page and had a similar thought when I saw it

BigGreenOlives Sat 03-Jun-17 16:19:55

One of the reasons to report on the action/good deed is to encourage others.

Witchend Sat 03-Jun-17 16:20:25

"Washing your clean linen on public" I think is from Look Back in Anger, which describes it.

It's no different from on here where someone posts "Aibu to do something nice" so they can get lots of posts saying how wonderful they are (unless it is a Samaritan Shoebox in which case they're beyond the pale).

Most people meanwhile do plenty of kind thing because they want to and don't ned mass appreciation.

GreatWhites Sat 03-Jun-17 16:20:47

There's definitely a scene in a classic novel where the protagonist goes to visit Dreadfully Poor Children and is very touched.

They always seem surprised that poor people/ children/ refugees have manners, as if they were expecting them to growl at them or something.

Flumpernickel Sat 03-Jun-17 16:24:39

It really does my head in too, but I cannot seem to put my finger on why.

Yanbu.

steppedonlego Sat 03-Jun-17 16:25:24

I sit on the fence. Yes it can appear to be a bit virtuous, but it can also inspire others, I've copied a few ideas that I came across on Facebook as and when I saw them. I think it depends on the person and how it's framed.

GahBuggerit Sat 03-Jun-17 16:38:29

Urgh, a friend put a massive post on fb how her child gave their pocket money to a homeless person and posted a fucking picture of her DD handing the money over. The poor bloke looked like he wanted to shrivel up. I felt so sorry for him being used like that. Her DD was duckfacing aswell as if it wasn't bad enough.

Yanbu, I hate this.

WillowWeeping Sat 03-Jun-17 16:41:37

The fact is not enough people "help" and there are thousands of people that need support. If someone else's post encourages someone else then that's a good thing surely?

blubberball Sat 03-Jun-17 16:41:59

Gahbuggerit, that is definitely wrong to post a picture. Poor bloke. sad

NellieFiveBellies Sat 03-Jun-17 16:43:16

that's disgusting. how humiliating for that poor bloke.

i do hate this shit . oh look at me look how nice and kind i am tell me how wonderful i am praise me give me attention look how fab i am arent i wonderful.

the test of what kind of person you are comes in the choices you make when nobody is watching and nobody will know.

doing something and then jumping up and down demanding worship does not make someone a nice, kind person. it is a selfish act.

GreatWhites Sat 03-Jun-17 16:44:50

GahBuggerit oh no, how awful. Poor poor man.

LordBeefCurtain Sat 03-Jun-17 16:47:15

I know someone like this and it is nauseating. Lady Bountiful is the perfect description. It is more about them than the people they are 'helping'. I am going to call them Lady Bountiful with my tongue very firmly in cheek and a cheeky wink next time I witness such braggery! Wonder if the message will get through....

Let's all do this cheekily and see if they get it!

AirBiscuitEater Sat 03-Jun-17 16:48:05

YANBU. Hate all this "let's go feed a homeless person and video it in order to gain likes". 'Tis utter crap.

TigerShark Sat 03-Jun-17 16:48:39

I think the whole 'like' thing has become pretty narcissistic in most cases. Actually, this week I have started to comment only if I appreciate something (and comment if I don't appreciate something, but that's a different kind of comment...)

GahBuggerit Sat 03-Jun-17 16:50:41

the way it was worded it was clear it was just for show to be all " oh look how kind my DD is"

Hmm, that'll be the same DD who was given detention a few weeks later for bullying then? Good stuff angry

cdtaylornats Sat 03-Jun-17 16:52:05

My optician collect glasses to sent to refugees. He advertises it on his facebook page - otherwise he would be limited to customers who see the sign in his shop (and that's after they get new glasses)

LordBeefCurtain Sat 03-Jun-17 16:56:42

cdtaylor but is your optician posting photos and videos of themselves handing over said glasses to all the grateful refugees? Are they writing how thankful they were at his utter kindness?

iamavodkadrinker Sat 03-Jun-17 16:57:29

It's a very modern thing. People can't just do a good deed, everyone else has to know what a good person they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now