Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU- family meet ups away from home?

(8 Posts)
pop000 Sat 03-Jun-17 15:47:08

I know I'm probably going to get a lot of YABUs...but does anyone else really not enjoy visitors in their home? DS is the first grand baby on both sides and I'm finding the visits every week pretty intense and taking over our weekends. I also hate people in my home, moving everything, rolling their eyes when I ask them to remove their shoes..also they don't ever seem to leave! I know that sounds horrible but I really just want days to do nothing with DS and DH. I'm not keen to go to theirs, parents have a spoilt dog that is horrible to be around and PIL always have friends over or nosey neighbours that try to have a cuddle with lo (they live in a small old school village) and I think people are starting to get offended that I always suggest meeting somewhere for a walk and a coffee!

Gottagetmoving Sat 03-Jun-17 15:55:24

YANBU
Although I think it's unusual not to ever want close relatives to visit I totally get not wanting visitors. I would rather meet people somewhere else. I hate hosting. No one can tell you how you FEEL is unreasonable.

Butterymuffin Sat 03-Jun-17 15:58:10

Block off certain weekends for no visitors and then take it on the chin on the others. I would say every other weekend. Get your DH on board with this.

pipsqueak25 Sat 03-Jun-17 16:34:44

i've never been a hoster tbh, ime some people don't know when to leave and give the impression that because you've fed and watered them over five or six hours you have now adopted them iyswim grin

DarkFloodRises Sat 03-Jun-17 16:37:49

How often do you see your parents and PILs? Could you cut it down a bit?

embo1 Sat 03-Jun-17 16:53:21

"We're saving this weekend to have ds to ourselves, but you are welcome on the weekend of 6th/7th"
Ask them to bring food or shopping you need and get them to stick the kettle on for you as you have your hands full. they'll probably start coming less often.

EggysMom Sat 03-Jun-17 16:57:27

Every weekend? Way too often, yanbu.

Set a rota in place - weekend 1 is one side of family; weekend 2 is kept clear; weekeend 3 is the other family; weekend 4 is clear; and repeat ...

pop000 Sat 03-Jun-17 18:10:44

Thanks for the replies ladies! I like the idea of blocking certain weekends and doing a rota, however we shall see how well that goes. We were nearly there with it and having visits every other weekend but they all kept changing the boundaries and making other plans so as a result we were almost seeing them more thinking we wouldn't have to the next weekend and then come Friday night they're calling us both up and guilt tripping us into visits because their plans had 'changed' We shall see how this suggestion goes.... other than that we can always move really far away grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now