Talk

Advanced search

To want to punch these parents?

(32 Posts)
Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Fri 02-Jun-17 16:40:12

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/parents-thorpe-park-left-baby-hour-queue-hour-ride-theme-park-a7768931.html

Is this for real? Have I woken up and not realised it's April Fools' Day?
On the assumption that the answer to the previous question is no, then what the actual fuckerage was going through their heads?

pipsqueak25 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:12:13

this sounds like the sketch 'mind the baby mr bean' but that was amusing this is ... words fail me

Pinkheart5919 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:18:13

I think it's real!

Sometimes I wonder about the common sense of some parents.

What kind of parent fucks off leaving a small child in a strange place unattended so they can go on a ride?

LiveLongAndProspero Fri 02-Jun-17 17:19:35

Not very good parenting.

But why do you want to punch them? Do you struggle with violent impulses?

Jupitar Fri 02-Jun-17 17:22:27

It says their 11 year old was supposed to have been looking after the baby wtf, expecting a child to look after another child in a theme park for over an hour. Oh thanks mum and dad I'll just stand here on my tod for an hour.

LiveLongAndProspero Fri 02-Jun-17 17:24:54

So where did the 11 year old go? Surely thats less of an explanation and more of another problem: they let an 11 year old wander off in a theme park?

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Fri 02-Jun-17 17:27:01

The punch bit was just rage at their incredulity.

I don't generally struggle with violent impulses, no. Hope that's cleared that up

DearMrDilkington Fri 02-Jun-17 17:27:32

Sadly doesn't surprise me... at least social services are looking into things at home.

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 02-Jun-17 17:29:30

The 11 year old was there, they made themselves known to the security.
It's crap parenting but the baby wasn't abandoned.

Pinkheart5919 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:36:54

Well actually the baby was abandoned, the people that took the child to staff stood there for 10/15 minutes and no 11 year old was around! "We stood with her for ten to 15 minutes. No one turned up so we called security"

The 11 year old may of come forward once security had the baby, but how long had this baby been alone before the passers by saw it?

How stupid has a parent got to be to leave a 11 year old alone with a baby for However long to go on a ride? What 11 year old wants to do nothing in a theme park? When you have dc amazingly they need you know looking after

TheweewitchRoz Fri 02-Jun-17 17:45:51

This feels all a bit sensationalist to me - an 11yr old should be perfectly capable of watching a baby in a pram for a short while. Not saying it's right that they were gone so long, but I assume they didn't realise the queue was as long as it was. Why on earth this made the paper seems a strange one??

YogiYoni Fri 02-Jun-17 17:54:07

Did you read to the end? Once the 11 year old saw security there s/he came back to the pram. She could probably see it at all times. It's not great parenting and I suspect security had firm words, but I'd leave my DS with his 11yo cousin (not for an hour, but at the park while I ran to the shop or something) so I can see the thought process there.

TheweewitchRoz Fri 02-Jun-17 18:00:59

Completely agree Yogi.

sparechange Fri 02-Jun-17 18:03:00

There was a thread on here a while ago where a poster saw the exact same thing happen. They were posting to ask what they should do and were told to call security.

The parents casually came back and couldn't see what was wrong

Soupygirl Fri 02-Jun-17 18:04:41

Witnessed a mum leave her toddler sleeping on a chair once in a busy kids holiday park disco.I assume that she took her baby back to the chalet. She didn't say anything to anyone, we kept expecting her to return in a moment. After 20 minutes or so I fetched security, anyone could have picked the little one up. It was one of those moments that you can't quite believe happened and it was so unexpected. The place was absolutely heaving with people. I don't get it.

BoomBoomsCousin Fri 02-Jun-17 18:05:06

Assuming the parents aren't lying about the 11 year old and they had no reason to think she would leave the baby, and they hadn't brought her along and expected her to do it for the whole day, I think this could be a case of a reasonable decision going wrong and they shouldn't be criticized for it, they can learn from it as most parents do when they realise their judgement was wrong. And that's enough.

I would expect most 11 year olds to be capable fo staying with a baby for an hour or so. It doesn't sound like a great day out for the 11 year old (though who knows, maybe that was part of a negotiation - "We can go to Thorpe park, but you will need to stay with the baby for a third of the time, we'll do things as a family for a third of the time and we'll do what you want for a third of the time.). A theme park isn't a terrible place to give an 11 year old a bit of responsibility, it's a family friendly environment with lots of staff around. 1 - 1.5 hours is a fairly long time though and on the edge of what I would think was acceptable in normal circumstances.

Of course if they made the 11 year old up, or didn't actually tell her to stay with the baby, or knew she was flaky, then that's another matter. Or they'd come into the park and left her with the baby for 3 hours already and weren't intending coming back for a lot longer, or if they constantly use her to babysit while they have fun and don't give her the attention and care she deserves, then that's another way this could be really poor parenting. Parenting decisions can be quite complex and you don't know from this report whether it's a culture of expecting maturity from the older daughter or a culture of selfishness.

Hairyfairy01 Fri 02-Jun-17 18:10:31

I left my 15 month old with my 11 year old at Euro Disney whilst myself and dh went on a ride. Never thought twice about it, 11 year old is / was sensible. I would be more concerned in why the 11 year wasn't with the buggy, at 11 she really should have been trusted.

sexcauldron Fri 02-Jun-17 18:23:39

Livelong clearly just wanted to claim the first arsey comment award. The rest of us knew what you meant.

I don't understand how these folk could think this behaviour was acceptable. You would only need to turn your back for 10 seconds for something bad to happen, nevermind an hour.

LiveLongAndProspero Fri 02-Jun-17 19:19:58

Is there a trophy?

Blankscreen Fri 02-Jun-17 19:27:01

Its awful. Surely that is part of going to a theme park with children is that you just have to accept that you can't go on the ride and you need to look after your children.
Take it in turns etc.

Also the are queue indication times at the front of the queues at there park so they knew how long it would take.

user1486062886 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:29:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Fri 02-Jun-17 20:52:06

@YogiYoni there are two points really. The first is the 11 year wasn't actually physically supervising the baby. Secondly if someone had ulterior motives and wanted to take that child, it could have easily been done. How hard would it have been to make off with the baby calmly in the pushchair even if the child was right there, things this happen in the blink of an eye. After all, the 11 year old and the baby's parents were off on a fucking rollercoaster. She's lucky that decent people came across the situation and not someone quite different. People that listened to her explanation and account. Loads of people must have blindly walked past that buggy by the bin.

Tonight we could have been reading a very different article in the papers / online.

TheweewitchRoz Fri 02-Jun-17 21:20:39

To be fair, thankfully there aren't baby snatchers on every corner.

BarbarianMum Fri 02-Jun-17 21:36:14

sad Although I have to say I could totally have been trusted to look after a baby for an hour age 11.

Hairyfairy01 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:45:04

Where did it say the 11 year old was on a rollercoaster? I read it as the parents took 3 of there children on a rollercoaster leaving their 11 year old to look after the baby who was in a buggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now