Talk

Advanced search

To not offer squash?

(66 Posts)
OwlinaTree Thu 01-Jun-17 16:47:02

Have just chucked out most of a bottle of diluting squash that went out of date in Dec! Me and dh used to drink loads of it but have given it up a while ago now. No one drinks it now.

It was useful though for visiting children. But not that many actually wanted it. My ds is 3, most of his friends don't drink it. I'd was mainly the slightly older children that visit us.

I don't really want to buy another bottle if it's just going to get chucked away, but can I really get away with only offering milk or water to visiting children?

OwlinaTree Thu 01-Jun-17 16:48:26

It was not I'd was, sorry.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 01-Jun-17 16:49:10

We only have water in this house. DS is now 15 - most of his friends drink that anyway!

kaytee87 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:49:27

Milk and water perfectly ok for visitors. If you're having a party then maybe buy some.
I hated it as a child and much preferred water but hardly ever got offered any at other people's houses.

LoudBatPerson Thu 01-Jun-17 16:50:37

Of course YANBU. Offer what you have, If you don;t keep squash in the house routinely don't buy it just in case for visitors. Water or milk will be fine.

early30smum Thu 01-Jun-17 16:52:56

YANBU. Mine only drink water or milk and I don't buy squash or juice for visitors!

Zippydoodah Thu 01-Jun-17 16:52:59

Do you drink fruit juice? But if guests are happy with water yanbu to offer that

zukiecat Thu 01-Jun-17 17:05:38

I always have juice in the house, I don't like water or milk, and I only drink coffee if I'm out wth someone

That said, I would never expect anyone to have juice in their house just for me

wisteriainbloom Thu 01-Jun-17 17:07:22

It's about £1 at most, up to you. I drink squash as don't like tea or coffee.

Pinkheart5917 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:09:50

Mine are only babies so it's always water or milk.

I look after friends older children sometimes and I never have squash in. So it's water, milk or fresh fruit juice.

FitnessFad Thu 01-Jun-17 17:11:27

Would it really be a huge problem to keep a £1 bottle of squash in the cupboard?!

HerBluebiro Thu 01-Jun-17 17:13:08

Buy a smaller bottle?

If you and dh used to drink loads you know the minute you throw it out you'll get a craving!

wisteriainbloom Thu 01-Jun-17 17:13:51

This reminds of that batshit thread about squash that got completely out of hand and some of us were having to link to scientific journals for those having a panic attach about it being in the house.

drinkingtea Thu 01-Jun-17 17:14:59

If you have regular visitors who only drink squash and aren't annoying but it...

But squash is actually a weird idea, it doesn't even exist as a concept in most countries. I wonder how so many children have come to believe they need to add flavoured syrup to their water...

drinkingtea Thu 01-Jun-17 17:15:26

Buy not but

Passthecake30 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:15:36

We didn't have any in the house pre kids.

My two like the 42p value/smartprice squash so if you are really worried you could push the boat out?!

wisteriainbloom Thu 01-Jun-17 17:16:22

So is drinking the milk from another animal but it's touted as healthy.

You could break down the majority of food that is fed to humans as being unnatural.

KingLooieCatz Thu 01-Jun-17 17:16:48

I have never kept squash in the house. Don't intend to start. No difficulties so far.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Thu 01-Jun-17 17:21:08

I buy fresh or concentrated juice for visitors, we drink what's left and no bottle of squash left in the cupboard.

OwlinaTree Thu 01-Jun-17 17:21:09

Thanks guys. We have juice occasionally if we have overnight visitors.

Lol, I hadn't really thought about the fact it's pretty cheap! I could push the boat out! grin

TotoToe Thu 01-Jun-17 17:21:52

We don't have squash in our house except for parties. We occasionally buy fruit juice, but generally only have water to offer to guests.

yellowbroccoli Thu 01-Jun-17 17:21:55

Water or milk is perfectly fine, my DS nursery/preschool only serve water and milk they aren't allowed squash. It's the norm these days for kids to drink water, if the children are thirsty they'll drink it. My DS never drinks squash except for the occasional fruit shoot while we're out wink
I'm not opposed to squash but water is cheap and easy to constantly fill bottles up with. It's a good habit to get them into while they're young grin

HotelEuphoria Thu 01-Jun-17 17:25:01

Your choice but a bottle of cheap stuff isn't going to break the bank. We drink two bottles of Tesco or Sainsbury's Hi Juice a week, one orange one grapefruit. But that is all we drink here along with tea. All four of us.

Well DD would drink anything fizzy too, but I don't buy it because of the enamel erosion factor.

maddiemookins16mum Thu 01-Jun-17 17:26:36

I like a glass of Roses Lime cordial, I also buy squash, DD and her friends have had two glasses today - it's not poison.
I also remember making squash ice lollies in the 80's for the kids I nannied.
Honestly, everything in moderation.

Turquoise123 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:32:42

of course you can - many of us would be rather annoyed if our children were offered sugar drinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now