Talk

Advanced search

Downstairs neighbours hoovering at 7.30am

(78 Posts)
user1490817986 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:58:30

Neighbours downstairs who are lovely have just woken me up at 7.30am with their hoovering. I was watching a film in bed at 10.30pm one night and she started hoovering. Also put the washing machine on at midnight sometimes, and it sounds like a fucking helicopter.

I don't know if this is passive agressive behaviour, because sometimes my cat is a bastard and runs/scuttles/meows along my bedroom floor to harass me for breakfast. The floor is laminate but I can't afford to put carpet down.

He did it once this morning (he hasn't done it for a few weeks) at around 6.20am, so i'm wondering if they are being passive aggressive with the hoovering at 7.30am.

I'm always considerate of them and I won't hoover in the evenings because one of them works shifts but I'm not sure when/times etc.

AIBU to think they are being dicks to hoover at 7.30am?

tinytemper66 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:56:48

This why I am always grateful to live in a detached property....vacuum, put appliances on and have a noisy cat without disturbing others. Plus I am up at 6 in term time. My husband is a shift worker and I do not clean when he has been nights. However, I cannot stop the neighbours from mowing their lawns during the day if he is asleep.

Daftmare Fri 02-Jun-17 21:35:44

Well by that criteria i.e. not hoovering before every single person in the land is up, and not hoovering at night, a lot of us would only be doing it at the weekend. I think people have got to realise that if they don't have to get up till 8.30 then that's a bit of a luxury.

user1480459555 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:21:43

7.30am is early and whilst a lot of people are up by that time, many are not.

Just because someone is up early does not make it right if they start hovering or making other noise.

As I said, I am up early even at weekends and I know my next door neighbour is usually up early but I still don't hoover until after 9am. It's just respectful.

Quite a few of my friends and family don't get up until 8.30am even ones that work.

LiveLongAndProspero Fri 02-Jun-17 18:00:20

It's called your life. It's not everyones!

AwaywiththePixies27 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:58:02

^They don't start school until 9am, they don't need to be up at 6.
7:30 is ridiculously early to make noise^

That's your DCs. Many parents have to get their children into breakfast club because they start work at 9am.

The last job I had I had to be in the office for 8:15am.

All the people around me work nights and leave at 6am for early shifts.

It's called life.

Coddiwomple Fri 02-Jun-17 17:40:39

Even on a weekday, my kids are still asleep at half seven when they are tired. They don't start school until 9am, they don't need to be up at 6.
7:30 is ridiculously early to make noise. I have seen a couple of lease where it was explicitly forbidden to make such noise at ridiculous hours. Not much you can do to apply the rules unfortunately.

It is however perfectly acceptable to make noise if you have been kept awake or awaken by the neighbours. Sometimes it works and they do stop making noise at unsociable hours eventually.

AwaywiththePixies27 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:14:46

7:30am isn't early user.

On a Sunday, yes maybe, on a weekday when people have a day to be getting on with. Not at all.

user1480459555 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:31:37

I am surprised so many people think it is ok to hoover so early.

I am up at around 6am most days but would never dream of hoovering at that time. I think 9am is a more acceptable time.

I know quite a few people who do not get up early for various reasons and think it would be unfair if they were woken by someone who can't put off hoovering until later in the day

ThaliaLuxurySpa Fri 02-Jun-17 01:16:02

Fuzzy,

Really hope your DC was helped by NICU.

Must have been an incredibly worrying time for you.

Any neighbour aware of that type of serious situation, yet still not showing understanding about unavoidable noise, is bloody heartless angry

ThaliaLuxurySpa Fri 02-Jun-17 01:05:00

OP,
Nothing useful to add re early hoovering, but you can minimise the potential reason for them doing it:
Invest in one of those timer automatic cat feeders, set for 6am?

That way your cat will help himself; won't need to make a row by running around in order to wake you up for food/ disturbing the neighbours..
I've wangled an extra hour of peace that way. Hooray.

(Though no guarantee he won't still do it after eating, just to get your attention...cats, eh?).

AwaywiththePixies27 Thu 01-Jun-17 22:50:18

Slow news day in the daily mail then! grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4561790/Is-housework-anti-social.html

But then I have been flamed on a certain thread, defending a OP who was terribly 'bad-mannered' in sitting outside until 1030pm, on a friday evening, in her own garden, drinking and talking with 4 friends.....

I was on that thread, you forgot the two parties 'gatherings' in short succession complete with music.

FuzzyPillow Thu 01-Jun-17 17:45:44

I used to live in a flat with shitty soundproofing and would sometimes put the washing machine & shower at 11:30pm...... I had DC in NICU and lived in the hospital with DC 18+ hours a day. I'm afraid DC was a priority so the neighbours had to suck it up. It's unfortunate I had to do it, but I have no regrets, especially as the neighbours turned out to be utter cunts weekly threatening letters from them in legalese

So there may be another side to this story. Though I acknowledge there probably isn't here.

Mummmy2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:01:22

DM have been reading your post, your in the news.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 01-Jun-17 16:57:05

I think it's more they don't realise the noise that travels down .. I often put a wash on before I go bed . It's pretty standard in this house . I Hoover as an when I can fit it in .. saying that . I've got no-one below me x

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:55:27

Elite Tree Services Can you please start your wood chippers a bit later than 8am Ta.

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:51:15

If its my day off I will still be asleep at eight thirty so wouldn't appreciate the sound of hoovering an hour earlier. Some people are early birds and dome are night owls so where possible it makes sense to keep your noise between nine and seven.

Groupie123 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:48:39

We do things when we can. Will often mow the lawn between 8-9pm, hoover at 5am or midnight depending on time, and washing machine gets switched on whenever we remember. Everybody around us is similar.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Thu 01-Jun-17 16:44:20

I vac the house (10 min job) at 7:30 ish in the morning on a weekday because that's the only real time I get to do it. I don't do it on the weekend though. My neighbours are either at work already and the other side are up with their kids so it's not a problem here even with paper thin walls. If your cat woke them up then they probably thought you was up any way.

amusedbush Thu 01-Jun-17 16:35:45

But then I have been flamed on a certain thread, defending a OP who was terribly 'bad-mannered' in sitting outside until 1030pm, on a friday evening, in her own garden, drinking and talking with 4 friends.....

Consensus was, it shouldn't be allowed grin

I didn't see that thread but that would annoy the fuck out of me. My neighbours congregate under my window to have a fag and a chat, and the hum of their voices outside drives me mad. They do it at 10 or 11pm in the summer, and DH and I joke but it's totally not a joke that the only good thing about winter is how it keeps them indoors.

KittiKat Thu 01-Jun-17 16:28:14

grin This thread has made it to the Daily Fail!

Coddiwomple Thu 01-Jun-17 16:25:09

If anyone is playing MN Bingo, this thread is now in the DM.

Must be a really slow news day! (actually, it's not, but the DM has priorities!)

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:22:33

When i worked nights 15 years ago i would finish at 3 am and be in bed by about 4.45 am.

I used to sleep quite soundly..................mainly because sex talk to dickheads on the phone can be mentally exhausting grin

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 16:22:00

'Also I put the dishwasher on before I go to bed too.. would that be loud? '

Some dishwashers are very quiet, but, any firefighter will tell you please not to do this. Never put on a dishwasher, washing machine or dryer whilst you are sleeping.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:19:28

YABU. I don't know if your neighbours are doing it in revenge, but I absolutely would if someone's animal woke me up so early.

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:19:18

I did point out to her that it wasnt fair on the other neighbours expat.

But i think by then she was desperate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »