Talk

Advanced search

Downstairs neighbours hoovering at 7.30am

(78 Posts)
user1490817986 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:58:30

Neighbours downstairs who are lovely have just woken me up at 7.30am with their hoovering. I was watching a film in bed at 10.30pm one night and she started hoovering. Also put the washing machine on at midnight sometimes, and it sounds like a fucking helicopter.

I don't know if this is passive agressive behaviour, because sometimes my cat is a bastard and runs/scuttles/meows along my bedroom floor to harass me for breakfast. The floor is laminate but I can't afford to put carpet down.

He did it once this morning (he hasn't done it for a few weeks) at around 6.20am, so i'm wondering if they are being passive aggressive with the hoovering at 7.30am.

I'm always considerate of them and I won't hoover in the evenings because one of them works shifts but I'm not sure when/times etc.

AIBU to think they are being dicks to hoover at 7.30am?

Frankie89 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:59:45

Yeah that's a dick move but your might be right that it's a revenge move too. Could you maybe put down rugs if your can't carpet? Might take the edge off.

Minniemagoo Thu 01-Jun-17 08:04:08

So your 'lovely' neighbours heard noises at 6.20, which possibly woke them they then probably thought you were up so assumed since they were too it was ok to start their day.
Yes possibly a bit PA of them but sounds like you reap what you sow.
Rugs are cheaper than replacing a whole floor.

cariadlet Thu 01-Jun-17 08:04:46

I wouldn't expect anyone to be hoovering that early on a Sunday morning, but can't see a problem with hoovering at 7.30 in the week unless you know your neighbour is doing shift work and would be in bed at that time.

Surely most people are up and about by then anyway.

Trills Thu 01-Jun-17 08:05:26

You just said the neighbours are "lovely", so why do you jump to thinking that they are being passive-aggressive rather than that they just don't realise how loud it is?

My last flat was a house that had been divided in two - either my downstairs neighbour never once hoovered when I was in, or I just couldn't hear it. So I would assume that someone living above me would not be bothered by hoovering.

user1491401693 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:05:33

7.30 on a weekday sounds fine to me. And your cat had already woken you at 6.20.

And I should imagine living under a laminate floored flat is horrid.

OhTheRoses Thu 01-Jun-17 08:09:20

YABU. What on earth is the problem? Perhaps they are fitting it around work. Noise is part of flat life. I was once asked to refrain from putting stuff in the bins esrly morning or late at night. And opening and closing my front door before 7 and after 10. I was leaving and returning to my home. I really was not and am not a noisy person.

Leonardo44 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:09:56

If you have no idea when they work, why would not hoovering in the evenings be considerate? I live in a flat and never hear the neighbours downstairs hoover or their washing machine. Maybe they just don't realise it's affecting you. Talk to them.

Looneytune253 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:14:27

What!!! I wouldn't think twice of hoovering in the morning before I start work?!? Did so this morning. 7.30 is not ridiculously early. Most ppl are getting on with their day. Tbh it sounds like the noise is worse from you guys. Obv you can't help it but why should they not get on with their day when there's already been considerable noise from your flat?

FathomsDeepAndFallingFurther Thu 01-Jun-17 08:14:32

As others have said, I think hoovering at 7.30am and 10.30pm is fine. Presumably they have to fit it in around work? It's a normal household noise, as is the washing machine. They are not playing loud music or anything.

If your cat routinely wakes you at 6.20, it's not unreasonable of them to assume that you're up at that time anyway.

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 08:14:35

Not on to put washing machine on at midnight, but hoovering at 7.30am is acceptable. Bet it's hell to live under you. Get some rugs.

Cuppaoftea Thu 01-Jun-17 08:14:43

Nothing wrong with hoovering at 7.30am. Doesn't sound passive aggressive to me, more like they're fitting hoovering and doing the laundry round work shifts.

Sofabitch Thu 01-Jun-17 08:18:34

Wooden floors in upstairs flats are awful.

I bet you make way more noise than they do.

But 11-7pm I'd try to avoid anything super noisy but sometimes you can't avoid it. For example if my kid throws up everywhere. Im putting the washing on and hoovering thwt floor regardless of the time

caffeinestream Thu 01-Jun-17 08:18:55

Are you sure there's nothing in your contract/lease about needing carpeted floors? Lots of upper floor flats don't allow laminate because of the noise issue.

Anyway, if I was woken by a cat charging around at 6am, I would assume you were awake and I could get on with my day. And cats are noisy buggers - we had two in a flat once and they sounded like a herd of elephants charging around - luckily we had offices below us so nobody to disturb at 6am or midnight!

Put some rugs down or cheap off cuts of carpet if you can't afford to do it properly.

Toysaurus Thu 01-Jun-17 08:19:19

Living below laminate floor in a flat is awful. I bet you make more noise generally than a hoover at 7.30am which is not awfully early.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Thu 01-Jun-17 08:20:03

YABU. What is wrong with hoovering then? It's hardly the middle of the night.

How is it passive-aggressive to hoover, for heaven's sake?! 😂

c3pu Thu 01-Jun-17 08:21:31

I used to run my washing machine overnight all the time when I lived in a flat, because it was on economy 7 electric.

SaucyJack Thu 01-Jun-17 08:22:14

I think it's fine too, TBH.

It's normal household noise during normal waking hours on a weekday. You just need to put up with the sounds of other people going about daily life when you live in a flat.

Howdoichangethis Thu 01-Jun-17 08:22:36

Our neighbours vacuum their whole house every day at 6.30am. Doesn't bother us - DTD1 is up at 5am anyway and it must be at least 5 years since DH and I woke up after 6am. It's good to get up in the morning!

Starlighter Thu 01-Jun-17 08:26:10

I think it's rude to hoover that early or late. It's basic manners.

But then, I hate unnecessary noise, and I would live in a detached house with lots of land and no neighbours if I could!

OpheliaHamlet Thu 01-Jun-17 08:29:51

If it's quite out of character - perhaps they dropped something? When I used to live in flats, we were ever so careful with doing laundry/hoovering/etc. But if you break a glass or drop something like flour - you're hardly going to leave it sat on the floor for several hours.

thelonelyscriptures Thu 01-Jun-17 08:31:03

YABVU

Notso Thu 01-Jun-17 08:33:14

Buy some rugs. B&M have had some for £1 in the sale recently.

DH hoovered at 10 last night after he spilled sand all over the kitchen floor.

ElspethFlashman Thu 01-Jun-17 08:33:22

Omg get a rug!!!

Even a few of those rubber backed front door mats that cost fuck all.

It's ridiculous to allow your cat to make noise when there's a cheap solution.

And I wouldn't say 7.30 was too early. But then I'm up early always.

innagazing Thu 01-Jun-17 08:34:52

Hoovering at 7.30 is unreasonable, and there's many people that don't have to wake up at 7.30am. However you are very unreasonable for not having wall to wall carpetting wit ha good quality underlay on your floors, assuming that your lease says you should. It's standard to have in the lease in these situations, so you probably have.

GlitterGlue Thu 01-Jun-17 08:38:03

During the week 7:30am isn't early. Surely most people, especially those with children, are up by then?

rhinorocks Thu 01-Jun-17 08:46:33

Hoovering at 7.30 am is fine.

silentpool Thu 01-Jun-17 08:46:39

We recently lived in a ground floor flat and it sounded as though we were living beneath a herd of elephants. I could hear every move they made. But such is life, living with near neighbours. It did mean, I didn't tiptoe around either.

ptumbi Thu 01-Jun-17 08:49:54

I think it's rude to hoover that early or late. It's basic manners - I am usually leaving for work at 730! It's not 'manners' - it's the start of the day. I personally wouldn't hoover at 730, but only because I don't have time.
Most builders start work at 8am, but they are setting up and getting ready at 730. That can be noisy.

But then I have been flamed on a certain thread, defending a OP who was terribly 'bad-mannered' in sitting outside until 1030pm, on a friday evening, in her own garden, drinking and talking with 4 friends.....
Consensus was, it shouldn't be allowed grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 01-Jun-17 08:50:39

Our neighbour has floorboards and we can always hear her moving around. I've got used to it though. We're ground floor and have laminate or tiling throughout and it wouldn't surprise me if she can hear our cat even though she's upstairs! The leases are identical though (and old) and don't mention anything about carpet.

namechange20050 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:53:56

Your flat lease will have a clause in it about acceptable hours during which to make noise. Have a look at it.

user1490817986 Thu 01-Jun-17 09:01:13

Thank you all. The flat already had the wood floor when I moved in, I'm going to try and save for some carpet. The floors are concrete though so I'm hoping it's not as bad as most new build flats.

AwaywiththePixies27 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:40:30

7:30 is fine.

I've been awake a good couple of hours by then.

10:30pm at night is pushing it though.

AwaywiththePixies27 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:41:30

GlitterGlue it's half way through the day for me! grin

In fairness I don't sleep very well and my son always gets up at the crack of a sparrows fart too.

RubbishG3nericUsername Thu 01-Jun-17 13:44:09

I've already left the house by 7.30am on a weekday! It's a bit of hoovering, get over yourself. YABU.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 01-Jun-17 13:51:41

YABU it's normal household noise and your cat makes more noise at more unreasonable times

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 01-Jun-17 14:55:45

Maybe they had their landlord inspection that day so as a one off hoovered in the morning.

Washing machine - as someone else said - probably on economy 7 so that is when you are supposed to do your household chores.

Its made worse because you have a floor covering that doesn't deaden it.

Maybe (as they are lovely) just mention it disturbed you and ask was it a one off? They might not realise but if you tell them then they will know.

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Thu 01-Jun-17 15:04:40

Your cat wakes them up at stupid oclock and you complain that they make noise over an hour later?

robinsongyal Thu 01-Jun-17 15:11:41

I have lived in flats for the past 3 years and can safely say that laminate flooring is VERY noisy..the guy above has it so we hear him aaaal the time but we aren't going to stop him living his life just because we live below him. YABU, put down a rug and accept that the people below you are going to make abit of noise from time to time!

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 15:26:44

I was woken up at 8am on Tuesday morning by a bloody wood chipper outside my bedroom window.

ohgoshIdontknow Thu 01-Jun-17 15:30:14

Why aren't you up at 7.30am on a weekday? It's not early at all! Genuine question - I would think only babies/teenagers/OAPs are still asleep at that time!

GimbleInTheWabe Thu 01-Jun-17 15:32:56

Oh no I wonder if I'm like your annoying neighbour...
Sometimes my cat will leave huge fluff balls on the bed from his fur so I'll Hoover it up before I get in to bed (which is when I notice it) but I try to be as quick as I can. Also I put the dishwasher on before I go to bed too.. would that be loud? I'm in the middle floor of a 3 storey building.

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Thu 01-Jun-17 15:49:40

Why aren't you up at 7.30am on a weekday? It's not early at all! Genuine question - I would think only babies/teenagers/OAPs are still asleep at that time!

Why shouldn't she be? I'm usually still asleep at that time and I am none of the things listed.

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 15:58:36

My neighbour does night shifts and goes to bed at 6.30 AM. He was over the moon about the wood chipper noise obvs.

Back in the 90s my neighbour got her own back over someone that woke her up while working night shifts. She waited until 3am then stood outside his house blasting him with Bon Jovi.

When he leaned out of the window and had a go at her she replied " if i cant sleep at night then why should you. " He stopped the 7.30 am drilling after that. She had already reasonably asked him several times if he could start a little later in the morning so she could sleep after a night shift He laughed at her.

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:02:39

"GlitterGlue Thu 01-Jun-17 08:38:03
During the week 7:30am isn't early. Surely most people, especially those with children, are up by then?"

If your kids got ill and had to be taken to hospital in the middle of the night would you want them to be treated by an A and E nurse who had been kept awake early in the morning because of others inconsideration. Would you sue if she made a mistake due to being tired.

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 16:11:33

I've worked nights and lived in flats. It's unreasonable to expect the rest of the world to curtail daytime noise at acceptable hours (most councils use 7am-11pm as acceptable) because I worked nights. I used earplugs and white noise.

PhuqIt Thu 01-Jun-17 16:14:05

Your cat would drive me insane OP. You can't complain about them hoovering at 7.30 when there is a racket coming from your flat at 6.30!

PhuqIt Thu 01-Jun-17 16:15:10

An A&E nurse wouldnt be home and in bed by 7.30! 😂 Chance would be a fine thing!

nannybeach Thu 01-Jun-17 16:15:14

Are you sure they are "hoovering" they may have a Dyson, in which case they would be vacuuming, "hoovering" is not a verb its a manufacturer of vacuums!

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 16:15:26

The guy next door works as a baker. He's not overly noisy at all, but I can hear him when he gets up at 2.30am for work because the walls are like fag paper. That's my problem, not his.

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 16:16:36

'Back in the 90s my neighbour got her own back over someone that woke her up while working night shifts. She waited until 3am then stood outside his house blasting him with Bon Jovi. '

I'd have called the police on her. I'm sure her other neighbours were so pleased to be woken by that.

qwertyberty Thu 01-Jun-17 16:16:39

personally speaking, I was brought up that no excessive noise before 9am or after 9pm. I still try to do this and make sure that I don't use washing machine or vacuum cleaner between 9pm and 9am. Even flushing the toilet was not allowed. However, I will play 'tit for tat' with neighbours. So if they come home at some ungodly hour and stomp up their stairs (I live in a ground floor flat) and make a lot of noise for a long period of time, I will put washer on at 7 or 8am. I try not to but it depends whether their noise is a one off or if it continues for days.
The other thing is that previous tenants had laminate flooring and used to walk on in heels all time s of day and night. All I can advise (which you may have already considered) is cheap rugs or maybe saving for carpet, with thick underlay. This may also block noise from down stairs. Have a word with you neighbour and try and reason with them, unfortunately this could make things worse. Good luck.

Kursk Thu 01-Jun-17 16:17:18

We are normally up and about at 6am, doing stuff around the house before work. We will do stuff around the house until 8pm

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:19:18

I did point out to her that it wasnt fair on the other neighbours expat.

But i think by then she was desperate.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:19:28

YABU. I don't know if your neighbours are doing it in revenge, but I absolutely would if someone's animal woke me up so early.

expatinscotland Thu 01-Jun-17 16:22:00

'Also I put the dishwasher on before I go to bed too.. would that be loud? '

Some dishwashers are very quiet, but, any firefighter will tell you please not to do this. Never put on a dishwasher, washing machine or dryer whilst you are sleeping.

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:22:33

When i worked nights 15 years ago i would finish at 3 am and be in bed by about 4.45 am.

I used to sleep quite soundly..................mainly because sex talk to dickheads on the phone can be mentally exhausting grin

Coddiwomple Thu 01-Jun-17 16:25:09

If anyone is playing MN Bingo, this thread is now in the DM.

Must be a really slow news day! (actually, it's not, but the DM has priorities!)

KittiKat Thu 01-Jun-17 16:28:14

grin This thread has made it to the Daily Fail!

amusedbush Thu 01-Jun-17 16:35:45

But then I have been flamed on a certain thread, defending a OP who was terribly 'bad-mannered' in sitting outside until 1030pm, on a friday evening, in her own garden, drinking and talking with 4 friends.....

Consensus was, it shouldn't be allowed grin

I didn't see that thread but that would annoy the fuck out of me. My neighbours congregate under my window to have a fag and a chat, and the hum of their voices outside drives me mad. They do it at 10 or 11pm in the summer, and DH and I joke but it's totally not a joke that the only good thing about winter is how it keeps them indoors.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Thu 01-Jun-17 16:44:20

I vac the house (10 min job) at 7:30 ish in the morning on a weekday because that's the only real time I get to do it. I don't do it on the weekend though. My neighbours are either at work already and the other side are up with their kids so it's not a problem here even with paper thin walls. If your cat woke them up then they probably thought you was up any way.

Groupie123 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:48:39

We do things when we can. Will often mow the lawn between 8-9pm, hoover at 5am or midnight depending on time, and washing machine gets switched on whenever we remember. Everybody around us is similar.

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:51:15

If its my day off I will still be asleep at eight thirty so wouldn't appreciate the sound of hoovering an hour earlier. Some people are early birds and dome are night owls so where possible it makes sense to keep your noise between nine and seven.

HelenaDove Thu 01-Jun-17 16:55:27

Elite Tree Services Can you please start your wood chippers a bit later than 8am Ta.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 01-Jun-17 16:57:05

I think it's more they don't realise the noise that travels down .. I often put a wash on before I go bed . It's pretty standard in this house . I Hoover as an when I can fit it in .. saying that . I've got no-one below me x

Mummmy2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:01:22

DM have been reading your post, your in the news.

FuzzyPillow Thu 01-Jun-17 17:45:44

I used to live in a flat with shitty soundproofing and would sometimes put the washing machine & shower at 11:30pm...... I had DC in NICU and lived in the hospital with DC 18+ hours a day. I'm afraid DC was a priority so the neighbours had to suck it up. It's unfortunate I had to do it, but I have no regrets, especially as the neighbours turned out to be utter cunts weekly threatening letters from them in legalese

So there may be another side to this story. Though I acknowledge there probably isn't here.

AwaywiththePixies27 Thu 01-Jun-17 22:50:18

Slow news day in the daily mail then! grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4561790/Is-housework-anti-social.html

I was on that thread, you forgot the two parties 'gatherings' in short succession complete with music.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Fri 02-Jun-17 01:05:00

OP,
Nothing useful to add re early hoovering, but you can minimise the potential reason for them doing it:
Invest in one of those timer automatic cat feeders, set for 6am?

That way your cat will help himself; won't need to make a row by running around in order to wake you up for food/ disturbing the neighbours..
I've wangled an extra hour of peace that way. Hooray.

(Though no guarantee he won't still do it after eating, just to get your attention...cats, eh?).

ThaliaLuxurySpa Fri 02-Jun-17 01:16:02

Fuzzy,

Really hope your DC was helped by NICU.

Must have been an incredibly worrying time for you.

Any neighbour aware of that type of serious situation, yet still not showing understanding about unavoidable noise, is bloody heartless angry

user1480459555 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:31:37

I am surprised so many people think it is ok to hoover so early.

I am up at around 6am most days but would never dream of hoovering at that time. I think 9am is a more acceptable time.

I know quite a few people who do not get up early for various reasons and think it would be unfair if they were woken by someone who can't put off hoovering until later in the day

AwaywiththePixies27 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:14:46

7:30am isn't early user.

On a Sunday, yes maybe, on a weekday when people have a day to be getting on with. Not at all.

Coddiwomple Fri 02-Jun-17 17:40:39

Even on a weekday, my kids are still asleep at half seven when they are tired. They don't start school until 9am, they don't need to be up at 6.
7:30 is ridiculously early to make noise. I have seen a couple of lease where it was explicitly forbidden to make such noise at ridiculous hours. Not much you can do to apply the rules unfortunately.

It is however perfectly acceptable to make noise if you have been kept awake or awaken by the neighbours. Sometimes it works and they do stop making noise at unsociable hours eventually.

AwaywiththePixies27 Fri 02-Jun-17 17:58:02

^They don't start school until 9am, they don't need to be up at 6.
7:30 is ridiculously early to make noise^

That's your DCs. Many parents have to get their children into breakfast club because they start work at 9am.

The last job I had I had to be in the office for 8:15am.

All the people around me work nights and leave at 6am for early shifts.

It's called life.

LiveLongAndProspero Fri 02-Jun-17 18:00:20

It's called your life. It's not everyones!

user1480459555 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:21:43

7.30am is early and whilst a lot of people are up by that time, many are not.

Just because someone is up early does not make it right if they start hovering or making other noise.

As I said, I am up early even at weekends and I know my next door neighbour is usually up early but I still don't hoover until after 9am. It's just respectful.

Quite a few of my friends and family don't get up until 8.30am even ones that work.

Daftmare Fri 02-Jun-17 21:35:44

Well by that criteria i.e. not hoovering before every single person in the land is up, and not hoovering at night, a lot of us would only be doing it at the weekend. I think people have got to realise that if they don't have to get up till 8.30 then that's a bit of a luxury.

tinytemper66 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:56:48

This why I am always grateful to live in a detached property....vacuum, put appliances on and have a noisy cat without disturbing others. Plus I am up at 6 in term time. My husband is a shift worker and I do not clean when he has been nights. However, I cannot stop the neighbours from mowing their lawns during the day if he is asleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »