Talk

Advanced search

Colleagues spraying themselves with deodorant at their desk?

(34 Posts)
maggiethecat Wed 31-May-17 23:40:40

Cannot work out why people think it's ok to freshen themselves up by covering themselves and nearby colleagues in a cloud of aerosol leaving you gasping for air?

Is it just me?

Ravenblack Wed 31-May-17 23:41:34

YANBU.

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 23:42:57

I have asthma. This would make me really rather unwell. Perhaps shave your pits at your desk. Who doesn't feel fresher with hair free pits? See if they think that's acceptable?!

Snotgobbler99 Wed 31-May-17 23:56:12

Ditto Wolfie.

I'd rather deal with someone who honks a bit of BO than have to breathe in deodorant. Manmade aromas/scents set me off instantly.

I once had to take myself to the local A&E for treatment after some moron in the bus seat in front of me sprayed herself with perfume...

Notcontent Thu 01-Jun-17 00:05:57

YANBU

Unfortunately some people never consider how their actions affect other people. I think it's something of an epidemic in society....

FreeNiki Thu 01-Jun-17 00:09:12

When did everyone get so lax?

I'd sooner die than anyone see me do that esoecially work colleagues. I have taken deoderant to work but if I need to freshen up I go to the bathroom to use.

MrsWhirly Thu 01-Jun-17 00:18:41

My boss nips off for 15 or so fag breaks a day, each followed by her spraying a bottle of perfume over herself at her desk. When I was pregnant it used to make me violently vomit.

SapphireSeptember Thu 01-Jun-17 00:19:22

I always thought any sort of freshening up should be done in the toilets. hmm Spraying stuff all over the place is yucky.

chewingawasp Thu 01-Jun-17 00:36:11

I had an asthma attack and had to go outside for fresh air after a colleague sprayed strong perfume near me. After that the spraying of perfume/deodorant at your desk was banned.

BoldKitties Thu 01-Jun-17 00:55:41

Oh, the choking on some cheap nasty body spray. Yup, I have had that in every office I've worked in. It's horrible. Can't understand why anyone thinks acceptable. My current office (though I'm off sick atm) is always sweltering as the boss is always cold, so the heat is always on full. It gets so hot it makes me feel sick. Then when a colleague blasts her deodorant... Urgh. It's a hot, stinky torture chamber that makes me cough and choke. Awful!

Trifleorbust Thu 01-Jun-17 03:14:38

No, that is for the bathroom. YANBU.

VelvetSpoon Thu 01-Jun-17 06:50:21

In our office there are signs in all the loos saying that you can't use any kind of aerosol spray in there as it sets off the fire alarms. Hence people are often spraying at their desks, as there's not much alternative!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Thu 01-Jun-17 06:51:38

Yanbu
Why don't they do this in the bathroom?

Mothervulva Thu 01-Jun-17 07:17:24

YANBU

Could you something?

MaisyPops Thu 01-Jun-17 07:19:28

Not ideal and clouds of it are awful.
But I have done a quick mini spray at lunch in my class room with the windows open.

A small subtle touch up I can see if the toilets say no aerosols. Spraying clouds of deodorant or perfume is not ok.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Thu 01-Jun-17 07:21:22

What? God people are the worst. I had to use some dry shampoo the other day and I did it in the bathroom and I was still worrying it would irritate anyone who came in after. Is there any way round that?

aaaaargghhhhelpme Thu 01-Jun-17 07:24:42

I used to work with someone who cycled in and instead of having a shower (we had swish office showers) asked my friend to borrow her perfume to spray.

Then...she started chatting about not shaving her armpits but said once she'd got a fungus and had to shave it all off and start again

My friend had to wait until she left the room to explode

StickThatInYourPipe Thu 01-Jun-17 07:24:56

Ah it doesn't bother me at work.... because it is banned as it should be grin

Pollydonia Thu 01-Jun-17 07:28:05

No, you nip off to the loo for that , surely?

TheNaze73 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:47:29

It's inconsiderate but, not as inconsiderate as some of the people on the tube on a hot day. I wish they would spray.

Roomba Thu 01-Jun-17 07:53:17

Could be worse, I worked with a woman who changed her incontinence pads at her desk and just put them in the wastepaper bin! She did get fired for that eventually though.

YANBU though. Lots of people with asthma or other chemical sensitivities would really suffer with this. This should be confined to the toilets.

MaisyPops Thu 01-Jun-17 07:58:26

Agreed it should be in the toilets.
The only reason I occasionally do a little stealth spray in my room is because the staff toilets are across site (school) in the opposite direction of my break duty, i have non fragrenced anti perspirant and I can stand next to an open window and it's gone in a minute (and the room will be empty for 10 mins for break). I say that being asthmatic.

I would never do it if anyone is in the room and clouds are always unacceptable.

IdaDown Thu 01-Jun-17 08:25:23

Roomba [shocked]

Makes the mystery lady armpit shaver (sink non rinser) pale in comparison.

TestTubeTeen Thu 01-Jun-17 08:35:17

I would immediately tell my staff not to do that!

Do you not protest? Just ask them to do it outside.

Looneytune253 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:58:24

I would hate that. I think I am being unreasonable but I was annoyed at someone for spraying loads of deodorant at the swimming pool the other day. Almost gave me an asthma attack. Why do they have to spray so much and the ones that taste so powdery too. Really gets to my lungs. No consideration for others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now