Talk

Advanced search

To wish people on Facebook would say it to your face?

(37 Posts)
Lexieblue Wed 31-May-17 23:39:55

Is it just me or does anyone else find the whole thinly veiled digs at people on social media really childish and irritating? Most of the time it's obvious who it's directed at so also really pointless!

Currently have two friends of mine in some kind of social media war, posting statuses/picture quotes back and forth & it's driving me nuts!

Yes, I know, I can just come off it (and do!) But just wish they'd just have it out in private instead of broadcasting it :/ or AIBU?

TreeTop7 Wed 31-May-17 23:44:04

My ex husband's sibling was like this. It can be entertaining but is usually very tiresome.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 31-May-17 23:45:23

I have over 1800 contacts on FB and nobody does this confused

You must know some odd people grin

BandeauSally Wed 31-May-17 23:46:27

You should post your OP as your FB status grin

Lexieblue Wed 31-May-17 23:49:03

That's probably true livia 😂

Yeah I would but then I'd be guilty of the same thing! Maybe I should just post petulant 1 and petulant 2 sort it out!

ScarlettFreestone Wed 31-May-17 23:51:20

I have to say Lexie that I'd be inclined to drop any friends of mine that behaved quite that badly in public.

None of my Fb friends behave that way, although one of my DH's distant cousins has a penchant for cryptic statuses which we, (and her friends as far as we can see) ignore.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Wed 31-May-17 23:53:58

Just stop following them. No need to defriend, just unfollow so you won't see their posts anymore.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 31-May-17 23:54:32

Ooorrrrrr..... just message each one and say 'I can't believe that x said that you were a complete twat - I just thought you ought to know' grin

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 31-May-17 23:58:17

I'm not on Facebook but I'll put my tuppence worth in anyway.
YANBU. At all. Yes you can come off it, but Why should you because of obnoxious cunts.
Even with comments on here. I never post anything that I wouldn't say in RL.

Lexieblue Wed 31-May-17 23:58:34

I didn't know I could unfollow...thank you!

They're good people usually, in real life, I don't really get the whole personality transplant some people seem to go under online.

And I am also probably being a bit grumpy

maddiemookins16mum Thu 01-Jun-17 00:00:35

It's called Fakebook for a reason.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Jun-17 00:01:05

Unfollowing is a good idea - my feed is now full of posts about cats and Game of Thrones grin

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Thu 01-Jun-17 00:02:58

I have a friend who is annoyed by someone on a daily basis. I'm starting to wonder if its herselfgrin

WorraLiberty Thu 01-Jun-17 00:04:18

My turn to be grumpy now blush

Why do SO many people on Facebook not know they can unfollow and do various other things with their settings?

This is by no means directed just at you OP, but time and again MNetters have no clue.

Yet often they'll have kids using social media, and often for the first time.

How can they check their settings are tight if they don't really know how their own settings work?

I think we all need a workshop or intervention of some sort grin

Lexieblue Thu 01-Jun-17 00:10:10

Worra I think you're right I suppose I've never really thought about settings for friends, although have everything on private. Mine are too young for social media yet, bit definitely need to be more clued up before they do.

We used to phone our mates from phone boxes wistful sigh

Gingernaut Thu 01-Jun-17 00:22:38

Here's a question.

If I unfollow a friend, does that mean I don't see anything she posts?

Coz, if she actually posted something she needed me to see, how would that work?

Relevant, because I'm being driven nuts by one very prolific 'liker' and 'sharer'.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Jun-17 00:23:38

Yes if you unfollow then you don't see any of her stuff. I think if she tags you then you would see it

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 00:25:31

Gingernaut If you unfollow, you don't see anything they post.

Unless they tag you in it, in which case you'd see that because you were specifically tagged.

But if she wants you to see something, she'd either have to tag you in it, or she'd have to tell you she posted it so you could go to her page and look for it.

Gingernaut Thu 01-Jun-17 00:30:29

Aw shoot.

She runs an online business and out of loyalty to her customers, likes their Facebook pages, websites and blogs.

Dozens of likes and shares a day for the most random people and enterprises.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Jun-17 00:33:01

I had a MLM bot - my friend became one of their drones, cue lots of 'hun', #girlpower #strongmumma type hashtags. I was too scared to unfriend in case she hunted me down grin so I unfollowed

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 01-Jun-17 00:38:43

It couldn't work any other way really, Gingernaut, as how would Facebook know which posts of hers you wanted to see and which you didn't? grin

Gingernaut Thu 01-Jun-17 00:39:58

She's a programmer and advises on web page design and blog content etc.

I think I'd unfriend her if she became an MLM bot.

I've had everything from obscure Cornish coffee houses, fellow programmers, bridge and pontoon designers rolling up my timeline in the past 24 hours.

However, I was persuaded to join Faceache in order to keep in touch with her and a couple of friends and I don't want to miss relevant stuff.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Jun-17 00:40:08

Give it time... <dons tinfoil hat>

I was talking to someone about an exercise bike a few weeks ago (face to face) and the exact bike came up on my Facebook the next day shock

Gingernaut Thu 01-Jun-17 00:45:12

Faceache can't decide whether I need to look after my nonexistant grandchildren or whether I've given up on life.

I've had Tena Lady ads, an invitation to like a funeral director and multiple ads for Chicco, Tommy Tippee, Silver Cross, SMA, Nutramigen and Johnson & Johnson.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Jun-17 00:45:53

gringringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now