Talk

Advanced search

Taking photo of stranger without permission

(69 Posts)
WingsofNylon Wed 31-May-17 19:56:28

Totally inappropriate right? I'm on a train sitting opposite a passenger who I believe to be Dustin Hoffman. It is probably not but thats not the point. Friend has asked me to secretly take a pic for her. Do people do this?! She was surprised when I said no. AIBU to refuse?!

WorraLiberty Wed 31-May-17 19:58:13

You have to ask? The internet is full of photos of strangers for one reason or another.

Yes it's rude and intrusive.

Why doesn't your friend take the photo herself if she wants one that badly?

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 31-May-17 19:59:20

I assume the friend is not there?
It is intrusive yes.

WonderWhippet Wed 31-May-17 19:59:20

Hey? Of course people do it, all the time.

If you don't want to then don't, although if you change your mind please post it here so that we can all decide whether or not it is Mr H grin

Ta

Fightingthefire Wed 31-May-17 19:59:54

Post a photo or it didn't happen. grin

WingsofNylon Wed 31-May-17 20:04:01

Yes friend isn't here. I wish I had the balls to take and share the pic with you all but I don't. I'd feel so guilty.

Empireoftheclouds Wed 31-May-17 20:05:14

It's so easy to take a pic on your phone just hold it skightly up and make like you are reading something

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 31-May-17 20:05:32

Legal but creepy as fuck

PlayOnWurtz Wed 31-May-17 20:06:49

In a public space you're allowed to take photos of whomever you choose but with children it's groups of 3 or more and you don't need permission from parents under 3 you do.

SaucyJack Wed 31-May-17 20:08:29

I think it's less weird to take a pic of a stranger if it is actually Dustin Hoffman. I'm sure he's used to being photographed. You could always ask him?

TyneTeas Wed 31-May-17 20:08:52

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/04/photograph-strangers-train-tumblr

Interesting Guardian article about is it ever okay to

BillyButtfuck Wed 31-May-17 20:09:15

It's weird

WingsofNylon Wed 31-May-17 20:09:31

Oh! I didn't kknow that. Still feels wrong and creepy. Especially of someone's face.

PlayOnWurtz Wed 31-May-17 20:10:01

Morally it's dubious if it's ok. Legally its fine

WingsofNylon Wed 31-May-17 20:10:38

Now i really want to. Though becoming more sure that it isnt him.

scurryfunge Wed 31-May-17 20:11:18

PlayOn, where did you get that info? There's no such ruling.

WingsofNylon Wed 31-May-17 20:11:27

Fairly sure he is going to get up and move if I keep looking at him.

SandyDenny Wed 31-May-17 20:12:19

Playonwurtz - is that right about groups of children, I had to look the rules up for someone recently and I don't remember anything about any limits about group size or the age of the children, Where do did find that, I may have given someone the wrong information, I'm going to need to check into that

I was in a similar situation to you OP recently but didn't take the photo as I was worried about the camera sound on the phone smile

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 31-May-17 20:13:10

Weird. My friend once was at an airport (in the upper class lounge) with a man she thought was Dustin Hoffman. So she took a sneaky pic to send me and when she looked at the pic he'd obviously clocked her and was waving at her. It was Dustin Hoffman.

So he's probably used to it (if it is him!). But I wouldn't do it!

millifiori Wed 31-May-17 20:13:45

Difficult one. I took a photo of a stranger the other day. Normally wouldn't, but this man had a golden pyramid on his head, so I reckoned he was happily drawing attention to himself. But DS2 was disgusted at me, and really told me off for it. I've never done it before and probably won't again but I do now have a photo of a man with a pyramid on his head

PlayOnWurtz Wed 31-May-17 20:14:30

Years of doing street photography.

this website simplifies it

PlayOnWurtz Wed 31-May-17 20:15:48

It may have changed but it is what I was told years ago by my tutor. They were often wrong but it helps when standing your ground taking photos of children and you don't look as dodgy taking a group as a singleton

scurryfunge Wed 31-May-17 20:17:15

PlayOn, that's just advice, not law.

ChicRock Wed 31-May-17 20:17:16

True story - in London for work, there was a guy opposite me on the tube who was the double of Denzel Washington, he kept catching me looking at him, and when he caught me again as I was about to step off I said to him I was sorry for staring but he really looked like Denzel Washington. He smiled and said "yeah I get that all the time". It was him.

ChicRock Wed 31-May-17 20:18:45

To add - this was in the days when mobiles were the size of a house brick and didn't have cameras. I'd have sneaked a photo if I could.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now