Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask if you would give a 7 year old weekly pocket money and if so how much?

(126 Posts)
akdmummy Wed 31-May-17 19:41:50

My nearly 7 yo DD has recently wanted to have some of her own money to spend as she wants. For example at the school fair she preferred me to give her a bit of money and then went off and made her own mind up as to what she spent it on. She understood that once it was all gone that was it.

She's gone to her Grandma's for a few days and without me knowing has taken a few pounds from her piggy bank with her to spend.

WIBU to give pocket money at this age and if so what would a reasonable amount be? Do people attach rules to receiving the pocket money (ie in exchange for doing little jobs) or do they just give it whatever?

glenthebattleostrich Wed 31-May-17 19:43:48

DD gets £20 per month. She has to clean her room, load the dishwasher and generally help with tidying.

She is very good and normally saves at least half of it, at the minute for holiday spending money.

EastMidsMummy Wed 31-May-17 19:44:30

At 7, I would give £3 - 5.

d270r0 Wed 31-May-17 19:46:37

My 5 year old gets £5 a month. (Always forget to give it when its weekly)

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Wed 31-May-17 19:46:55

My just turned 8 year old has £2.50 a week for basic chores - tidy bedroom daily and Hoover it twice a week , lay and clear table etc
Can earn more for other tasks - cleaning car, bringing in and folding washing etc.
Uses the money for things she wants that I wouldn't normally buy - sweets, comics, small toys etc and has also saved up for some bigger things. Works for us

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 31-May-17 19:47:44

£2 a week here. Usually gets rounded up to a tenner a month tbh

NapQueen Wed 31-May-17 19:48:43

Surely she can take her own piggy bank money without permission?

Dd is 5 and gets 1 pound a week. By seven Id say 2 quid 2.50 ish

cheminotte Wed 31-May-17 19:51:57

I'm afraid I'm a lot less generous and give 70p per week to my 7 year old and 90p to my 9 year old. They really don't have much opportunity to spend money though so it's as much about recognising the coins as anything. At a fete / fair I will happily let ds1 have a fiver / tenner to spend as he chooses. Once ds1 is old enough to take himself to the shops he can have more. I don't link to chores at all though.

CheeseCrackersAndWine Wed 31-May-17 19:53:34

My 8 year old gets £3 a week and has to help with small requests as and when asked (seriously minimal-like grab me a nappy, bibs etc or whatever else I manage to forget for the baby!) She loses some for bad behaviour, usually back chat and can earn more by doing extra chores now & again. I think the most she has had is £3.50 but it's usually around the £3 per week. She sometime spends it that week, sometimes saves up for something in particular.

early30smum Wed 31-May-17 19:54:25

8 yr old here gets £2 a week but I always forget so end up owing her ££! On holiday we give her a set amount for the holiday to buy souvenirs/postcards/ice creams if not part of a meal/goes on rides/amusements etc.

Disappointednomore Wed 31-May-17 19:55:27

I've just started giving my 7 year old £5 a week. I felt that she would just ask me for stuff without thinking about the value of money and this makes her think about it a bit more. She had wanted a toy from the supermarket that was £10 and I out and out refused. I started the pocket money that week and she saved it until she had the second week's money and we went together and bought the toy. I was so proud of her and told her so. She was ecstatic. Since then she's spent it pretty much immediately but she knows that when it's gone it's gone so I'd say overall I save money.

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 31-May-17 19:56:10

Dd is 7 and our rule is 50p per year of her age, so she gets £3.50 per week.

She spends it on toys from whichever cheap shops we go into, but sometimes she saves up for something more expensive. She's just bought a new scooter, which took 5 weeks to save for.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Wed 31-May-17 19:56:23

Thanks for this thread OP. I have a 6 and 4 year old and have been thinking about giving the 6 year old pocket money in return for chores. Have a desperate desire for a tidier house so wondering if I can link it to tidying / decluttering in some way. She will buy clutter with it though grin.

gamerwidow Wed 31-May-17 19:57:26

Dd(7) gets £2.50 per week and has the chance to earn 20p a chore for doing jobs around the house like putting the laundry away or tidying her room etc.

Disappointednomore Wed 31-May-17 19:58:52

MsAwesome 5 weeks! Good for her that is indeed awesome! smile

ShesAStar Wed 31-May-17 20:00:16

My 5 and 8 year olds get £5 per week. I was going to give them less but I realised this is how much they need to get a magazine and bag of sweets.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Wed 31-May-17 20:00:21

Oh I like that gamer. 20p for a chore sounds perfect.

bluemarble Wed 31-May-17 20:05:17

Gosh you are all very generous. I started pocket money for DS1 when he was 7, he got 50p a week. He now gets £1 a week at 8. He is very good at saving it up for things that he wants and can earn more for 'big' chores (like washing the car etc). Normal chores (putting laundry away, clearing table, laying table, emptying dishwasher etc) are expected regardless of pocket money. If he read this thread he would consider himself very hard done by grin

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Wed 31-May-17 20:24:51

Mine gets £2.50 a week, paid every 4 weeks because I rarely have change

RitaMills Wed 31-May-17 20:33:03

My 7 year old DS gets £10 per week from me, he is sanctioned 50p a time if he doesn't complete his small daily chores (tidy room at the end of the day, put his dirty clothes in washing basket etc). He also gets £5 per week off of my mum. He puts half away for his holiday spends and the rest he saves for Nerff guns, fidget spinners and little things like that.

allowlsthinkalot Wed 31-May-17 20:40:43

My 7 and 9 year ds get £3 a week. But it's not actually that generous because they have to buy all bits and bobs - magazines, pound shop treats, souvenirs if we go any, rides if we go to a fair, money if we go to the school fair etc...I suspect that those of you giving 50p are topping it up because it wouldn't pay for a cupcake or a turn on the bouncy castle.

cheminotte Wed 31-May-17 21:07:39

Yes I'm happy to give a specific amount for a specific occasion but not so keen on general frittering away of money. Like a PP I expect general helping out around the house for free as a member of the family.

mynotsoperfectlife Wed 31-May-17 21:08:41

About £3-5 at 7, I'd say.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 31-May-17 23:11:13

I don't believe in pocket money for chores, not at all. Chores are something my kids have to do, no negotiations.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 31-May-17 23:12:47

.... Extra money for extra jobs is different though. Car washing or similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now