Talk

Advanced search

Selling on Gumtree

(7 Posts)
moutonfou Wed 31-May-17 10:57:02

I've advertised something on Gumtree and now they want to come round to my house to look at it. Which I guess I should have expected! But it's making me a bit uncomfortable. Not for my safety as DH will be there, but couldn't burglars easily use it as a way to check out what's in a house, what locks there are, where the rooms are, etc etc.? AIBU to not want them to come to my house?

Has anybody else sold on Gumtree and what did you do?

kel1234 Wed 31-May-17 10:59:40

I've sold a few things. Mostly things that don't require the person to come in though. Once someone did come in, I thought nothing of it really. We were just in our living room.

Cocklodger Wed 31-May-17 11:01:03

Do you have a hallway you can put it in??? Shut other doors etc.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 31-May-17 11:01:12

How else did you think someone would see it?

19lottie82 Wed 31-May-17 11:02:55

Someone coming to your house is pretty much how gumtree works I'm afraid. If you're not comfortable with it fair enough, but you're better looking for another selling platform...... ebay, maybe?

corlan Wed 31-May-17 11:04:17

I've had people come to my house to look at and buy things. Never had any problems.
Perhaps if the item you're selling is not too big, you could leave it in your hall so that they don't come far into your house?

migrating Wed 31-May-17 11:07:46

the whole point of gumtree is to avoid the faff of sending items and to only get cash, which avoid other problems.

I only saw people on my doorstep, never let them in, but that's a risk you take. At least if you sell on ebay, or facebook depending on you area, people are registered and you can check if they have been active on the sites for awhile.

Of course burglars can use gumtree to check your house, but it depends what you are selling, and they don't have to come in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now