Talk

Advanced search

Help me find something to do with the children today please (Carmarthenshire )

(17 Posts)
AstridPeth Wed 31-May-17 10:47:28

Posting here for traffic. We had planned to go to the beach at Tenby today as my weather app said it would be a good day. Not so! It's wet cold and misty.
So what can I do with an 8 year old, 10 year old and a 13 and 14 year old? Something that doesn't cost the earth and isn't too far away please. Thank you

dinosaursandtea Wed 31-May-17 10:51:17

Is posting on AIBU genuinely quicker than Google?

MrsWickens Wed 31-May-17 10:54:01

Folly Farm
Oakwood
Dinosaur Park

AstridPeth Wed 31-May-17 10:54:16

I have literally spent an over an your searching on Google and haven't found anything. I was hoping for some local knowledge, someone that might come up with something that I haven't found.
But thank you for your suggestion.

AstridPeth Wed 31-May-17 10:55:21

Thank you MrsWickens. Will take a look at those suggestions x

WWMC Wed 31-May-17 10:57:34

It's not open today, but for your next wet and cold day try the West Wales Museum of Childhood.

Fieryfighter Wed 31-May-17 10:58:15

Yes yes to folly farm, it's ace and quite a bit indoors to do. It's great fun there

Fieryfighter Wed 31-May-17 10:59:00

Heatherton may also be a good bet

ExplodingCarrots Wed 31-May-17 11:02:00

I third folly farm. Plenty indoors to escape the rain. I wouldn't recommend Oakwood as it seems to have gone downhill

Bearberry Wed 31-May-17 11:02:11

Manor park is another good one, it's a wildlife park just outside Tenby, has indoor soft play area and animals outdoors. It's a bit more low key and less commercial than folly farm.

There's also a circus on in Tenby at the moment, with showings at 5:30pm and 7:30pm

Folly farm is good, more indoor stuff including a big vintage indoor funfair area.

Blue lagoon swimming pool by blue stone (very near Oakwood) which has slides and play areas, wave machine etc.

Oakwood theme park is good, but mainly outdoors and not in the same league as Thorpe park etc...

Above are all in Pembrokeshire but no further for you than Tenby would have been.

Carmarthen town centre has a vue cinema.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 31-May-17 11:02:13

Folly farm is fab and there's a funfair inside as well as indoor shows

Oakwood is good but a lot of it obviously is outside

Tenby town is nice for a wander round the shops, and there's a lifeboat place you can visit

UnconsideredTrifles Wed 31-May-17 11:06:36

Plenty of castles (Pembroke, Carew) still good in wet weather, as is the Iron Age Fort at Castell Henllys - very interactive and often have activities during the holidays. If the can get hold of the Coast to Coast newspaper produced by the Pembrokeshire national park that has a list of events. Good luck!

KungFuEric Wed 31-May-17 11:07:46

If you need it to be more budget friendly then Kidwelly castle maybe, or pembre country park? I think you can hire bikes there and cycle along the coastal path to Burry port harbour and see the lighthouse. There's a nice cafe called whitfords there, or get some fish and chips.

Everyone loves a nice half term memory of being in rainy Wales dont they?

agentdaisy Wed 31-May-17 11:58:46

The weather in Carmarthen and Tenby can be different.

Folly Farm, Pembroke castle, Pembroke dock and Saundersfoot are good places to spend the day. There's lots of castles (Pembroke, Kidwelly, Carew) and museums like the maritime museum, science museum, Kidwelly ironworks etc in the area.

It depends on what your dcs are like tbh. I used to love museums and castles when I went on holiday to Tenby but my dcs prefer running round and going to the beach.

Eminado Wed 31-May-17 12:06:00

Omg i am in the exact same situation!!! How random!!! My DC are younger than yours though.

Folly farm is fab though - we went last year.

The weather has done us wrong this year!!

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Wed 31-May-17 12:06:53

There is plenty of traffic in chat you know. You can also try your local board.

ThePants999 Wed 31-May-17 12:07:28

YABU. Take this to _Chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now