Talk

Advanced search

Posting for traffic- where can I find nice picnic food in Oxford please?

(15 Posts)
ComingUpTrumps Wed 31-May-17 02:18:58

Hi everyone.

AIBU to ask you whether you could recommmend anywhere in Oxford (ideally as close to the city centre as possible please) where I could buy 'naice' picnic food please? If the places aren't too expensive as well, that would be a bonus!

Thank you! :-)

araiwa Wed 31-May-17 02:30:22

does oxford not have supermarkets?

NutButterNutter Wed 31-May-17 02:49:25

There's a big Waitrose up Botley Road? That always comes up Trumps (do you appreciate the use of your name, there?!). Otherwise, there's a place that does lovely salads things in the covered market but I can't remember the name... that's not cheap, though!!

beingorange Wed 31-May-17 02:55:55

Taylors Deli: on LIttle Clarendon Street and on the High Street. Or the Covered market in the center of town.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 31-May-17 03:07:05

I love plain old M&S for picnic stuff. Keep it simple. Don't forget to pack your picnic rugs and plastic champagne flutes.

OP you are really going above and beyond thinking and posting about this at 2:18AM. I hope the bride appreciates you flowers

CasperGutman Wed 31-May-17 06:16:18

Covered market. Loads of options in there, from traditional butchers (pork pie!) to Ben's Cookies and a greengrocers. And the marvellous Oxford Cheese Company!

bushtailadventures Wed 31-May-17 06:34:03

There's always Sainsburys and Tescos I suppose...seriously, the M&S in Queen Street has a decent food hall, or as said already, the Covered Market has everything.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Wed 31-May-17 06:38:20

YY Covered Market.

SeaRabbit Wed 31-May-17 07:01:58

As you said the bride is a foodie, yyy to the covered market.

areyougoingtoeatthat Wed 31-May-17 07:14:41

For ease you can pre order food from M&S so all you have to do is go in and pick it up. Saves time and also stops people dithering choosing what they want! I'm sure even the foodie bride will be happy with a nice selection from there. Hope your plans are coming together.

CherylVole Wed 31-May-17 07:18:01

Don't post for traffic

icanteven Wed 31-May-17 07:18:52

Covered Market for cheese (right at the back, near the entrance by Boots).

Waitrose Botley Rd.

Taylors

Amazing coffee from Jericho Coffee Traders (High Street) or Society (St Michael's St).

Amazing cakes from Barefoot Bakery in Jericho - also stocked by Society though. Salted caramel brownes OMG

M&S on Queen St for whatever else.

For alcohol, there's an Oddbins on Little Clarendon St, or else M&S/supermarkets. There's NO off licence on or around the High St., only at the shops at either end.

MoonBean2 Wed 31-May-17 07:44:29

All good above, but I would also really recommend getting the picnic hamper from the Cous Cous cafe! It's just past Magdalen bridge so super close to the punting and you get tones of Pita, falafel, vine leaves, hummus etc for 2/3 people for £10!

If you're looking for free entertainment as well at Saturday lunch time (~12:40) the very last undergrad students finish their exams and will be being 'trashed' (covered in glitter, shaving foam, cava etc) on the side road next to exam schools! If you're from Oxford I'm sure you've seen it all before, but its usually pretty entertaining for visitors grin

Mummmy2017 Wed 31-May-17 08:36:12

What about a click and collect from Tesco..

Salad, French Bread Meat and Cheese, Pies, Crisps and Cakes..

Add some fizz, Fruit juice and soft drinks and do it all the night before and just pick it up, If you take a picnic table you can

ComingUpTrumps Wed 31-May-17 09:20:03

Thank you so much everyone! flowers you're all fab. Sorry for posting at 2am 🙈 I've just been so so stressed about it all recently. Thank you all for your suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now