Talk

Advanced search

to want an apology?

(45 Posts)
winenotdine Wed 31-May-17 01:21:46

me and a close friend recently had an argument in which i told her she was manipulative (she is- something our mutual friends & my therapist have agreed on) after i told her that all she said was "sorry" and blocked my number. today she posted an apology on fb basically saying she's sorry just in general and that she's trying to be a better person. yet i haven't received a personal apology? she put me through months of emotional abuse and has seriously damaged my mental health (i was in therapy before all this happened, my therapist was the one to tell me that i had to make her aware she was manipulating me & others) AIBU to want a sincere, personal apology?

PeaFaceMcgee Wed 31-May-17 01:26:13

YABU. You can't make her do anything. She's said sorry on the phone. You want her to grovel and cry?

Just be proud of yourself for confronting her and move on from the friendship now.

BeachyKeen Wed 31-May-17 01:28:13

You may not be wrong to want it, but you'd be foolish to wait for it.

kissmethere Wed 31-May-17 01:35:12

Yabu, how much does she have to apologise to make it valid.
Either accept the apology or don't. It sounds like you want her to grovel.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 31-May-17 01:48:26

Um, why would you want an apology or more contact? Months of emotional abuse? Damaged your mental health? Grow up and get rid of her. It's not school and you don't have to see her every day. Stop bitching about her to your friends and therapist and get in with your life.

Chloe84 Wed 31-May-17 03:38:52

Agree, time to get rid. Manipulative people don't change.

And the FB apology could be another attempt at manipulation (with you and mutual friends).

araiwa Wed 31-May-17 03:44:32

all she said was "sorry"

you have had your apology

get over yourself- now decide what you will do next-id bin her

callmehannahbaker Wed 31-May-17 04:05:10

I'm sorry but yabu, if everyone wanted a personal apology from everyone to blame for everything the only thing anyone would say would be sorry.

My therapist advises me that if they acknowledge their wrongs that is more than you should expect. I go along with that, hard as it is

PurpleDaisies Wed 31-May-17 04:09:20

The fact that you've had any sort of apology is unusual. Most people who behave badly won't acknowledge it at all.

You need to decide if you want to give her a chance to show whether she's changed or not. If she's blocked your number, isn't that a fairly clear signal she doesn't want to be in contact with you anyway?

Hisnamesblaine Wed 31-May-17 04:11:14

What did she do to you personally?

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 31-May-17 04:12:18

YANBU to want a sincere personal apology, you're only human. You want her to acknowledge that she was in the wrong, so that you can move on from it all. But - since she is manipulative, I would be wary of that close a contact! Indeed, her FB apology could be seen as an attempt to manipulate you - she's saying sorry publicly to force you to accept it. (Thinking she can make you look bad if you don't.)

Accept that she's not capable of offering a sincere apology. Remember that "she put me through months of emotional abuse and has seriously damaged my mental health" and steer well clear of her. Don't let her FB apology suck you back in.

AngeloMysterioso Wed 31-May-17 04:41:22

Cut her loose OP. Snip snip ✂️

You don't need people like that in your life

hollowstone Wed 31-May-17 05:19:07

YABU
You obviously feel she has behaved very badly indeed to cause you such grief. Why continue to engage with this person? What are you expecting the apology to give you/do for you? It won't make everything all right will it? The best you could hope for would be a glimpse into why she did what she did but it's unlikely to be forthcoming. You need to chalk this up to a horrible learning experience and move on and as far away from this person as possible

daisychain01 Wed 31-May-17 05:47:40

she put me through months of emotional abuse

In what way did she put you through months of abuse? Unless you and she were living in the same household or she was permanently camped outside your house, you must have given her access to allow that. please don't say it was on Facebook

StillDrivingMeBonkers Wed 31-May-17 07:04:31

i told her she was manipulative (she is- something our mutual friends & my therapist have agreed on)

So you talk about her behind her back? your therapist will only get your version of what she's like - but your other friends, well that's a right old gossip fest going on isn't it. Have managed to completely marginalise and ostracise her yet? Just putting it out there.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 31-May-17 07:12:29

Yanbu BUT I think you know that you won't get a genuine apology from this person.

She sounds like she has a lot of issues. If she's working on herself then great. You have to decide whether the friendship is worth it or not. People can and do change, but sometimes it's better to distance yourself for a while.

LavenderDoll Wed 31-May-17 07:12:39

Why are you gossiping behind her back
Why isn't sorry good enough

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 31-May-17 07:14:37

As a side note I'm concerned about your therapist telling you these things. Of course I don't know the full details however this doesn't sound right. I'm a qualified therapist myself (not practising at the moment) and I wouldn't put ideas into people's heads like that.

LedaP Wed 31-May-17 07:16:29

A therapist shouldnt tell you someone us manipulative. They only have your side of a story. They can tell you they sound manipulative or that its clear you feel they are.

You have also admitted to talking about her behind her back with another friend. One of her friends.

She apologised and blocked you. Thats ger choice.

From what you have written in the Op i can't see what see has done wrong tbh.

I cant see the emotional abuse either unless you have missed massive parts of this out.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 31-May-17 07:19:49

"A therapist shouldnt tell you someone us manipulative. They only have your side of a story. They can tell you they sound manipulative or that its clear you feel they are."

Completely agree with this. It's the persons perception of the other person and how it's affecting them that is key, not the therapist's judgement. It's about learning to deal with the person causing the issues, maybe that means continuing the friendship with different boundaries or cutting them off. Only the OP can make this decision for herself.

Kokusai Wed 31-May-17 07:31:48

Wow if a friendship is causing you issues you need to talk about in therapy, that isn't a friendship worth keeping!

NellieBuff Wed 31-May-17 07:33:48

I agree that I find it strange that a therapist should inform you that another person is manipulative. Perhaps this is a case of hearing what you want to. As you feel so strongly about this cut all ties and move on as perhaps you will never receive the apology you are seeking. Good luck moving forward

neonrainbow Wed 31-May-17 07:35:14

She's not responsible for your mental health.

lizzyj4 Wed 31-May-17 07:37:42

A therapist shouldnt tell you someone is manipulative. They only have your side of a story. They can tell you they sound manipulative or that it's clear you feel they are.

Totally agree with this. YABU - Get over yourself and move on. Gossiping about her behind her back is really not on. You are not a friend to her any more than she has been to you. If you don't like the way she behaves just stop engaging with her. It seems as if she has already taken that decision by blocking you anyway.

Hereward1332 Wed 31-May-17 07:50:31

Her FB status is manipulative in itself. She wants the attention of hordes of huns, all telling her what a wonderful friend she is.

That said, you do sound like you are putting an awful lot of blame at her door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now