Talk

Advanced search

Fake it til you make it?

(13 Posts)
bottomofthefoodchain Tue 30-May-17 20:20:03

I'm in the position where I might soon be offered a promotion. I'm qualified for the role, plus some way to the next level of qualification and have been for a few years now. I've been carrying out some of the duties in addition to my own role as my boss has always been very encouraging of my CPD and always included me in all aspects of the job as much or as little as I've wanted/been able. He is actively pushing for management to consider this move for me.

The issue is, he will now no longer be there for me to run things past, or explain things to me that I'm not 100% sure of, etc and I'm not sure that if I was given this opportunity that I have the confidence and knowledge to pull it off. I would be asking to be put through more CPD, but I did ask this previously and was told it wasn't possible at the time as I was already qualified for the next step up (this one), but maybe in the next budget year. If it came down to it, I would perhaps self fund to help my confidence. It is quite a responsible role. It's not managerial, but I would be the only person on my site day to day and first point of contact for queries relating to the subject.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is, has anyone here been in a similar position? Did you crash and burn, or did you manage to get to a point where the job became second nature and you felt like a valuable, competent employee?

It would be a great opportunity for me at the perfect time, with great potential for progression, but I don't feel up to it without my boss being there as my trusty back up and mentor!

bottomofthefoodchain Tue 30-May-17 21:13:44

Anyone? Either way.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Tue 30-May-17 22:07:07

I've not been in the same position, but I would imagine that if you HAD to make a decision you probably could; might you run things past your current boss just because you can? Try withdrawing over the next couple of weeks, making your mind up first then checking with him if you feel the need to do so. You'll probably pleasantly surprise yourself! Good luck flowers

bottomofthefoodchain Tue 30-May-17 22:36:07

Thank you smile I do try and make decisions and give advice by myself, and he's out of the office quite regularly where I have to do that, and then check with him after about what he would have done, etc. Or I tell people I'll get back to them and consult with him first. But he just always seems to think of stuff that I don't! And his technical and regulatory knowledge is at a level I can't ever imagine reaching. And he never gets stressed about anything. I'm such a worrier! Clearly grin

PeanutButterBunny Tue 30-May-17 23:48:32

I am in that position smile Just got promoted. I was apparently very good at what I was doing before, but in my role which is also management, I feel a little out of depth. However I will keep trying and learning and ignore the negative voices from within and around me. I'm a worrier just like you, OP. It's unhealthy!

MyStomachHurts Wed 31-May-17 00:01:30

Same boat here. Definitely faking it lol

KeepServingTheDrinks Wed 31-May-17 00:05:57

Sounds like you could do this. Go for it!

bottomofthefoodchain Wed 31-May-17 08:20:25

Thank you all. So you don't regret going for it?

I'm torn between trying not to get my hopes up that do they offer me it, and not freaking out if they do. I don't want to show any hint of my lack of confidence in myself.

I can't help worrying what I'm if total crap and end up having to leave. I really like the place where I work and don't know if I could go back to my current role if it didn't work out.

Maybe it's a case of "better the devil you know". Although my current set up will likely need to change to some extent anyway 

MyStomachHurts Wed 31-May-17 10:19:33

It sounds exactly like my aituation 6 months ago. I felt physically sick about being successful and getting management role. I wont lie, its been tough, really fucking tough but it is definitely worth it.

If he didnt think you were capable then there would be no pushing for you to get it.

Life isn't a dress rehearsal, go out and get as much as you can

PeanutButterBunny Wed 31-May-17 12:46:21

Oh no, no regret at all. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to stretch yourself. And if they believe in you to offer you a promotion then they most likely dont want to lose you, it is not easy to get good people these days! Good luck, OP! smile

bottomofthefoodchain Wed 31-May-17 13:26:24

Well, to be honest, it's not them who believe in me. It's my boss, and I think trying to get them to give me this opportunity is his parting gift to me. But, then again, he knows me far better than senior management do, so his opinion is what matters most to me. I'm really going to miss him  And I really don't want to balls it up and make him look silly.

TheStoic Wed 31-May-17 14:00:29

Think like a man.

Most of them fake it until they make it. Some of them fake it forever.

<helpful>

You can do it. You just need the opportunity and some self-confidence.

bottomofthefoodchain Wed 31-May-17 16:17:39

Stoic that is quite true! I work with a number of people who have me wondering on a daily basis how they haven't been found out yet! However, there will definitely be people who say that about me if I get this job, and the hard hit for me is knowing they could be right.

My boss spoke to me again today though. He was if they offer me it, I need to know exactly what the set up is if I, or they, decide the post isn't working out with me in it. I guess if hey can somehow guarantee me that I can go back to mum current job, that would put my mind at rest. I just don't know how likely that is with the way things are changing.

But thank you all for the replies! It's good to know it can work out, and I'd definitely put the work into more training. Completing the degree I started a few years back, or even starting again with the diploma, coupled with this opportunity, could really set me up over the next 5 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now