Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about going to a concert

(11 Posts)
stirling Tue 30-May-17 18:49:12

Hi,

I'll keep it short. Best friend bought tickets to see Kool and the Gang for my birthday (a real once in a lifetime opportunity, we were huge fans back in the day)

I was already uncomfortable about it before the Manchester bombing, because of terrorist attack on a concert in France and a planned one here in the UK several months ago. Nevertheless best friend was v keen and not a total Worrybag like me.

My anxiety stems from two sources: my friend was blown up on the bus at Russell Square in 2005 so it's not a "this happens to other people" thing, it's very real.
Secondly, my daughter was in a horrific accident that could have been prevented 8 years ago. Since then I'm edgy and very precautious. Hyper vigilant.
To top it all I'm especially nervous about my life because I'm a single mum with barely any support. The father is useless and awful, I'm all the children have.

Would you feel ok about going and am I being ridiculous?
Many thanks everyone

stirling Tue 30-May-17 18:49:36

Sorry, that wasn't short!

Redglitter Tue 30-May-17 18:50:50

You'll probably find this is the safest time to go. Security has been really tightened at venues since last Monday

Enjoy your concert smile

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 30-May-17 19:18:28

As Redglitter says security will be tighter and its probably safer to go now than 2 weeks ago.

I went to a football match at Wembley yesterday. We were searched and our bags searched and tagged to show they'd been searched. Everyone was very co-operative and enjoyed the day (except for the score!).

Please try not to live in a shadow of fear and have a fab time.

spacefrog35 Tue 30-May-17 19:23:24

Yanbu however that doesn't mean that you shouldn't go and have a wonderful time. I'm sorry for your losses but please don't let the fear prevent you from going.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Tue 30-May-17 19:25:01

You are not being ridiculous at all - anxiety is very, very difficult to handle, but unfortunately it won't ever reduce if you avoid situations.

As others have said, security is very tight at the moment (bag searches etc) and the chance of anything happening is incredibly slim. Go ahead on enjoy yourself - it sounds like it's going to be an ace night for you and your friend!

Laniakea Tue 30-May-17 19:25:07

my mum, dad, dh & dsis are going to a gig in London on election night. I do feel nervous but what is the alternative, other than just to carry on? The threat isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

Catminion Tue 30-May-17 19:26:10

I think the chances of being killed or injured are very very low indeed. I see what you are saying about past events. I have an extremely rare illness; a friend's daughter was murdered; all random events that have no bearing on the future.

I went to an event this weekend and all bags etc were searched as the other posters said.

Just go ahead - as you say probably once in a lifetime opportunity.

stirling Tue 30-May-17 19:30:45

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring.
Catminion I'm really sorry to hear that...

Concert is in just under 2 weeks time

bailz Tue 30-May-17 20:44:00

Personally I wouldn't. My anxiety is at an all time high. I live in newcastle and I refuse to go to the metrocentre or into town. I'm just too scared. I know it's not right and IABVU but it's how I feel. I wish it wasn't so

stirling Wed 31-May-17 00:31:21

Me too, been avoiding big shopping centres...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now