Talk

Advanced search

To expect fluffy towels to stay fluffy!! What IS the secret?!

(35 Posts)
ThisIsActuallyHappening Tue 30-May-17 17:35:23

Does it involve a tumble drier? 'cause we don't have one, or any space to put one 😥

Where can I buy nice fluffy towels and HOW do I keep them fluffy? Currently have a decent set of scratchy, cardboardy "Egyptian Cotton" towels purchased in vain last year ...

I don't use fabric softener with my towels as I understand that blocks the fibres and can make them hard, what else am I doing wrong?

mrsBeverleygoldberg Tue 30-May-17 17:38:33

It might be because you live in a hard water area, or over drying? Tumble dryer does make towels soft.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 30-May-17 17:39:15

Yes tumbling seems to to be the only way I am afraid

BernardsBum Tue 30-May-17 17:39:49

It is a tumble dryer unfortunately

Hillarious Tue 30-May-17 17:40:34

Just don't wash them. Rough towels = clean towels!

kaytee87 Tue 30-May-17 17:45:02

Tumble drier I'm afraid

Teddy6767 Tue 30-May-17 17:45:57

Yep tumble drier is the only way I keep mine fluffy. Just hanging them up to dry always makes mine go like cardboard

icelollycraving Tue 30-May-17 17:46:30

Tumble dryer is the only way I've found. I use fabric conditioner on everything. My tumble dryer has broken again and dh said as it's summer it doesn't need sorting yet.
Towels are not nice. I have stunt towels for appearances sake grin

Etymology23 Tue 30-May-17 17:48:21

I don't tumble dry mine (well I do occasionally). I use fabric conditioner (not vast amounts) and dry outside.

Equally, I'm not sure my mother had ever bought a towel in her life so maybe I just have very low standards!

Littlereen Tue 30-May-17 17:54:37

Don't use laundry detergent on them - use bicarb and white vinegar in machine, and dry on washing line on a windy day!

Llamacorn Tue 30-May-17 18:06:17

I have a tumble dryer so luckily have fluffy towels now (big difference from when I didn't have one.)
I was going to say white vinegar too (put it in where you would normally put fabric softener) And cut down on washing powder as that can build up a soapy residue which makes them stiff. Make sure you wash them in warm water.
I've seen these eco 'balls' you can use instead of washing powder and a friend of mine swears by them. I haven't used them myself, but may be worth a look.

sunshinesupermum Tue 30-May-17 18:12:46

I have a combi washing machine/tumble dryer. One machine does both jobs.

BrexitSucks Tue 30-May-17 18:28:04

ime, tumble dryers strip towels like crazy. Shorten their working life for sure.

So basically, buy new towels frequently. That's how they "stay" fluffy.

ittakes2 Tue 30-May-17 18:53:10

Did I read correctly that you don't use fabric softener? If I did, than that could be why - fabric softener...it's in the name! I also find not washing them too hot helps.

roywoodsbeard Tue 30-May-17 19:04:13

No, you shouldn't use fabric softener on towels as it can reduce their absorption.

I never had fluffy towels until I got my tumble drier - works like magic smile

thatorchidmoment Tue 30-May-17 19:17:55

Fabric softener will make them less crispy but reduces their absorbency a bit. However, if you wash them hot without fabric softener every few washes, it should strip the conditioner out while you enjoy the softness after the other washes.

Give them a good few 'snaps' before line drying them on a breezy day. Makes quite a difference to the fluffiness. Proper fluffing will only be achieved with tumbling though, sorry!

Petrichery Tue 30-May-17 19:25:14

I once asked DP how to get our towels all soft and fluffy because his towels were all so nice when i first went around to his place. He said slightly shamefaced that all his towels were nice then because they were all brand new. What, all of them? I asked. Yes, because I was coming over for the first time and he'd panicked and wanted everything to be perfect. I was fairly sure he was a keeper before that but i was sure then smile
which is a long winded way of saying yes, buying new is apparently the only way without a tumbledrier.

JustMyLuckUnfortunately Tue 30-May-17 19:26:40

Petrichery love that story! 😍

bananafish81 Tue 30-May-17 19:33:04

I've never used fabric conditioner but I would never not tumble my towels, I want my fluffy towels to be nice and soft. I had a nervo when our dryer was on the fritz at the prospect of crispy towels!

foresttrees2 Tue 30-May-17 19:39:22

Wash them with 2 tennis balls in the machine. They work well in the dryer too!

ratspeaker Tue 30-May-17 19:39:49

I admit to using a tumble dryer and softener to get fluffiness.
Preferably towels been outside on line, brought in damp then a wee while in dryer.

But have also found an extra washing cycle to get all the detergent out helps. And a good blowy drying day. Get them in while still dampish.
It's like a cool tumble dry.

Sionella Tue 30-May-17 20:30:02

I quite like a nice hard towel - gets you dry much more quickly. No? blush

bananafish81 Tue 30-May-17 22:35:05

My soft fluffy towels seem to be perfectly adequate in getting me dry, not sure what valuable seconds a scratchy towel would shave off? (in addition to the top layer of skin!)

I prefer to wrap myself in a lovely warm cosy towel when I step out the shower - a hard, crispy towel would feel like some spartan punishment!

MsMims Tue 30-May-17 22:38:02

Heavy, good quality towels.

Mine are either 700 or 800 GSM from house of fraser. Not the same as tumble dried towels but they're still soft and quite fluffy when dried outside.

Booshbeesh Tue 30-May-17 22:41:15

Dry on the line then iron them with a tint hint of fabric softener in the iron water!!! It works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now