Talk

Advanced search

To find the lack of decent nursing clothes annoying

(59 Posts)
bailz Tue 30-May-17 16:52:47

I'm breastfeeding and I can't find anything to wear!!
Everything is either expensive, black, dark blue, brown or ugly! I'll happily feed in public but not so much when I have to get my whole boob out or lift my top so my belly is hanging out.
What do you wear?

CruCru Tue 30-May-17 16:54:40

I absolutely loved these people when I was breastfeeding. they even do a feeding hoody fleece.

TeaBelle Tue 30-May-17 16:56:24

I juat used to wear my normal top with a vest top underneath. I only had one specific feeding top

ExPresidents Tue 30-May-17 16:56:59

There is a real shortage of nice maternity and nursing clothes. It's like when you become pregnant you're expected to lose all interest in fashion.

I breastfed for a year and didn't use nursing tops. I wore a stretchy vest top under all my normal tops, and then would lift the normal top up, pull the top of the vest top down and then voila - you have a boob free but everything is covered up.

UnconsideredTrifles Tue 30-May-17 16:57:09

YANBU! I'm six months in and it's driving me mad. I either wear strappy tops with jeans or wrap/scoop neck dresses from seasalt that are nice and stretchy.

Also, there are NO nice nursing bras - it's as if they expect you to want to be completely unattractive until the baby is weaned! angry

PacificDogwod Tue 30-May-17 16:58:40

I wore a tank top with man-style shirt on top - no muffin top on show while maintaining easy access smile
And I was not all cold and drafty - that scared the milk away...

bailz Tue 30-May-17 16:58:49

@CruCru they do look nice but quite expensive sad I only want a few summery things and it's not like I'll wear them again once I stop feeding sad

bailz Tue 30-May-17 17:02:03

Haha I'm pleased I'm not the only one!!

I've got a few nursing tops but they are quite ugly. I've got some shirts and some baggy t's but I just don't feel very...pretty lol.
I'm a dress girl so I'm proper stuck in jeans and leggings and I don't really like it, I don't have many tops and the ones I do have were quite form fitting confused

Bodypumpaddict Tue 30-May-17 17:04:15

I got some nice lacy feeding bras from Mothercare, and I found they actually gave me a great shape. Worth a look?

You're totally right OP... very little choice. I spent a year wearing feeding vests under Breton tops.

SunEgg Tue 30-May-17 17:04:56

YANBU, this drove me mad!

ExPresidents Tue 30-May-17 17:06:19

I found Asos quite good OP, they have a nursing range: www.asos.com/women/maternity/cat/?cid=5813&refine=brand:15258¤tpricerange=5-105&pgesize=36

Some dresses there x

TheLongRains Tue 30-May-17 17:07:00

I wear a vest (either a nursing one or one with stretchy straps) and another top over that. So the vest comes down, the top goes up and I only have what's needed hanging out ;)

But in hot weather it's not great having to wear two layers.

I agree about the lack of nice nursing clothes. I've got a few bits, but they're mostly quite frumpy and I don't feel that confident in them. And also a lot of things are maternity AND nursing in one, so they're kinda baggy after being worn over a giant belly!

It would be so nice to see more affordable tops/dresses in a wider variety of styles.

SilverdaleGlen Tue 30-May-17 17:10:21

YABU only because nursing clothes are a total rip off waste of money!

I am the big of boob and belly and just did the vest down top up thing. I also by DC2 & 3 just wore my normal balconette/plunge bra and scooped my boob out and back in again. No faffing with hooking cups on and off. ''Tis all a con that you need special tops/bras.

NerrSnerr Tue 30-May-17 17:11:08

I go for the vest top under another top. If I'm wearing something I can pop a boob out of I will take a big muslin or scarf to cover myself.

sephymumma Tue 30-May-17 17:11:32

Yabnu. I find most places offer joint maternity/feeding wear. Considering I was back to my normal size four weeks after both kids I don't want to be wearing something that makes me look pregnant. I don't think they aim feeding clothes at extended feeders either...a year or more post baby i wouldn't want to be wearing mat clothes still.
The vest trick works most of the time but I really don't want the extra layer on hot days.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 30-May-17 17:14:20

It's a nightmare isn't it. I'm too hot a person to wear a vest under things, even in winter it's too much. I had about 5 feedings tops, all dark or stripey. I think from h and m or next.

bailz Tue 30-May-17 17:15:47

@SilverdaleGlen as I said I don't really have any baggy tops, certainly not ones that will easily go above my boobs. Plus wearing 2 layers in the summer isn't fun. Poor baby has to have his face smushed into my sweaty boob 😥 feel bad!!
I've got some fine nursing bras. Nothing fancy or anything, just simple black and white tshirt bras from H&M. They have the clip which I find easier that trying to negotiate my boobs out of a bra. They fill up so fast with milk they go absolutely solid so not the easiest to handle lol

Alannahpickaver Tue 30-May-17 17:18:23

I am in the same situation at the moment. I am just wearing my "normal" tops and using a breastfeeding apron.
The few nursing tops I do have, are not pretty at all.
I have searched but cannot find anything that is reasonable​, functional and attractive.

gluteustothemaximus Tue 30-May-17 17:23:17

New Look do some nice nursing tops. Not too expensive either.

www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/tops/maternity-black-nursing-t-shirt_506487801?productFind=search

I have these black tops. Teamed with black leggings/trousers, they look great.

glitterglitters Tue 30-May-17 17:23:26

Two up two down
Tends to be my go to.

But yes. Specific nursing clothes seem to be covered in butterflies and designed for those who are still pregnant or. Baggy af

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Tue 30-May-17 17:24:30

My friend started her own clothing line due to this:

Www.hotmama.co.uk

glitterglitters Tue 30-May-17 17:25:44

@NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll yes!!! Nursing clothes that AREN'T maternity. Your friend = halo

TheInimitableMrsFanshawe Tue 30-May-17 17:29:04

There's a FB group called Can i breastfeed in it which is stuffed to the gills with ideas.

Scrowy Tue 30-May-17 17:30:17

Join the group 'can I breastfeed in it' on Facebook. Lots ideas on there, mainly dresses at the moment.

I'm like you the vast majority of my pre baby wardrobe is skater dresses and fitted tunic dresses. I've been meaning to attempt to make my own breastfeeding dresses from a pattern but I've never got round to it and the baby is already 4 months old and I'm not sure how much longer I'm planning to feed her.

MrsSeverusSnape Tue 30-May-17 17:31:16

Join "Can I breastfeed in it?" on Facebook. There's some BF friendly stuff in the sale in sainsburys at the moment, shirt dresses and a lovely nautical maxi dress that's stretchy enough to nurse in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now