Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's in it for me? (Election)

(17 Posts)
Jakeyboy1 Tue 30-May-17 12:45:42

So always voted Tory. Rather disillusioned with them. Think they are probably best for Brexit but have become about as single issue as UKIP. Disagree with much of their education policy.

Thought when Corbyn came in I could see why "old school" labour voters may like him but now can't event see that and think he is making it up as he goes along (watched him last night stumble over the EU question on the Q&A on channel 4). Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Lib Dems - again single issue re Brexit though in a different way.

For the first time ever feel like not voting. I have always voted since first could in 1997.

I feel as a working mum and from a highly taxed household no one is talking to me or addressing any issues that are important to me. E.g. NHS gets talked about in such vast realms but not in terms of the real issues we face every day trying to access it. Education is a basket case proposal from all of them. Free 30 hours childcare - I'll believe it when I see if and when they get the online system working....

Ranting now and not asking which way to vote but I can't be the only person to think like this???

FreeSpiritJen Tue 30-May-17 13:08:50

No you're not the only one. I am truly stuck. My heart says one thing, my head says another.

Kokusai Tue 30-May-17 13:58:53

It has to be the worst choice in living memory for a UK election?

Popular politics, rhetoric, no decent costed policies, all the manifestos are basically lies.

nigelsbigface Tue 30-May-17 14:00:50

I'm massively disenfranchised by all the parties. I have no idea how I'll vote for the first time ever.

waitforitfdear Tue 30-May-17 14:01:37

Totally agree. Probably will vote Tory though as can't not vote and May marginally better than the other two preposterous idiots. Cant vote for any front bench with Dianne Abbott as home sec either she's a fruit loop

CadnoDrwg Tue 30-May-17 14:03:55

I've been struggling too. Today I had my rainbow collection of political leaflets.

All but one was all about blaming someone else for a situation or basically admitting they were a party puppet with no individual thoughts as to how they'd represent my constituency.

I've decided the lone voice of "Things I'd like to do for our constituents and how I'll represent you" will get my vote. It's a dead vote admittedly because I live in a labour/tory swing seat but it's a vote I'm happy to cast so I'll stick with it.

This is one of the worst elections I've ever had to choose in. There isn't a credible leader out of the choices available but not voting isnt a choice for me so I just want it to be June 9th and to be over.

Jakeyboy1 Tue 30-May-17 14:21:15

Glad it's not just me.
And to add where are all the politicians with charisma and stature? They've all gone! It's just so dull and so nasty.

ArgyMargy Tue 30-May-17 14:27:14

Gosh well here's a revolutionary idea. How about think of someone else for a change? You claim to be highly taxed so evidently consider yourself well off. You could start thinking about the different parties' policies on addressing inequality, poverty, social care crisis, NHS blah blah blah.

Jakeyboy1 Tue 30-May-17 17:11:28

@ArgyMargy that wasn't really my point was it - the point is I see no one appealing to me or issues that matter to me.

Sorry but yes I will put myself and my family first FFS.

Jakeyboy1 Tue 30-May-17 17:12:47

@ArgyMargy although equally I don't see any policies that really benefit the wider majority. They are all unrealistic or uncontested crap.

Jakeyboy1 Tue 30-May-17 17:14:41

That should say "un-budgeted" not contested!

CadnoDrwg Tue 30-May-17 20:38:39

ArgyMargy you are entirely missing the point. I will not vote for a party/leader that I think is bad for the country no matter how many idiots tell me their chosen party is the solution.

That's why I'm entirely with Jakeyboy

There are no credible leaders or party manifestos that are stacked up for the good of our country so choosing how to vote is more difficult than ever. That's why people like us will vote for what we think would be less damaging for our families rather than the "greater good"

user1471545174 Tue 30-May-17 21:07:35

Agree, OP, considering not voting for the first time ever.

Spudlet Tue 30-May-17 21:11:53

I don't have a clue, I really don't. I can't stand the Maybot and the Tories. The Lib Dems are wet lettuces. Corbyn just isn't effective as a politician IMO - I don't think he would be able to get anything done in Parliament. UKIP are racist morons, it goes without saying. The Greens are in cloud cuckoo land.

In all honestly I live in a really safe seat so it doesn't make much difference, but I've never not voted before and I'm not going to miss this one. But as to who I'll vote for, I've not the faintest idea.

Addley Tue 30-May-17 21:12:32

If you don't vote, aren't you pretty much saying that you think other people know better than you? hmm Otherwise why would you leave it up to them?

acquiescence Tue 30-May-17 21:14:07

Not voting at all is a much better option than voting Tory so go with that OP.

You mention the NHS. If this is something you use and is important to you consider voting for a party who will protect and invest in it. I am an NHS nurse and I see on a daily basis the terrible effect that cuts are having. It is not just about cuts to the NHS per se, it's about welfare state cuts which are driving people to the edge and putting an increased pressure on NHS and Social Care (I work in mental health).

silkybear Tue 30-May-17 21:33:57

Can your family afford private healthcare, private education and are willing to risk no deal for brexit? If not vote tactically to get the tories out, lib dem/labour. There are websites that tell you which your area needs. There is so much at stake this election for people to spoil ballots or not vote is such a shame when our services are being decimated. None of them are exactly inspirational leaders I admit, but please take a look at the links below and find out what the impact of a conservative win could be.

www.schoolcuts.org.uk/#!/

tompride.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/theresa-mays-secret-plans-to-replace-nhs-england-with-private-us-healthcare-system-kaiser-permanente/

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/thersa-may-tories-losing-good-pound-labour-win-economy-markets-jp-morgan-analysis-a7763596.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now