Talk

Advanced search

To think the Tories don't want to win.

(76 Posts)
Graceflorrick Mon 29-May-17 22:21:23

AIBU to think the Tories want to lose the election. Could it be that they know Brexit will go so badly that they would rather lose the election than be associated with the negotiations and implementation?

So now they're blatantly targeting schools, pensioners, social care etc to do everything possible to stop people voting for them!

BastardGoDarkly Mon 29-May-17 22:23:51

It really seems like it doesn't it

TM coming out and saying she'll leave even if they win was shock

hangry Mon 29-May-17 22:24:10

i've been thinking the same thing. May is tanking it so the tories don't get blamed forever after about the shambles brexit will be.

i kind of thought she was a bit watch it all burn when she appointed boris as foreign secretary. just taking the piss really.

Graceflorrick Mon 29-May-17 22:25:35

It's the only explanation, isn't it! confused

CherriesInTheSnow Mon 29-May-17 22:29:39

I support labour and have this crossed my mind too a couple weeks ago.

The fox hunting thing, the ivory trade thing, controversial elderly care thing, even if by some miracle these things were a good idea, they must know how all these things are going to be portrayed confused

Anasnake Mon 29-May-17 22:30:36

I was thinking the same - lose the election, don't have to deal with Brexit, May was a remain supporter after all.

Graceflorrick Mon 29-May-17 22:33:24

If so many of us are thinking the same thing, why aren't the media questioning it. It's really odd, isn't it.

user1490465531 Mon 29-May-17 22:38:53

may lost my vote as soon as she mentioned the Fox hunting thing.

thenightsky Mon 29-May-17 22:40:19

Yep... that would suit them.

LouHotel Mon 29-May-17 22:41:31

Either that or they think Corbyn is such a car crash they can get away with doing everythimg they've always wanted to and actually say they had a mandate to do it.

FreeSpiritJen Mon 29-May-17 22:46:31

I was thinking this exact thing this past week! I kept thinking 'why is May coming out with all these things that are clearly going to turn people against the Tories?' confused

I have never ever ever been so confused about who to vote for.

I think for the first time in my life, I may have to abstain.

MiddleagedManic Mon 29-May-17 22:46:38

Am just wondering if the OP is my husband as he called this a couple of weeks ago hmm

I have thought a few times that TM seemed to be hurtling towards a cliff top shouting 'somebody stop me!!' for some time now.

Iflyaway Mon 29-May-17 22:47:13

the ivory trade thing

I haven't seen anything about that. Read the BBC & Guardian etc.

Can you provide a link?

Would not surprise me at all that they are in the pockets of the Chinese....

ilovesooty Mon 29-May-17 22:49:20

She's looking increasingly like someone who doesn't want to lead the party, let alone win the election and deal with Brexit.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Mon 29-May-17 22:49:23

I think you're underestimating their confidence.

millymollymandy82 Mon 29-May-17 22:53:09

Either way we're all screwed, there really is no good outcome

FreeSpiritJen Mon 29-May-17 22:53:41

@iflyaway

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-ivory-trade-ban-2017-manifesto-scrap-pledge-illegal-poaching-a7748581.html

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 29-May-17 22:54:12

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/22/why-would-theresa-may-ditch-pledge-ban-ivory-trading

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 29-May-17 22:54:52

on the contrary, I think it is a sign of arrogance. I think they are so confident they will get in that they are daring to let their true colours show

FreeSpiritJen Mon 29-May-17 22:54:55

From the article...

Theresa May has been accused of quietly scrapping a Conservative pledge to ban the ivory trade in the UK.

Former Prime Minister David Cameron vowed to “press for a total ban on ivory sales” in his 2015 manifesto, echoing a previous promise made in 2010 to eradicate the bloodthirsty practice.

However 2017’s Tory manifesto, released ahead of 8 June’s general election, makes no mention of the pledge.

TreeTop7 Mon 29-May-17 22:56:36

I agree with her social care/triple lock policy even though my elderly parents might be affected, and although I abhor animal cruelty, fox hunting is not a priority topic for me. I don't have a view on her approach to Brexit, certainly not a negative one.

It's the tightfistedness towards disabled people that really puts me off the Cons party, but that rarely gets mentioned in the media these days (outside of the Guardian anyway). If PIP could be subject to the triple lock so that disabled people didn't have to struggle for money quite as much, I'd be better disposed towards the Conservatives - especially if it went hand in hand with better mental health funding for the NHS. And making disabled people jump through metaphorical hoops on a regular basis to get benefits isn't something I condone. It's demeaning.

MissionItsPossible Mon 29-May-17 23:01:50

The fox hunting thing for me left me speechless. Even if I don't vote Tory and don't agree with her all her policies I cannot admit she wasn't playing a very good game and then that came out and I thought wth is she playing at!! And then turning against the Tory core fanbase. Maybe they don't want an overwhelming majority and are trying to lessen the chance.

20nil Mon 29-May-17 23:03:23

Yep, think it's arrogance. Thought they could walk it in, mainly because of shit opposition. Bet they can't believe the Labour revival. Think they'll still win though.

EleanorRigbysNeice Mon 29-May-17 23:07:43

David Cameron. He was the first to turn tail and run. His recklessness has brought us here and then off he went. Twat.

Graceflorrick Mon 29-May-17 23:08:41

Completely agree Eleanor grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now