We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be alarmed by these posts about being "too old" to do X, Y or Z?

(15 Posts)
shuntedrightout Mon 29-May-17 20:59:09

(I am paraphrasing questions asked on here, I can't remember most of them.)

Is it too late for me to get fit after 33?

Should I resign myself to a loveless and childless life now I am 35?

Longshot! Do you know anyone who managed a complete career change at 40?

Resigning myself to never being young and beautiful again: age 37

What are these people reading which makes them think that finding a successful marriage/career/having children/getting fit/being beautiful is some kind of longshot once the 30s are over?

I am 34. I feel that I have good odds of most of these things happening for me in some way if I wanted them to and focused on them.

Am I deluded?

shuntedrightout Mon 29-May-17 21:00:32

Actually I agree that the biological children thing has a time limit, but I mean all ways of having children: IVF, adoption, fostering, step-parenting etc.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 29-May-17 21:03:27

No, you're not deluded.

I rebooted my life at 41 & it was the best thing I ever did.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 29-May-17 21:08:39

To be fair a lit of the things you brought up are affected by age.

Getting pregnant - easier when younger
Finding a partner - bigger pool of potential partners when younger.
Getting fit - easier when younger

Changing career - dunno about that one, I guess it's hard any age. But telling posts your age means they are probably better able to advise.

Berrybakecake1 Mon 29-May-17 21:09:48

Agree.
Your never too old for anything ( babies if your 50ish menopausal yes)
I'm 33 and currently trying to lose 8 stone
I'm also waiting to hear if I've been accepted for a place at uni to become a primary school teacher.
Really enjoying my reboot. Already planning future challenges.

ludothedog Mon 29-May-17 21:16:51

You are completely right and TBH I get a bit frustrated by all these posts. Imagine you start your working life at age 16 (even if it is just a weekend/part time job to supplement study) and go on working until you are 68 (current retirement age) you will have a good 52 years of working life in you. I don't imagine that there will be a lot of people who remain in the same job/career for 52 years. Now that would be boring! For me, I seem to have settled into 8 year cycles with my jobs before re-training and moving on. It's good for the soul and for the brain!

However, I do remember, when in my early teens, thinking that 19 was very old and the beginning of adult life. I recently had a 20 year old tell me that she thought that 40 was very old and that her life would be over then. Of course, as you get older your understanding of what is old changes.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 29-May-17 21:17:54

I was never interested in having kids & one of the big things for me was recognising that I'm happiest single.

But the career change worked, I love my job and I've just been promoted. As for the fitness, after doing nothing since school I took up C25K & I'm running regular 10Ks now. So both those parts are possible.

Good luck with uni, Berry.

Laiste Mon 29-May-17 21:18:20

Actually i find it more depressing to see people worrying about being too old for more mundane stuff. I see posts asking if it's ok to be wearing jeans, long boots, trainers, have long hair, dark lip stick ect - into and after your 40s. As if 40s and 50s are decrepit! sigh.

The thing is - you seem to hear it so much - and these people were teenagers in the 80s. What the hell happened to all that individualism and not giving a shit from back then?

shuntedrightout Mon 29-May-17 21:24:27

Laiste you are totally right. I forgot to include those ones in my OP.

People who think that going out without make up, wearing jeans, wearing a short skirt or having long hair is a pitiable offence after the age of 35.

W T F?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 29-May-17 21:25:32

Agree.

I'm 35 and not even a proper grown up yet...

glenthebattleostrich Mon 29-May-17 21:28:28

Ha, I'm nearly 39 and I didn't even brush my hair today let alone put on make-up. And I left the house and went to a shop.

I do agree though, the sheer panic and expectancy (almost) that life just carries on after 30 and not a lot changes!

Mollie85 Mon 29-May-17 21:43:02

I posted recently (not sure if it's my post you meant or if someone else has since) about being 36, single and childless with fertility issues. I think my post was "Aibu or is this it for me?" I posted after a particularly bad day and a drs appointment. I suppose I wanted a bit of hand holding more than anything. I also wanted to vent a bit and to get other people's experiences.
In my instance, age is very relevant. My fertility issues more so, but age clearly plays a part.

I agree though, that people worry unnecessarily about how they have their hair/ what clothes they are wearing after a certain age.

If it hurts no one, do it!

My friend was lamenting that when we turned forty we'd "have to give up our skinny jean and boots". I wasn't aware there was a time limit on such basic clothing staples grin

Blazedandconfused Mon 29-May-17 21:43:45

I'm 32 and feel like a kid still.

But I have a decent job so can afford to buy clothes and shoes, a gym membership, have a car, a house.

I'm not too old for anything! Life is getting better and better with age.

Noofly Mon 29-May-17 21:46:50

I'm 49 and have spent the past 6 months losing weight and getting fit because DC are finally at an age where they can do all sorts of outdoors stuff and I want to do it with them. We've been rock climbing (older DC), Go Aping (younger one), lots of hill walking/Munros and have Coasteering, sea caving and scrambling booked on our summer holiday this year and are heading to Vancouver/Whistler next summer for tons of outdoor activity.

PIL think I'm nuts and don't approve. Too old for that sort of thing. I hope I'm still going strong in my 70s grin

lidoshuffle Mon 29-May-17 21:50:17

I'm going back to university this year and I'll be 60! I've never felt more positive and happy in myself. I'm no longer concerned what others think about me let alone whether I'm wearing the right jeans or lippy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now