Talk

Advanced search

To struggle with being diagnosed with dyslexia as an adult

(8 Posts)
BanginChoons Mon 29-May-17 17:05:39

As above really. I'm confused as to how i got this far and a bit in denial I think, all the resources I can find online are aimed at children.

Ilovechocolatetoomuch Mon 29-May-17 19:40:29

I was 19 and made it all the way to university before I was diagnosed. When I was in year six at junior school my teacher kept sending me for eye and hearing tests. Every single secondary and college teacher missed it after that. First essay I wrote at uni I was sent off a d diagnosed.

Bizzysocks Mon 29-May-17 19:52:21

some people have more severe symptoms than others so if your symptoms are mild it may explain why it wasn't picked up.

Also if you are very bright and so achieved averagely in school in spite of your dyslexic you may not have been on anyones radar.

what symptoms do you have? why did you get assessed now?

BanginChoons Mon 29-May-17 23:40:04

Thanks for the replies. I got assessed as I have started uni and they routinely screen all the healthcare students due to having a high percentage of dyslexic people in this group compared to the rest of the uni population. I scored highly in screening and was sent for testing.

Symptoms are appalling organisation skills, not being able to judge time frames correctly. The assessor said I had excellent problem solving skills and very slow processing speed which was inconsistent with my other scores.

BanginChoons Mon 29-May-17 23:41:44

I struggle to make notes in class and really have to work hard at interpreting large amounts of text at once. Also structuring my assignments well is a bit of a battle. I thought it was just how I am..

Bizzysocks Tue 30-May-17 08:18:01

your uni should have a student support section who may have someone who can help you. I went back to college last year and saw someone for half an hour a week for 6 weeks. they helped with making a time table and taking notes.

with notes and books (photocopy if they aren't yours so you can) use different colour pens to make important information register in your brain and use diagrams in the margins as again it may help the information stick. Reread the info you have highlighted last time and make bullet point notes, still using colours and diagrams. unfortunately information will take longer to process and sink in but speak to student support and see if the have any tips to make it easier.

good luck with your course.

SentientCushion Tue 30-May-17 08:32:00

I was diagnosed at uni too, I was actually in all the top sets for English so couldn't understand how I could have dyslexia but the more I found out about it the more everything made sense.
My diagnosis was one of the best things that ever happened to me because I learnt how to adapt certain things so I can get the most out of myself, so for example I have a diary that's set out in blocks of time in the day because seeing things laid out like that makes much more sense to me than a list.
I also feel much happier because I know now that I'm not lazy and that my brain is just wired slightly different. My brain gets tired easily when I have to do certain things and I don't get angry at myself anymore.
I have a successful career but I work for myself which I've found much easier.
Good luck op if you have any questions fire away.

WilliowGreen Tue 30-May-17 09:05:22

Being diagnosed as an adult can be really tough as it makes you think about the struggles you have been through and wonder why you didn't get help earlier.
I agree with a previous poster to see what help you can get from the uni. Most universities now have a study skills centre and they usually have a lot of experience in helping students with dyslexia.
A good book about dyslexia in adults is that's the way I think by David Grant. Kara Tointon did a good documentary a few years ago about dyslexia called Don't call me stupid. There are also some good documentaries on BBC radio iplayer.
There a few books available now about study skills for students with dyslexia as well. If your uni screened your whole course you are not alone. I am a university lecturer and I know many students who have dyslexia and other specific learning differences I always encourage them to talk to other students on their course because other people are going through the same thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now