Talk

Advanced search

To love my white head hairs

(30 Posts)
Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:10:26

They are mostly white, some grey. And I love them. I'm in my mid fifties. I think it gives me a whole new look. I'm constantly looking for more.

barrygetamoveonplease Mon 29-May-17 16:11:42

Love 'em, why not? People are always admiring mine.

megletthesecond Mon 29-May-17 16:14:20

Yanbu. I'm starting to get fond of mine. Letting my hair go grey naturally, and slowly, is going to suit my skin tone so much more than dyeing it.

BringOnTheScience Mon 29-May-17 16:16:18

I'm fully embracing my natural silver highlights. I earned every single one!

I'm aiming from the Prof McGonagal look.

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:18:55

Yes. We earned them. Suits my skin tone.

No one has yet admired them verbally. But I do get admiring looks.

SheSaidHeSaid Mon 29-May-17 16:22:01

YANBU.

I love naturally grey/white hair.

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 29-May-17 16:24:47

I have scattered light grey highlights and a light grey streak at the front (on a background of dark brown hair). I like both.

SayNoToCarrots Mon 29-May-17 16:25:45

I love to see women with natural grey / white hair - why should you cover it up? I'm looking forward to practising what I preach when my time comes smile

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 29-May-17 16:29:37

I think if I was getting them for the first time now, in my late 30s, I would have more love for them. Having battled with them since I was a teenager though, it is second nature to reach for the hair dye regularly. I think silver hair can look really stylish - I just don't feel brave enough to embrace the natural look.

heyduggeeallday Mon 29-May-17 16:32:08

I'm just starting to go grey (37) and I am willing to embrace it! My mum thinks I'm crazy and far to young so should keep dying it! It's a lovely silver colour

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:32:14

I'm light brown/dark blonde on top and the silver and grey highlights are gorgeous. I'm so not going down the route of dying my hair. I absolutely admire a head of silver and grey on a woman. So distinctive.

lastkisstoo Mon 29-May-17 16:35:28

I would love to be able to embrace mine. Dyeing it all the time is so expensive and such a faff! However my hair is very dark, and my grey is coming in at the roots around my face. It is not a good look :/

Anyone have any hints about how to get past this stage? Preferably without resorting to bleach/dye.

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:36:04

Hey Your lovely silver colour might well dull into leaden after all the dyes. Black/dark grey.

Don't listen to your mum. (Even though I take my mum's advice most of the time).

originalbiglymavis Mon 29-May-17 16:36:28

Nooooo - they are like bloody corkscrews and stick out at all angles like a halo. Impossible to control.

MMcanny Mon 29-May-17 16:39:30

I love mine too! Never dyed, never will! One of the few things I'm militant about!

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:40:56

lastkiss Would you go for a structured layered short bob? I'm thinking of doing this. The only thing being that I would have to keep up the £45 hair cut.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 29-May-17 16:42:51

Sounds similar to mine, I'm 40 and now have a scattering of pale grey/white throughout with some more concentrated at the front and I like it! I sat at the next table to two v stylish ladies in their (I would say) mid sixties at lunch yesterday and they both had fab light grey/white hair in very different styles - one a wavy bob and the other cropped short. I was trying to surreptitiously check them out for style pointers- they probably thought I was a bit weird!

One question - my hair's quite fine but thick and naturally a bit wavy. It's always been prone to frizz a bit especially in humid conditions and that seems to be increasing as it goes grey. Has anyone found a conditioning solution that helps keep fine greying hair manageable without weighing it down?

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:43:15

Original do they straighten then after the dye? How long does that last?

(I love corkscrew hair so may be biased) Mine are wavy. Gah!

AtlantaGinandTonic Mon 29-May-17 16:44:22

I noticed my first white hair soon after DD1 was born. I was 28. I have mixed feelings about it as I like my hair colour. I don't like to dye though, so I suppose I'll be white haired like my grandmother before I know it!

originalbiglymavis Mon 29-May-17 16:45:53

I haven't really enough of the buggers to start dying it!

Elendon Mon 29-May-17 16:55:52

My hair is frizzy no matter how I colour it. So I'm actually thinking of short bob or just close crop. But my mum, again, says, my hair is better long and to keep it long for as long as I can. I do like my hair shoulder length. I think it suits my face.

Hotheadwheresthecoldbath Mon 29-May-17 17:06:19

I have lots of frizz that I never used to have,I is more manageable long and the public hair frizz effect is ok with a small amount of wax(doesn't refrizz in humidy,drizzle either).
I will not dye mine as I can't stand the 'badger' look as the white parting re-emerges.

OriginalArchitect Mon 29-May-17 17:18:45

I went Gray at 22 and have dyed my black hair ever since. I would love to let it grow out but I can't bear the badger look when my white roots show. Maybe a close crop is in my future but my hair is currently just past my bra strap. Im just not brave enough confused

Elphame Mon 29-May-17 17:24:47

Definitely not loving mine - hair dye until my dying day!

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 29-May-17 17:52:41

hothead do you find a particular sort of wax works best? When do you apply it - after blow-drying?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now