Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if I should do something about these dogs

(4 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Mon 29-May-17 14:41:49

About 4 houses down is an older gentleman (About 60s70s) who zots about on a mobility scooter with his grandkids all over the place, so he clearly has mobility issues but is able to get out fairly frequently. He has a couple of small yappy ratty looking poodle type dogs who we never see out of their garden.

These dogs are a menace. Any and all dogs that go past get the full on snarling yappy treatment which means for us as neighbours all we hear day in day out is yapping following by barking of the other dog that set them off followed by yet more yapping. We learned quickly not to walk our dog past that house.

Clearly these little dogs are under stress/showing fear aggression but the owners seemingly do nothing with them but throw them in their garden. I'd offer to walk them myself but have a reactive dog so it's not an option. What if anything can I do to either help the old boy keep his dogs but ensure they shut up for at least part of the day or have them removed from a clearly unsuitable home? The yapping is getting annoying to say the least!

ArchieStar Mon 29-May-17 14:43:23

Could you contact RSPCA? They sound so unhappy sad

OrangeJulius Mon 29-May-17 14:51:26

I'm not sure there is much you can do. It isn't illegal to not walk your dog.

To be honest, he sounds like a bad dog owner. I do see lots of elderly people on mobility scooters walking dogs. So he could walk them himself, or employ a dog walker. He does neither. From your description I would guess he can't control them if he walks them, so doesn't. That's pretty shit.

If the barking is really bad, you could make noise complaints.

BrexitSucks Mon 29-May-17 14:55:36

Cinnamon Trust helps elderly people with dog care. But the old chap would have to want them to help. You could ring the CT to ask if they have any ideas how to approach him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now