Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you whistle?

(47 Posts)
BromptonCocktail Mon 29-May-17 13:03:43

I've been trying to teach a young relative to whistle this week and it got me thinking about whistling in general.

If you can whistle (as in whistle a tune, or with tune-like intention, as opposed to wolf-whistling or calling your sheepdog), do you actually whistle, and when do you do it?

I was passive-aggressively whistled at by a bloke heading for a lift I'd just entered a few weeks ago. I held the door for him but he made firm and consistent eye contact with me and while whistling a non-tune louder and louder as he approached the lift. It was very odd and slightly menacing hmm

YouTheCat Mon 29-May-17 13:05:19

Do I whistle?

Only if the winds in the right direction and I've put my knickers on back to front. grin

beanzmeanzheinz Mon 29-May-17 13:05:26

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jil0WCh_UoQ

Packergator Mon 29-May-17 13:07:27

I whistle absent-mindedly all the time, but always impeccably in tune and never with menace; that bloke just sounds like a loon! Currently teaching my 2 year old to whistle. He's a natural. smile

TheLambShankRedemption Mon 29-May-17 13:08:13

I can whistle a tune.

Can't make it louder by putting fingers at the sides of my mouth though <jealous>

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 29-May-17 13:08:36

Sometimes.

I'm not at all menacing though.

OhTheRoses Mon 29-May-17 13:10:20

No. Why would I?

pincha Mon 29-May-17 13:11:58

I whistle along to music, I don't whistle tunes to myself.

only one thing I know how to do well... ink{https://g.co/kgs/YSzxzU\g.co/kgs/YSzxz]]U}

Cocolepew Mon 29-May-17 13:12:08

I occasionally whistle tunelessy, I'm not very good at it.
I work with a bloke who whistles all the time.

kaytee87 Mon 29-May-17 13:12:15

I can whistle but don't, hate the noise. My mum whistles tunes and I've got to ask her to be quiet as it's so irritating.

pincha Mon 29-May-17 13:13:08

Oops

try again

BromptonCocktail Mon 29-May-17 13:19:07

I can't believe I voluntarily clicked on Peppa Pig just then!

Hmm, it's interesting that it's a skill most of us have but rarely use. I must admit that while I'm prone to a bit of indoor whistling I don't think I'd do it in public, mostly because I really don't enjoy the sound of others whistling (I say 'others' but I'm struggling to recall hearing a woman whistle at all; my dad taught me) especially when it's that weird non-tune noodling.

BromptonCocktail Mon 29-May-17 13:21:41

@pincha great grin

I thought for a dreadful moment you'd posted 'Young Folks' by Peter Paul & Bjorn!

LivingInMidnight Mon 29-May-17 13:22:09

I whistle all the time at home, but not anywhere else. Sometimes my song choices might be considered menacing, I guess 🤔. Wicked witch of the west song or the imperial march.

MiladyThesaurus Mon 29-May-17 13:25:09

I can't whistle. Neither can DH, nor the children. I don't think the PILs can either.

I can't click my fingers either.

I have had to adopt a different set of irritating habits instead.

TheBeaconsAreLit Mon 29-May-17 13:30:35

My grandad taught me to whistle when I was about 6 and it's actually one of my greatest talents grin
I can whistle impeccably in tune, much better than I can sing, so I tend to whistle when I'm on my own/in the car/in the shower. I don't do it at work though, I was told off so often for doing it at school during lessons that I trained myself out of doing it absent-mindedly.

BellyBean Mon 29-May-17 13:33:05

I whistle, usually at home but often in the street absentmindedly, though I stop if someone approaches.

Found myself whistling v loudly in a queue after seeing le mis at the cinema oops.

LivingInMidnight Mon 29-May-17 13:33:43

Beacons I think it's one of my greatest talents too grin.

TlentifiniMaarhaysu Mon 29-May-17 13:35:15

I whistle now and again. Was informed on one occasion (by an older woman) that it "isn't ladylike".

Maudlinmaud Mon 29-May-17 13:36:21

I was told as a child that girls who whistle make Our Lady cry. (Mary)
I was told many similar things. Is it any wonder I questioned my religion. Anyway my dc whistle away to themselves and call the dogs etc.

Rubyslippers7780 Mon 29-May-17 13:36:50

I can whistle...but don't usually. Can also whistle sheepdog commands...

Miniwookie Mon 29-May-17 13:36:55

Beanz that's my favourite ever Peppa moment. And I've seen them all many, many times

putdownyourphone Mon 29-May-17 13:38:23

I whistle all the time - got it off my dad and my grandad who both do/did it.

RegTheMonkey1 Mon 29-May-17 13:39:52

Maudlinmaud I was told that too by the nuns in primary school. Mind you we were also told never to wear patent leather shoes as men would be able to see our underwear reflected in them. So, no, I can't whistle at all.

Maudlinmaud Mon 29-May-17 13:42:36

Reg The nuns! <nods> everyone else seemed to lick their arses except me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now