Talk

Advanced search

To wish it wasnt a two horse race?

(10 Posts)
NapQueen Sun 28-May-17 19:33:50

Labour or Conservative.

All the will in the world wont change it. I hate that there are other parties who dont get airtime, dont get a chance.

I wish all the parties had a fighting chance - that if I voted for, say, The Green Party, that there was even a smidge of a possibility.

nina2b Sun 28-May-17 20:05:18

Actually it isn't a two horse race. In Scotland it most certainly is not. Nor in Wales.
Are you perhaps viewing this from an English perspective?

nina2b Sun 28-May-17 20:06:22

Perhaps you should try broadening your horizons.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 28-May-17 20:08:52

I don't. You need a decisive majority. Nothing would ever happen otherwise.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Sun 28-May-17 20:15:49

As long as you have a FPTP system it will always be a two-horse race. Until that changes, or people embrace the concept of coalition as a good thing rather than preferring one party to dominate, then it's not going to change.

NapQueen Sun 28-May-17 20:25:59

Yes I think its the FPTP thing that frustrates.

Peoples vote should be a clear tally point to a party and most points wins.

user1471441738 Sun 28-May-17 20:35:19

FPTP sucks. I had a choice of 5 candidates.

I picked my third favourite (Labour) to reduce the chances of my fourth favourite (Conservative) taking the seat from him.

I'm feeling glad that my 5th favourite (UKIP) is standing here despite basically having no purpose in existing anymore. The split of the xenophobic vote may yet keep the Tories out - unless the two parties I actually like better persuade enough people like me that they have a chance of winning and let the Tory in!

It's totally mad and quite depressing.

MrsPughSingsSleafordMods Sun 28-May-17 20:46:48

I feel exactly the same OP. The blue/red stranglehold frustrates me the older I get. Having seen both parties in government over the last four decades I feel whichever we get they are equally unimpressive. I think both are complacent, I think four year terms are too short to develop meaningful long term policies that have impact and I hate that both parties are influenced by their big hitting funders. I'd love to see a new way, coalition or a progressive alliance for instance.

nocake Sun 28-May-17 21:11:19

FPTP is probably the least representative electoral system (only beaten by the US presidential elections) and we should get rid of it.

minipie Sun 28-May-17 21:27:18

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now