Talk

Advanced search

How are you planning to vote if you earn over £80,000

(404 Posts)
howtovote Sun 28-May-17 19:12:38

Just wondering the above really.
I can't stand the conservatives and always assumed I would vote Labour in this election, however with the tax increase over £80k I feel I'd be shooting myself in the foot a bit.
What do others think?

Nousernameforme Sun 28-May-17 19:17:30

ODFOD

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 28-May-17 19:18:12

Worst stealth boast EVER.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 28-May-17 19:18:14

It's only a very small amount of extra tax to pay, unless you earn a lot more than £80,000. I don't think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot at all.

MrsDustyBusty Sun 28-May-17 19:20:09

HELLO. I EARN A LOT OF MONEY. HOWEVER, MY PRINCIPLES COST 5P.

Saltandpepperpig Sun 28-May-17 19:21:19

Labour always. If I get down on my luck (which is likely) they will be the ones I want there. Also, by voting Tory i feel I would be protecting only those in fortunate positions, who most of the time are not the ones whom are in need of protection.

howtovote Sun 28-May-17 19:24:25

It's not a stealth post at all, it's a genuine question. I work very hard and a lot of hours in a stressful job.
It's just something I'm undecided on, I'm sure there will be others in my situation who are feeling the same.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 28-May-17 19:24:29

I have been told, that it's not just the extra possible 5% tax hike to say 45% it's the taking away of tax allowance your allowed before you hit the the limit.

You could be looking at almost 73% all told if say you earn 90k

I'm happy to be corrected

Joey7t8 Sun 28-May-17 19:24:41

Lib Dem. It's not the personal extra tax I worry about; it's the effect that upping corp tax would have. My fear is that it will result in very large companies moving their businesses abroad. It'll probably also result in very high earners avoiding UK tax.

The annual tax income to the treasury has steadily increased over the past 7 years since the coalition came in and tax rates were gradually lowered. Why change something that's working?

Ecureuil Sun 28-May-17 19:25:31

Labour. We can afford to lose a bit of money in taxes. Disabled people, carers etc can't afford to lose any more than they already have.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 28-May-17 19:25:57

My heart bleeds for you

biscuit

OhTheRoses Sun 28-May-17 19:27:23

I'll be voting LD (due to the social care announcements). I have voted Conservative at every single election since 1979. I've delivered, canvassed, run committee rooms, chaired ball committees, written references for ppc's.

Not entirely relevant to the q as I only earn about £60k. DH will vote Conservative. Was out with them for seven hours yesterday. We both voted Brexit but he is marginally less pissed off than me.

The additional tax won't be paid any way. It will be filtered into Trusts. The sick bit is that DH will earn even more as a result.

howtovote Sun 28-May-17 19:27:48

I really don't know why people feel the need to be nasty, if it doesn't apply to you then you don't have to answer.
Thank you to those who have given me a helpful response

PotPlantAddict Sun 28-May-17 19:27:51

Considering the social erosion that the Tories are planning I would vote labour despite immensely disliking JC.

You are in a privileged position, and should be able to accommodate the extra tax without having a massive impact on quality of life. The same can not be said for those at the receiving end of the Tory's cuts.

Delurked Sun 28-May-17 19:28:42

Well I don't mind giving you a serious answer OP.

I'm undecided. I would happily pay more tax if I thought it would be spent on policies I agreed with. I cannot vote for Labour as I think Corbyn would be a poor leader and cannot contemplate the idea of Abbott and McDonnell as Home Sec and Chancellor. Their manifesto is also too far-left and crowd pleasing for me (mass nationalisation and special rail tickets for football fans??) I like some Tory policies and like Theresa May as a leader, but wish they were more left leaning on some social policies. Lib Dems tick a lot of my boxes so it might be them. My ideal govt was the last coalition - Conservative strength on the economy with the Lib Dems to hold them in check on social issues.

StinkPickle Sun 28-May-17 19:29:07

Conservative. So shoot me hmm

Semaphorically Sun 28-May-17 19:29:47

Lib Dem. But not because of the tax policies of any of the parties. Although I do also agree with Joey7t8.

SeaWitchly Sun 28-May-17 19:29:49

DH is a high earner and we plan to vote Labour.

It is only a relatively small tax rise over £80k which I feel we can afford and I also believe strongly in funding public services for everyone. It makes sense that those earning the most pay the most into the communal pot imo.

And it doesn't always correlate that those who earn the most work the hardest either, as a society we owe a debt of gratitude to those who are employed in a public service role for the good of society rather than their bank balance; i.e. nurses, paramedics and police. I think they are deserve a pay rise in keeping with inflation and the cost of living and I like Labour's stance on this issue.

Believeitornot Sun 28-May-17 19:30:12

I've not heard surging about removing of the personal allowance and I doubt we'd have 73% removed. That's quite a misunderstand of tax.

I'm voting libdem. I would vote labour but there's no point in my Tory constituency. Only the lib dems have a chance of ousting the Tories.

Check who your local mp was and their majority plus who's come second in the last 2 elections. If you don't want the Tories, then vote for who came nearest to outing them.

If I could vote labour, I would. I earn plenty in a stressful job and don't think that 5% is going to make me a pauper.

Doje Sun 28-May-17 19:30:48

Labour. I vote for what is best for the country.

What is best for the country is best for me.

Ecureuil Sun 28-May-17 19:31:15

Conservative. So shoot me hmm

Why would we? I imagine a large percentage of the population will vote conservative. No one is going to go round shooting them all.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 28-May-17 19:31:23

In real terms the tax increase will hardly effect you at all. Have you worked out what the increase will mean for you in pounds?

Sit that next to police and nurse wages.

FourEyesGood Sun 28-May-17 19:34:01

I work very hard and a lot of hours in a stressful job.

Not like the rest of us, then. Me, I barely work at all (only around 60 hours a week) in a feet-up kind of job (secondary teaching) for £36,000.

You either have principles, or you don't. You seem to have sold yours.

WildNightsWithAndyDay Sun 28-May-17 19:34:16

I'm voting Labour for the first time ever. Always voted Lib Dem before but Labour only hope of ousting Tories round here. I'm a SAHM but dh earns a lot (not boasting before anyone says that, it's relevant). I figure the small impact in take home pay will feel a lot worse than having to pay for private medical under Tories.

I might feel slightly differently if family income was closer to £80k so tax increase had a bigger impact. I still couldn't bring myself to ever vote Tory though.

FourEyesGood Sun 28-May-17 19:36:15

I really don't know why people feel the need to be nasty, if it doesn't apply to you then you don't have to answer.

Are you REALLY saying that we can only post on this thread if we earn over £80,000? Christ on a bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now