Talk

Advanced search

To buy a car?

(12 Posts)
moutonfou Sun 28-May-17 18:23:14

I used to drive to work. DH has now started a job where he needs the car.

I've started getting public transport but I hate it. Route takes me out of my way (into and then back out of a city centre even though I work out of city, as there's no direct route) so it takes 2hrs a day where driving takes 1hr. That's when it runs smoothly, which it doesn't always as it's incredibly unreliable. I don't feel safe, because tickets are never checked so there are quite often drunks and creeps freeloading who have made comments to me and other women. It's £90/month.

I want a car. I'm not a cash buyer so it would be finance. The cheapest finance deals I can find are around £120/month for 3 years - then I have to add insurance (£450/yr), petrol (£60/month) and parking (£90/month, yes it's steep where I work sad )

It's pretty expensive and we're also trying to save up for a house deposit. Part of me wonders if I should just put up with public transport and keep the money, or if life's too short and I should pay a bit for the comfort/time saved by car?

Branleuse Sun 28-May-17 18:25:54

cant your dh take it in turns to get the bus? Why should it be you?
if not then I think you need a car really if you can, but cant you get a cheap secomd hand one rather than an expensive hire purchase

Pinkheart5917 Sun 28-May-17 18:28:03

Does your dh go further than you? As that is the only reason why he should g the car each day, of his travelling the same distance take it in turns

I think seen as your saving for a house deposit it would be foolish to spend money on a second car, what do you want more the deposit or the car?

specialsubject Sun 28-May-17 18:29:51

Cars do not have to cost that much. £ 500 will get you mobile.

MrsJamin Sun 28-May-17 18:31:57

What about cycling?

ladyvimes Sun 28-May-17 18:39:30

If you can afford that can you not just save for a few months and buy a cheap second hand car outright. Cheaper to insure and no monthly finance payments.

moutonfou Sun 28-May-17 20:52:54

Thanks yes maybe waiting would be better. DH needs the car as he has to visit clients, I just sit in an office.

Brittbugs80 Mon 29-May-17 11:18:19

Can't he drop you and pick you up on his way to and from work?

SoyUnPerdedor2 Mon 29-May-17 12:18:37

Older second hand car.
Cheaper to buy and insure.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Mon 29-May-17 12:22:00

The £120 payment a month for three years is low, presumably you'll not eventually own it without paying the remainder of the value after three years?

happypoobum Mon 29-May-17 12:25:08

Can you not get a cheaper second hand car and get a loan?

Tattsyrup Mon 29-May-17 15:35:32

A bank loan is often cheaper than car finance or leasing (and having been granted credit and managing it improves your credit rating, which is good for when you're looking for your mortgage). A small, manageable bank loan could get you a second hand car. Something small and a few years old won't cost much upfront, and a small engine would mean cheaper insurance and tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now