Talk

Advanced search

Taking my mums prescription medicines to Spain

(33 Posts)
Mothersdaughter321 Sun 28-May-17 10:14:06

Yesterday morning a parcel arrived from my mother's partner containing her prescription drugs and her prescription notes in her name. That's quite a lot of medication looks like a six month supply of five different types of medicine.

I'm going out to visit her in Spain this week,travelling alone with my two young daughters. She wants me to take this large amount of prescription medicine. She hasn't even asked if I'm happy to do it, and the truth be told I'm not really very sure. Will if I get stopped at customs and asked if these drugs are mine? They are obviously not so I would need to answer no. What would happen to my children if I'm being questioned? The last few times I've travelled to her I have had my case opened.

We are planning only on carrying hand luggage and I can't find any advice online about whether carrying medication for a relative is OK. Everything is in sealed original plastics and I have the original prescriptions in her name.

I know that if I arrive without the medication she will be upset with me and it will cause an argument. To be honest I'd rather not go if we are going to argue - we have a history and relations between us are strained as it is.

What do I do? She needs the medication for her health so it's important she gets them

specialsubject Sun 28-May-17 10:17:14

Post it on to her. Why didn't partner do that?

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sun 28-May-17 10:17:48

Why not ring the airline and ask?

MrsJayy Sun 28-May-17 10:17:58

I think you should contact the airline for a definate answer i know that isn't what you want to hear but i think you might get stopped at security because person isn't with you

AntigoneJones Sun 28-May-17 10:18:03

put it in the post

TroubleinDaFamily Sun 28-May-17 10:18:51

Just to clarify, are you gettting free bed and board for a week >

EllaHen Sun 28-May-17 10:19:27

I wouldn't do it. My Mum wouldn't ask me, let alone expect it.

Bettyspants Sun 28-May-17 10:22:57

It could cause a problem. I had some strong painkillers in my bag for an EU flight and had to produce my prescription for them , I'm not sure how you'd get on with a large amount of meds in someone else's name. Before saying no just ring up the airline and ask .

MrsJayy Sun 28-May-17 10:26:13

I have to take a large amount of medical supplies with me on holiday i have a letter and prescription slip and i still have been questioned and searched not always

loveka Sun 28-May-17 10:28:00

Just put them in the hold.

If any are liquid you can't have them in hand luggage anyway.

Or post them.

She obviously needs the medicine though?

harderandharder2breathe Sun 28-May-17 10:28:03

I'd imagine it could be a problem if they're not yours, even if you have the prescription.

Call the airline to check though, if they say it would be an issue then tell your mum sorry it's not allowed.

Nocabbageinmyeye Sun 28-May-17 10:30:57

Why didn't your mother's partner just post them to her directly?

Run4Fun Sun 28-May-17 10:32:09

Why does she need a six month supply and why didn't she take her medication with her when travelling?
Carry what she needs for the duration of her visit. Explain to hr GP what has happened and ask her GP for a letter to go with the medication for the flight and ring the airline to enquire about the procedure.

BareGrylls Sun 28-May-17 10:35:51

Why doesn't she get the meds in Spain if she lives there? Is the NHS aware that she lives overseas?
I'd take the most urgent item to tide her over until she gets a prescription locally.

PinkDaffodil2 Sun 28-May-17 10:36:06

If she is living in Spain her GP really shouldn't be dishing out medication like that, it's possible the GP doesn't know so bear that in mind before ringing them.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Sun 28-May-17 10:36:15

Why is your mum's partner posting you her medication?

I presume your mum lives in Spain which is why you're taking it to her. Why is she not being prescribed this medication by a Spanish doctor?

To echo what everyone has said, you may well run into problems carrying a large amount of medication in someone else's name.

ConferencePear Sun 28-May-17 10:36:20

I travelled to France last week with two month's worth of prescription tablets. I kept them in the sealed bag which had the chemist's label on just in case I was challenged but I wasn't asked about them.

TroubleinDaFamily Sun 28-May-17 10:38:23

NHS tourist ?

GlitterGlue Sun 28-May-17 10:43:56

Take a months' worth in your hand luggage and tell her to sort out a dr in spain. I'm surprised any gp would prescribe six months' worth.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 28-May-17 10:44:30

My DH regularly has to take three months worth of nine different types of meds as well as liquid injections as he works abroad at the moment. He has never had an issue ( he is even allowed to take the injections in hand luggage as they must not be stored below a certain temp). He has to show a letter from his consultant that prescribed them and GP explaining why he needs to travel with them and their storage requirements. If you have a letter from her GP explaining why you are carrying them you should be fine but yes check with airline and airport first. My DH doesn't post his (to himself at his overseas address IYSWIM) due to the risk of customs opening them and confiscating or destroying them (even with the right paper work) so I don't think it's unreasonable if your DM doesn't want to post them.

LIZS Sun 28-May-17 10:48:23

Why is her p sorting this out for her in UK if she lives in Spain? If she has chronic conditions should she not have a gp in Spain,

MatildaTheCat Sun 28-May-17 11:15:15

It depends what the drugs are in terms of customs. For opiates you should ideally have a doctors letter explaining why they are needed.

I would book a hold luggage and bang them in a case to be checked in. That's highly unlikely to cause any problems at all. Whether you pay for that or ask your DM to pay is entirely up to you

I travel with heavy duty meds very regularly.

Mothersdaughter321 Sun 28-May-17 11:19:46

Thanks everyone. My mum spends a lot of time in Spain for her health but she is domiciled in U.K. I have no idea why she thought it a good idea to have her partner send the meds to me to take. She didn't even ask me and proabably didn't think it through. I've spoken to her on the phone and explained that I can't take them and will post them to her. Feel much better about that.

specialsubject Sun 28-May-17 14:22:33

Excellent - common sense prevails.

Your mum needs to be ordinarily resident in the uk to use a gp.

Rossigigi Sun 28-May-17 15:16:52

When I took my meds on hols last year I needed a doctors note with my name and address plus a list of the meds I was taking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now