Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder why the DM would make this up?

(17 Posts)
Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 09:54:31

Ok, so the Daily Fail is not known for its fact checking but what is the point of this story?
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4536196/Barack-Obama-goes-stroll-Bologna.html

This is my home town (have namechanged for this!) and NOBODY saw Obama here apart from the Daily Fail journalist ergo: he wasn't here. What is the point in them lying about something like this?

DirtyNell Sun 28-May-17 10:02:32

So the buildings and background stuff isn't Bologna?

Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 10:05:54

I don't think so. It definitely looks Italian but there is nothing that looks specifically like Bologna.

Orlantina Sun 28-May-17 10:08:13

Well, he's been somewhere in Italy?

twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=obama%20bologna&src=typd

Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 10:12:20

All those twitter pics go back to the DM. It was reported in the Italian press that neither the police or the city authorities were aware of him being in Bologna.
www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/bologna/cronaca/obama-1.3144589

Orlantina Sun 28-May-17 10:18:05

Well someone must have seen him somewhere......it's not like he isn't well known grin

Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 10:20:11

I'm sure he was in Italy but I am also pretty sure that nobody actually saw him in Bologna - bizarre!

Whosthemummynow Sun 28-May-17 10:21:36

Not sure the police would need notice of his arrival anymore.

Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 10:25:37

But someone would have seen him apart from the DM journalist and posted in on social media, surely?

It sounds like an unannounced wander around while he's on holiday - for more formal things the police are definitely informed. He was in Edinburgh on Friday and the place was crawling with police, armed snipers on roofs, circling helicopter, the lot.

BillSykesDog Sun 28-May-17 10:36:25

There are almost 400,000 people in Bologna. I'm not entirely convinced you're certain nobody saw him. And if he was there as a private individual there would be no reason for the authorities to know.

However the DM is notorious for poor fact checking so it could be somewhere vaguely nearby but not the city itself. Or he could even be in Bologne??

PigletJohn Sun 28-May-17 10:40:12

"mobbed by adoring fans"

suggests that somebody saw him.

About 99% of them will have had photo-taking phones and will have posted them on twit and face.

If not, it didn't happen.

Bolognaismytown Sun 28-May-17 10:41:37

Mystery solved! The pictures were taken in Buonconvento (nowhere near Bologna but hey, it begins with a B which probably counts as factchecking for the DM).
video.repubblica.it/edizione/firenze/sorpresa-a-buonconvento-barack-obama-passeggia-nel-borgo-e-visita-una-chiesa/276726/277313

Mustwearahat Sun 28-May-17 10:42:49

I suspect the DM doesn't know it's way around Italy. Bologna, Siena, what's the difference when you're writing like a 7 year old?!

alreadytaken Sun 28-May-17 11:13:26

someone misheard the name of the place.

Andrewofgg Sun 28-May-17 11:18:07

The DM lies just to keep on practice.

ChuffMuffin Sun 28-May-17 11:22:39

The DM print any old shite stories they think people will click on. All they want is for you to click the story, and then they get advertising money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now